RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone with Borla exhaust changed the muffler tip?

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-17, 01:36 PM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

highly recommend the borla. i've convinced a few ppl to get it for the RCF. It just sounds amazing. During install, have the shop do some spot welds around the clamp to secure the setup but be able to break the weld when/if you want to remove the exhaust. I do agree the tips are a bit small, but at the end of the day it's negligible. Just keep the tips clean and you should be fine.
Old 02-04-17, 11:22 PM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

My cold start video. It sounds amazing.
The following 2 users liked this post by IMCHIA:
5starauto (02-06-17), RCF100 (02-05-17)
Old 02-06-17, 01:23 PM
RCF100
Driver

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by flowrider
Yes, that's exactly what I am saying. My experience with them goes back to my G35 days, Back 15 or so years. David Borla and I had a rather spirited eMail exchange back in the day. As I said, Borla is a budget exhaust, it just doesn't fit very well and has a very poorly designed clamping system. I recommend anyone who has a Borla to get all joints welded. Over time the clamping system probably will leak.

There are other choices besides the two you mentioned.

Lou
I will do more research into this thanks for bringing it up. Most of the systems for the RCF are far too timid sounding in my opinion. Most aggressive options seem to be GThaus and borla.
Old 02-08-17, 11:27 PM
yooniverse
Lead Lap

Received 28 Likes on 26 Posts

Is is true that borla exhaust has excessive drone?
Old 02-09-17, 06:32 AM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

I haven't experience any excessive drone at all. I actually don't think it drones at all.
Old 02-09-17, 07:37 AM
Sparker
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by yooniverse
Is is true that borla exhaust has excessive drone?
I've had the exhaust on for 7months now and I daily drive my RCF. I frequently make road trips from NY to Boston and Philly for work and there is zero drone in the cabin at cruising speed... now if you're doing an extremely slow acceleration holding one gear, then yes you're going to purposely induce drone. But under normal driving and cruising circumstances there is none.
Old 02-09-17, 06:23 PM
RYLITT
Pole Position

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

+1 on absolutely NO DRONE at all with the Borla exhaust. I've driven at a variation of speeds for different lengths of time with no drone.
Old 02-09-17, 09:00 PM
Danblanco
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It has ZERO drone.
Old 08-08-17, 04:12 PM
davidborla
Driver School Candidate

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the kind words and constructive criticism guys. Regarding quality, please remember we warranty our systems for one million miles. If you have any issues with our parts whatsoever please hold us to it. We wouldn't hold the position we've held in the market for nearly 40 years without taking care of our customers.
The following 2 users liked this post by davidborla:
IMCHIA (08-09-17), Meraki Autoworks (08-08-17)
Old 08-08-17, 07:09 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Rafi and RR-RACING.COM will sell a borla with modified tips.
look for it on their website.
love my borla sound. No drone at 85mph and at 2k rpm in 8th.
will start to get loud at 3k plus
Old 08-09-17, 09:48 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

BORLA is a top notch product and most certainly a company that stands behind their warranty. I know, since I had a minor issue and BORLA gave me a whole new rear section ( no questions asked )!! As for drone, there is non on just the borla cat back. Introduce PPE headers into the mix, man that thing is crazy loud. I love the sound of my car, yet to "quite" the car I tend to drive in N or Eco mode. Almost always, I get in the RCF and its two clicks into sport plus. Loud or not, I love the sound. Its def the best bang for buck, as well the best sounding of all the systems.

I independently had a "rev" off with a few RCF buds. My Borla ( sans headers at the time ), An Apexi, and a Joe-Z. The owner seeking the new exhaust went with BORLA over the other 2, even though the tips were a bit smaller. Why? " it just sounds the best ".
People always look twice and doubt that the rich v8 growl is coming from a Lexus. Its always funny. Then when trying to catch up, they only see the tails lol

Another happy bola owner here.
~JB
The following 2 users liked this post by JB5674:
IMCHIA (08-09-17), Meraki Autoworks (08-09-17)
Old 08-09-17, 10:46 AM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JB5674
BORLA is a top notch product and most certainly a company that stands behind their warranty. I know, since I had a minor issue and BORLA gave me a whole new rear section ( no questions asked )!! As for drone, there is non on just the borla cat back. Introduce PPE headers into the mix, man that thing is crazy loud. I love the sound of my car, yet to "quite" the car I tend to drive in N or Eco mode. Almost always, I get in the RCF and its two clicks into sport plus. Loud or not, I love the sound. Its def the best bang for buck, as well the best sounding of all the systems.

I independently had a "rev" off with a few RCF buds. My Borla ( sans headers at the time ), An Apexi, and a Joe-Z. The owner seeking the new exhaust went with BORLA over the other 2, even though the tips were a bit smaller. Why? " it just sounds the best ".
People always look twice and doubt that the rich v8 growl is coming from a Lexus. Its always funny. Then when trying to catch up, they only see the tails lol

Another happy bola owner here.
~JB
Have you dyno it before and after headers? Any numbers?
Did it get much louder with PPE headers than just Borla?
Old 08-14-17, 07:31 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Here's a shot of my tips from last month, installed at RR obviously. Love them!

Old 08-15-17, 10:50 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Originally Posted by yellow2112
Here's a shot of my tips from last month, installed at RR obviously. Love them!

Can you post more pictures!!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 08-15-17, 11:19 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by IMCHIA
Have you dyno it before and after headers? Any numbers?
Did it get much louder with PPE headers than just Borla?
Dyno'd was before with drop in only, as well post headers. Basically, all the dyno's can be seen at rr-racing's website. Exhaust its just that, the dyno numbers for the RCF vary by a few hp and really this variable is dependent on the environment of the car / where the dyno is taking place. The overall difference from just the intake, drop in filter, and exhaust to the addition of the ppe headers is a big jump. Introduce the tune ( also RR Racing ) and the car really shines from up top. 3rd gear became the power gear. I have had my car dyno'd at RR a few times, and everything matches up to what they posted. In some cases, my car was " the dyno" that was used.

Good luck
~JB .

Quick Reply: Anyone with Borla exhaust changed the muffler tip?