RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Had a custom intake fabricated for my RCF.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-16, 03:04 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts
Default Had a custom intake fabricated for my RCF.

had this made while I was on vacation in August.. dropped my car at a local speed shop and they fabricated this for me, this is stage one there will bee

car was data logged during the fabrication both on the factory and on this intake, results show a 15° temp decrease with this design.
haven't had a chance to put it on a dyno yet want to get my exhaust in place first.

The fabricator is not (yet) a forum vendor so I will not post any details about them or the pricing. you can PM me and I can direct you to them, but I don't want to run afoul of the forum admins publicly posting until they have setup their vendor status.

Name:  4a8f43c0-5785-4476-8331-c0810dee0f6a_zpscmfgnvkx.jpg
Views: 1161
Size:  451.5 KB
Name:  intake1_zpsna57iuty.jpg
Views: 1474
Size:  2.35 MB

Last edited by mjeds; 08-31-16 at 03:08 PM. Reason: blurred company name on intake
Old 08-31-16, 03:23 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Does that eliminate the secondary intake that opens up after 4K rpm?
Old 08-31-16, 03:30 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked
Does that eliminate the secondary intake that opens up after 4K rpm?
yes, that unit is built into the factory air box.

if you look at my image you will see the vacuum line capped off with an orange cap. essentially it is like doing the solenoid disconnect mod allowing the secondary air door to remain open at all rpm levels, the only purpose for it is noise reduction.

for purposes of warranty work swapping back in the factory intake takes about 10 minutes. everything is basically plug and play with the exception of having to unscrew the MAF sensor from the aftermarket intake and reattaching it to the factory air box.

Old 08-31-16, 04:19 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by mjeds
yes, that unit is built into the factory air box.

if you look at my image you will see the vacuum line capped off with an orange cap. essentially it is like doing the solenoid disconnect mod allowing the secondary air door to remain open at all rpm levels, the only purpose for it is noise reduction.

for purposes of warranty work swapping back in the factory intake takes about 10 minutes. everything is basically plug and play with the exception of having to unscrew the MAF sensor from the aftermarket intake and reattaching it to the factory air box.
nice!

hope it doesn't eliminate the noise made when stock secondary intake opens up
Old 08-31-16, 04:29 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ssmoked
nice!

hope it doesn't eliminate the noise made when stock secondary intake opens up
there is no secondary intake, the secondary noise you hear above 3,700 rpm is a flap on the stock air box opening up. it is a vacuum controlled flapper that is closed at low speeds to maintain Lexus quiet, it opens above 3,700 rpm for additional air flow and sound.
since the stock air box is completely removed that 'sound' happens across the rpm band now, not only above 3,700 rpm. however the sound is minimal until you go WOT.
Old 08-31-16, 08:59 PM
AlexisRcF
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks like a nice setup! Very similar to aftermarket intake setups on newer GM LS engines using the hood to enclose the filter. Try to get some vids of wot if possible.
Old 08-31-16, 09:09 PM
ROYALISF
Pole Position

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Very clean custom set up! I'll be looing forward to those dyno numbers
Old 08-31-16, 09:43 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
I doubt very seriously he'll have any difference in the dyno numbers, this is just to let your car breathe a lil' better & it also makes your engine look a lil' better! You probably saved about $500 from what i spent & your's serves the same purpose, but i think mine looks Better & i probably saved an ounce or two because of the titanium!
Attached Thumbnails Had a custom intake fabricated for my RCF.-img_1149.jpg  
Old 09-01-16, 08:54 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by ROYALISF
Originally Posted by johnnyreb
I doubt very seriously he'll have any difference in the dyno numbers, this is just to let your car breathe a lil' better & it also makes your engine look a lil' better! You probably saved about $500 from what i spent & your's serves the same purpose, but i think mine looks Better & i probably saved an ounce or two because of the titanium!
in my experience intakes are good for a few hp,. 5-10 usually, nothing that will really be felt or noticed without additional bolt on mods like headers, exhaust, tuning, yes it's more for looks and sound.

this is basically a "proto type" if you will, there will be some further tweaks to it, smoothing out of the welds, make a different color (maybe blue to match the intake manifold), this was a first run, the guys that fabricated it up want to put together a kit for the RCF so they will be making their molds and such from the design. As I said I don't want to get to much into that aspect of it because they are not vendors on this forum yet, I know they are in talks with the admins about it, so I can't really give too much information publicly.

just throwing it out there as another option, these guys are top notch in what they do, intakes, headers, exhaust, etc. for all makes and models, from a 1963 Stingray to a 2016 Chevy 3500 HD diesel dully. from a 1971 Skyline (I think that was the year they had sitting in the shop might have been a 1972) to a 2015 GT-R, and everything in between Toyota, Nissan, Chevy, Ford, VW, Audi, Etc.
Old 09-01-16, 09:01 AM
LRCSALES
Lead Lap

Received 71 Likes on 52 Posts

i made one for about 200 with the k and n filter element i used and deleted both crank case breathers i used T-bolt clamps Vibrant couplers the crank case breathers i deleted and teed together with a filter that is tucked under the engine cover and that is DEI heat tape
Old 09-05-16, 03:16 PM
thinkblu
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mjeds
had this made while I was on vacation in August.. dropped my car at a local speed shop and they fabricated this for me, this is stage one there will bee

car was data logged during the fabrication both on the factory and on this intake, results show a 15° temp decrease with this design.
haven't had a chance to put it on a dyno yet want to get my exhaust in place first.

The fabricator is not (yet) a forum vendor so I will not post any details about them or the pricing. you can PM me and I can direct you to them, but I don't want to run afoul of the forum admins publicly posting until they have setup their vendor status.

I'm interested in this intake could you pls PM me?
Old 09-05-16, 06:01 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

The intake looks good. I can't wait to see the gains. Does the car sound different with the new intake?
Old 09-05-16, 08:03 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Kira X
The intake looks good. I can't wait to see the gains. Does the car sound different with the new intake?
yes you can hear it across the rpm range. It's mild at low speeds but you can tell it's there. I've seen a few heads turn in opposing traffic when I've made a right or left turn and opened it up, no one expects that sound from a Lexus.
Old 09-11-16, 07:59 PM
Blinems
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice intake mjeds!