RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Advice on owning a RCF

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-16, 06:48 PM
superrcf
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Advice on owning a RCF

Hey guys! I'm about to consider on getting a Brand new 2016 Lexus RC F but its a bit up there!. Looking to upgrade my car and its going to be my daily driver. I currently own a Supercharged Honda S2000 making 420hp/285tq. ran 12.8 in a 1/4 mile its a amazing car but its time for an upgrade. Not sure how the RCF feel compared to my S2k. I got someone that's willing to buy my car and the only 2 car in the market i like at the moment is the BMW M4 or the Lexus RCF. Im more towards the RCF, I'm debating if i should get a brand new one and work my *** off for one or get a Used one and save 10-15k. Is there any difference in 2015 and 2016 models?
Old 09-12-16, 06:59 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I don't think there was but a couple of changes, like the orange calipers (not sure on all of them) but nuthin' major. There's some other guys on here that should chime in that knows All of the changes, but i don't think any of them had to do with the motor. GL & let us know how it turns out (hopefully NOT the Bimmer though)
Old 09-12-16, 07:06 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Great deals to be had on used now. Definitely find a used one, call around and negotiate until you find a great deal. You may be able to get you color choice with low miles at a very good price if you make some calls. I think most of use on here probably considered and/or have owned M cars, but opted for the RCF as something novel with fresh looks and more reliable as a daily driver. Had an M4 convertible for a week to 10 days end of August and beginning of September. It was a fun car with the top down, but like my RCF better. Cold have kept the M4 longer had I wanted to.

420hp S2000 sounds like a hoot. I have seen a little time in S2000 and Miatas on the track. Completely different driving experience, but I never drove one with the hp you have and the RC F won't be nearly as agile or tossable.

The RCF is an awesome daily driver. Very comfy, great looks, reliable and a joy to drive. Have taken it on many 100 to 200 miles business trips. Mine seemed to get stronger and quicker around 15k or so miles. Have right under 30k now. I liked and still love the looks of the RCF, especially in Orange. The car really pops in Orange.
Old 09-12-16, 07:12 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

I got a CPO RC F with only 6k km and I saved almost 25k all in. Glad I did and would do it all over again if the opportunity would present itself.
Old 09-12-16, 07:25 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

I'm on the CPO boat as well. I will not likely ever buy another brand new car again. I let other people take the initial depreciation hit and buy them in the sub-10k mile range.

Unless I win the lottery. Then I'll have a brand new Lambo in a different color for every day of the week. And probably a LFA.
Old 09-12-16, 07:31 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Even better, find a left over 2015 new and pay close to used cpo
Old 09-12-16, 08:44 PM
superrcf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
I got a CPO RC F with only 6k km and I saved almost 25k all in. Glad I did and would do it all over again if the opportunity would present itself.
Wow where do you live and is that even possible lol. I went to deal one today they didnt have no RCF in their lot and 25k is what i was going to put down to ease my payments. 70k otd is a lot but i should know it from the start that its a high end car. Trying to find one in range of the 50-60k so I wouldnt have to worry that much on payments. Thats not including insurance ><
Old 09-12-16, 09:12 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

If you're maxing out what you can afford, stay away from BMW. I wouldn't own one of them outside of warranty if my life depended on it. Best friend works service at a BMW dealership, says they are terribly unreliable compared to Toyota products
Old 09-13-16, 07:16 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Stick with the Japanese reliability
Old 09-13-16, 03:53 PM
Dsully
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Wow, 70k otd is what you should be paying for a new RC-F. Have the dealer lookup the used inventory in that state and they can arrange to have the car shipped to you, if you were serious about buying it. Depending on the options, and the mileage you should not be paying more than 60k OTD.
Old 09-13-16, 04:21 PM
superrcf
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Dsully
Wow, 70k otd is what you should be paying for a new RC-F. Have the dealer lookup the used inventory in that state and they can arrange to have the car shipped to you, if you were serious about buying it. Depending on the options, and the mileage you should not be paying more than 60k OTD.
Im not to sure if it's a smart choice for me to be buying a brand new rcf. My budget for a new car was fianacing 30-35k and I'm pushing it to 45k just for my dream car. I'm thinking real hard if it's smart to even invest everything into a car
Old 09-13-16, 05:16 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by superrcf
Im not to sure if it's a smart choice for me to be buying a brand new rcf. My budget for a new car was fianacing 30-35k and I'm pushing it to 45k just for my dream car. I'm thinking real hard if it's smart to even invest everything into a car
Everyone has different views on what percentage of their income they are willing to invest into a vehicle. I personally could afford a much more expensive vehicle than the RC F. But I like to spend money on mods and I also want to retire by age 50.

If $45k is your max, I wouldn't recommend a RC F. I would think that any RC F currently going for $45k is going to be in some serious need for maintenance (assuming it's not been beat to death). Brakes (front only) and tires alone can put you out over $3k right from the start.

Edit: Scratch that. I misunderstood your post. You are planning to put down a lot and then finance up to $45k? If that's the case and you are actually paying more total cost for a RC F then you shouldn't get hit with maintenance issues right off the bat. But you should still keep in mind if you are pushing your finances to the limit just to purchase the RC F that the maintenance costs are not cheap (as compared to other Lexus models). The Brakes are roughly $500 just for the pads on 1 wheel. The tires are roughly $425 per tire and they don't last but maybe 20k miles if you are lucky. Make sure you can handle the cost of ownership, not just the car payment. I'm sure there is somewhere you can look it up...

Last edited by Davew77; 09-13-16 at 06:08 PM.
Old 09-13-16, 06:07 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

If you are going to put down 25k, you only need to finance 35k max to get in a new leftover 2015. Left overs are everywhere, current 35 units in the states. you just need to negotiate well.
Old 09-13-16, 09:44 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

There are two lemon buy backs about to hit the market. They are up for auction in the 15th. Both are super clean fuel pump noise cars so there is basically nothing wrong with them IMO and the fuel pump noise issue has been resolved. One has 19,000 miles, white/red, performance package and could probably be had for upper $40s. I can send you vin#s so you can Google vin numbers to see where they end up after auction. Message me if interested.
Old 09-14-16, 01:28 AM
ericd1994
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by DougHII
There are two lemon buy backs about to hit the market. They are up for auction in the 15th. Both are super clean fuel pump noise cars so there is basically nothing wrong with them IMO and the fuel pump noise issue has been resolved. One has 19,000 miles, white/red, performance package and could probably be had for upper $40s. I can send you vin#s so you can Google vin numbers to see where they end up after auction. Message me if interested.
Interesting. DougHII message me if you don't mind

Quick Reply: Advice on owning a RCF