RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Clearance needed for front lip on Artisan Spirits front splitter

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-16, 07:53 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Clearance needed for front lip on Artisan Spirits front splitter

I am considering the Artisan Spirits front lip and side skirts for my otherwise stock RC F, but I have a steep driveway. This morning we checked out the minimum clearance and it was about 2"-2.5" at the closest point. Will the AS front splitter rub with it installed on my car? Thus will it lower the front edge by more than 2"?

BTW, this is the kit I am talking about:
http://www.artisanspirits.co.jp/car-...-bl/index.html

- Dr. Edward Cheung
Old 10-14-16, 02:05 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't have an AS front lip specifically, but I think you also need to worry about the length it adds to your the bottom of your front bumper too. Adding that lip, you will lose ~2" or more of clearance from the height you're at now, but you're also adding an extra 2.5-3" in length to the bottom of your front bumper. Depending on how steep and wide your driveway is, you might not be able to clear that since that lip would stick out more.
Old 10-14-16, 03:04 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

^^ This.

I already have some issues with scraping at times at the stock height with the stock body. I have trained myself to not park with the front or rear over curbs or parking blocks. I had some close calls...

I will keep the stock ride height and not likely get any body kits that reduce the clearance. My car travels all over the country, so I have no idea what I will need to clear.

I still intend to supercharge this ride (or turbocharge if available). But I don't think I'll go more than ~600 bhp in order to keep it a decent touring car. I'm going to invest in another used 2015 RC F that will be a garage queen. That one will get the works. Body kit, lowered, and 1000 whp (if possible on the stock internals).
Old 10-15-16, 01:55 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

If you want to lower ride height + add front lip and be able to clear your drive way, you might need:
-Customized Ramp... lol
-Air Suspension via Air Cup on Coilovers, you can still track your car
-Air Suspension via Air Bags
-Air Bags on Coilovers (idk if it really exist but the blue bagged RCF supposedly has it)
Old 10-15-16, 06:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

If your minimum clearance was measured with the car nose first, straight onto the ramp, then you should be good with the lip kit provided you approach the ramp at an angle. Reason is, there is less front overhang in this approach. To be sure, measure the clearance.

Old 10-16-16, 06:30 AM
siredward
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I made this template at the lowest point of clearance. I am posting this in case it is useful to others with a stock setup and a ten degree driveway. I always back into my driveway. But going the other direction should be the same.

The inch grid is lined up with horizontal when the car is level. With info from the distributor, the AS lip extends out 2-3" and down about 1.5". So I have about 1 inch clearance for a straight approach. I will have to decide if I can live with that. I can always unbolt it and clean up any scrapes in the future.

I could also follow your suggestions (thank you guys) by angling my approach, but we keep a minivan at the opening of the two-car driveway, and I would not want to be dealing with the hassle of that maneuver every day.

Old 10-16-16, 01:51 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

I have the AIMGAIN lip and it scraps. Right now I'm running PENSKE coils, but seriously considered the KW V3 coils with the Umbrella System front only. I've run KW before and loved them. It will raise the front end hydraulically from a remote . KW is one of the more costly manufacturers, but worth the dough.

like Corrado said and always approach at an angle