RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-16, 01:50 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 288 Likes on 209 Posts

^^^ Hopefully it's the same formula as the Canadian one I have. Heck, mine is "imported" and is a "Product of USA" so it has to be the same...

Note the sticker on the can. Product used to be called " RIM Protectant" so just recently (2015) changed to "Quicksilver Brake Dust Repellent".

Old 09-05-16, 03:46 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Application?

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^It's possible the formula was different in the past. Who knows, but if the formula in the US today is the same as the can I bought here in Canada, man it's worth it. It's been a week and barely any visible dust where by now I would have had to wipe clean my wheels at least twice. As this rate, the claim of "up to one month" is credible.
Did you apply the product with the rotors exposed or did you cover them with a towel?
Old 09-05-16, 05:43 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Update 5

Originally Posted by ISF001
Did you apply the product with the rotors exposed or did you cover them with a towel?
No need to cover the rotors or calipers (directions did not state to cover anything). Very easy application.

Here's Update 5: Drove over 100 km (60+ miles) mixed city/hwy and again, same stellar results with at most an incremental increase in dust around the edge of the rim in some spots (hard to see in the pic). Note the side panel and the lower skirt how dusty they are...

The following users liked this post:
tylon (07-10-17)
Old 09-06-16, 05:16 AM
JT4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 44 Likes on 41 Posts

I hope this helps to clear up any confusion.. The original AA Wheel protectant is shown in the pic below on the right, this is the product I have been using for 5 years. Just recently, maybe 4 months ago I noticed in a Walmart that AA changed the name to Outlast as shown in the pic below on the left. I bought a can but haven't used the Outlast yet because I still have several cans of the original left. I assume the Outlast is the same product just different packaging.

For those of you that have used it and didn't get good results try this before giving up on it. Even though the directions say to spray it liberally, don't apply it heavy. As I mentioned in a previous post, the best results I got were when I apply it lightly.

IMO this way it dries more evenly with less chance of running and clouding the wheel. And as shown in the previous pic I posted in another post it repels the dust fine.

Believe me if it didn't work for me as well as it has I wouldn't have continued using it all these years, and I certainly wouldn't be recommending it to anyone.

Last edited by JT4; 09-06-16 at 05:19 AM.
Old 09-09-16, 03:29 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Do you think this stuff will help me?

I see my detailer in exactly 2 weeks. He's going to be sooo happy.

Edit: I only see the detailer every 3 months. So this is 3 months (9k miles) worth of dust. I may start seeing him monthly, but not do the full detail every month (machine polish and stuff). I also may try this Armor All stuff since I don't intend to keep the OEM rims.

Last edited by Davew77; 09-09-16 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-09-16, 04:38 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Originally Posted by Davew77
Do you think this stuff will help me?

I see my detailer in exactly 2 weeks. He's going to be sooo happy.

Edit: I only see the detailer every 3 months. So this is 3 months (9k miles) worth of dust. I may start seeing him monthly, but not do the full detail every month (machine polish and stuff). I also may try this Armor All stuff since I don't intend to keep the OEM rims.
Nah, your wheels look clean Kidding aside, the dust blends better on the graphite wheels than the polished ones, but I'd still buy a can of AA and apply it.
Old 09-09-16, 04:54 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,281 Posts

I don't intend to keep the OEM rims.
Well, your wheels certainly look dirty But, the standard RCF wheel, IMHO, is the best looking wheel (stock or aftermarket) that Lexus (or BBS) has ever designed. Forged and with a timeless design That's why I have a set on my ISF

Lou
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-09-16, 05:11 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by flowrider
Well, your wheels certainly look dirty But, the standard RCF wheel, IMHO, is the best looking wheel (stock or aftermarket) that Lexus (or BBS) has ever designed. Forged and with a timeless design That's why I have a set on my ISF

Lou
While the color does help to hide the dust, it's the color that I don't like. I'm fine with the design. I prefer lighter color rims on dark vehicles (preferrably chrome). That is why I plan to change them.

I have limited time while working since I work 7 days per week. That's why my rims have been so neglected. I need to start making a little bit of time to maintain them I suppose. I have loads of time between contracts (as much time as I want).
Old 09-09-16, 07:01 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

While the color does help to hide the dust, it's the color that I don't like. I'm fine with the design. I prefer lighter color rims on dark vehicles (preferrably chrome). That is why I plan to change them.

I have limited time while working since I work 7 days per week. That's why my rims have been so neglected. I need to start making a little bit of time to maintain them I suppose. I have loads of time between contracts (as much time as I want).

You're the perfect candidate for applying the AA protectant and likely putting it through a rigorous test far more than I.
Old 09-11-16, 03:46 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
You're the perfect candidate for applying the AA protectant and likely putting it through a rigorous test far more than I.
I'm going to give my detailer a can of this and tell him to put it on for me when he does my detail on the 23rd. After he sees the dust on them now he will probably do it for free to save himself some work the next time.

Last edited by Davew77; 09-11-16 at 03:58 PM.
Old 09-16-16, 09:30 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Default Update 6 - Some spotting and minor accumulation visible

Update 6, some spotting is starting to be more visible and a minor accumulation around the edge of the rim. At this point in time, I have yet to touch the rims or wash the car since I first applied it about 3 weeks ago. I've put on about 400 km since. I need to put some AA protectant on my skirt - it's full of dirt and brake dust!

Last edited by corradoMR2; 09-16-16 at 09:33 AM.
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 09-16-16, 09:07 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

C, i'm not so sure about putting it on my paint but if you do let us know if it helps. I've used it several times now (old & new cans) & i'm just not as impressed as you are with it. I tried applying a lil' & the next time a good bit more (which left the haze) & it mite help some with the dust, there's still a lil' haze on the wheels. If you think about it, since it has a protective coating on it, it's going to have to have some type of layer/haze to it. I just went out there & looked (put it on about 50 miles ago) it looks pretty good but if you wipe your finger across one of the spokes you can see the film on it. Though, mine doesn't have much dust because of the CarboTech's there's still a lil' film because of the AA coating. jmo
Old 09-24-16, 02:10 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

My detailer put paint sealant on the rims this time. I'm just going to wipe them off with a rag now and then and see how it goes.

Last edited by Davew77; 09-24-16 at 02:14 PM.
Lex76 (07-11-19)
Old 12-30-16, 06:04 PM
atikovi
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Can you wax the wheels first before using this product? I'm doing the insides as well and have Meguiars Ultimate I want to use on the wheels before the Armor All.
Old 12-31-16, 05:03 AM
BluByYou
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for all the input on this. Like most I hate dirty wheels and spend tons of time cleaning them. It sure will beat waxing the wheels, which is what I do one one of my cars < wheels are a five spoke so they are easy to clean and wax > The Lexus has the 20 spoke wheels. If this product really work it will be a perfect as the worst part of washing any car is wheel cleaning. I look forward to trying it and will let you all know how it work. Also I have a local company who manufactures there own stuff here in NC, I get my wax and other cleaning product from and will see what they have to combat this.

I want to try the Code Red just to see how it does against what I currently use. and will give y'all a report when done.

Quick Reply: Brake Dust - Testing Armor All Repellent