RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Borla Exhaust System Installed - pic heavy

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-17, 10:20 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 667 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Apaul
Love my Borla setup too. Got it thru Meraki and after recomm from cl member sparker
Sounds good brotha!

Might be time for a new camera though.. lol!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 09-13-17, 11:29 AM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
Sounds good brotha!

Might be time for a new camera though.. lol!

-Josh
lmfaooo goteeeem. It was from snap chat man. That's why.
Old 09-13-17, 01:21 PM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

lmfaooo goteeeem. It was from snap chat man. That's why.
I have snapchat, quality isn't that bad.. Throw that potato away!! haha just joking.

-Josh

Orange County, CA
Old 09-20-17, 12:21 AM
Amlance69
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vid/pic or it didnt happen, right

As my build continues this will probably be my favorite upgrade. The exhaust is exactly how I wanted my car to sound ad operate. This Borla exhaust really brings out the demon in YOUNGSPAWN, and really turns heads now.
I'd like to thank Automotive Concepts in Minneapolis for the install. Follow me on IG @amlance69

Last edited by Amlance69; 09-20-17 at 12:27 AM.
Old 09-20-17, 03:16 AM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

Nice. Glad you like it as much as the rest of us who have one do
Old 09-20-17, 03:04 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Amlance69
As my build continues this will probably be my favorite upgrade. The exhaust is exactly how I wanted my car to sound ad operate. This Borla exhaust really brings out the demon in YOUNGSPAWN, and really turns heads now.
I'd like to thank Automotive Concepts in Minneapolis for the install. Follow me on IG @amlance69
Is the exhaust audible in idle (from outside and sitting inside windows down?) or is the car still holding revs high to warm up at that point? Sounds good though, just curious how loud it is parked but running at operating temps.
Old 09-21-17, 10:31 AM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Kerune
Is the exhaust audible in idle (from outside and sitting inside windows down?) or is the car still holding revs high to warm up at that point? Sounds good though, just curious how loud it is parked but running at operating temps.
Yes, audible in the cabin after warm up and rpm drop a bit.

It rumbles the garage a bit at startup, then settles down. I wouldn't say its all that loud at operating temps though, sitting at a light or something
Old 09-21-17, 10:58 AM
Apone
Pole Position

Received 62 Likes on 51 Posts

I've got a comment and a question as a new Borla exhaust owner.
First is my comment - this exhaust is loud (to me), louder than I wanted it if I'm honest. The startup is sinister but it's not quiet at all. It settles down after the warm up revs are done and sounds fine. It's quiet when not on the pedal but any gas at all will bring it back. Sounds fantastic above 4,000 rpm to me and backing off the throttle at high rpm sounds just as good. Same with the downshifts, very good. My issue is with the maybe 2k to 3,900k when I'm looking to drive more leisurely or stealthy. Stock was too quiet but this is too much for my taste (yours may vary) This leads to my questions....

How can I quiet this demon down? I know this is a question that none of you Borla lovers have ever asked but help me out here! Can I add a resonator, 14 inch or 18 inch at the same location as stock? Could I put the stock "X" pipe back and use the Borla mufflers? Or vice versa but I think the stock mufflers will just kill all of the sound or sound odd with the non resonated Borla.

Certainly I could sell this one and get something else. *sigh* Looking for some advice here folks. I thought I did my research and I watched all the videos... Looking to refine the sound a bit, pull it back. Someone with custom exhaust experience will know better than I.
Old 09-21-17, 07:03 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
I've got a comment and a question as a new Borla exhaust owner.
First is my comment - this exhaust is loud (to me), louder than I wanted it if I'm honest. The startup is sinister but it's not quiet at all. It settles down after the warm up revs are done and sounds fine. It's quiet when not on the pedal but any gas at all will bring it back. Sounds fantastic above 4,000 rpm to me and backing off the throttle at high rpm sounds just as good. Same with the downshifts, very good. My issue is with the maybe 2k to 3,900k when I'm looking to drive more leisurely or stealthy. Stock was too quiet but this is too much for my taste (yours may vary) This leads to my questions....

How can I quiet this demon down? I know this is a question that none of you Borla lovers have ever asked but help me out here! Can I add a resonator, 14 inch or 18 inch at the same location as stock? Could I put the stock "X" pipe back and use the Borla mufflers? Or vice versa but I think the stock mufflers will just kill all of the sound or sound odd with the non resonated Borla.

Certainly I could sell this one and get something else. *sigh* Looking for some advice here folks. I thought I did my research and I watched all the videos... Looking to refine the sound a bit, pull it back. Someone with custom exhaust experience will know better than I.
I would keep the borla and when you want it quieter just drive in eco mode (or regular mode).

I don't see the point in 'blocking' the exhaust up with pipes and resonators. You may as well just buy CF tips for looks at that point
Old 09-21-17, 07:35 PM
GetKinetic
Lead Lap

Received 111 Likes on 70 Posts

I would agree with lemon. If you Just instslled the borla it does quiet down a little once broken in. Bur stsrt up is always loud do to its catless design. After 45 secs it mellows. If you didnt want the growl you probably needed to just do a resonator delete mod on the stock exhaust and enjoyed the lexus like old peiple do
Old 09-21-17, 08:24 PM
Paunguye
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 10 Posts

uhhh i would keep it... unless u go with invidia exhaust thats pretty quiet.... But borla is the best thing i ever bought! No drone sound in 8th gear for cruising! It's quiet when it needs to be and when i want it loud again just pop down the gear and go!
Old 09-22-17, 03:41 AM
Apone
Pole Position

thanks for the comments so far but I don't see much in the way of advice on how to do it. Note that I did not say "hey, convince me to like what you like" I said it's too loud across the rev range. I said it was loud "for me", I said "for my taste" as I was wary of people wanting to defend their thinking. Also as mentioned in my op, I thought the stock car was too quiet, so it's not about driving a limo. It's also not about driving slow. I drive fast quite often and the throttle response in eco and normal are just not acceptable as anyone who owns the car knows.
I appreciate the engagement though, this is a discussion after all and exactly what would happen if we were sitting in a room together.
Old 09-24-17, 06:11 PM
Apaul
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Apone
thanks for the comments so far but I don't see much in the way of advice on how to do it. Note that I did not say "hey, convince me to like what you like" I said it's too loud across the rev range. I said it was loud "for me", I said "for my taste" as I was wary of people wanting to defend their thinking. Also as mentioned in my op, I thought the stock car was too quiet, so it's not about driving a limo. It's also not about driving slow. I drive fast quite often and the throttle response in eco and normal are just not acceptable as anyone who owns the car knows.
I appreciate the engagement though, this is a discussion after all and exactly what would happen if we were sitting in a room together.

what I do sometimes if cops are right behind me, I have the apexi throttle controller, I put it to white or blue mode And switch to eco. It brings it down some. And when you wanna show off, turn it to purple or red and ITS BEAST MODE
Old 09-26-17, 08:46 AM
Apone
Pole Position

what I do sometimes if cops are right behind me, I have the apexi throttle controller, I put it to white or blue mode And switch to eco. It brings it down some. And when you wanna show off, turn it to purple or red and ITS BEAST MODE
Had that exact situation this morning on the PA turnpike, I was crowding a van a bit as he was making no effort to move along in the fast lane. I dropped a few gears and went for it just as I looked in the mirror to find a state trooper licking his lips, I promptly came off the power (which he could hear) signaled, moved over and pretended to be interested in my radio settings.....
Old 09-26-17, 09:37 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Just don't do mad 0-60's and rev your engine like a mad man and cops won't bother you.

-Josh

Orange County, CA

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust System Installed - pic heavy