RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Anyone switch to full synthetic? If so what brand ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-16, 08:58 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Had my oil changed with amsoil today. Dealer said in order to maintain the fully engine warranty, you'd have to change your synthetic every 5k. So the longer interval is somewhat bs or am I mistaken. Meaning I can go 7500-10k easily, by Lexus days you just do the change every 5k so you're not getting the full life of the oil.
Old 05-03-16, 08:21 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
Had my oil changed with amsoil today. Dealer said in order to maintain the fully engine warranty, you'd have to change your synthetic every 5k. So the longer interval is somewhat bs or am I mistaken. Meaning I can go 7500-10k easily, by Lexus days you just do the change every 5k so you're not getting the full life of the oil.
True, but oil is cheaper than repairs and there's also the hassle of not having your vehicle while it's repaired. I get 10 L of Mobil 1 at Walmart and let the dealer change the oil with it on their schedule.
Old 05-03-16, 08:37 AM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Received 275 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
No one besides an oil report for that motor will be able to tell you that the oil is long life. Yes the bottle makes the claim that is specd for a mileage range, but frankly i have seen some motors harder on oil then others so mileage ranges vary.
Old 05-03-16, 09:22 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Go with what makes you happy.

Nobody here can say what's best for you as none of us engineered this engine. No offense to anyone on this forum but the last person on earth i'd ask for maintenance advice from are a bunch of complete strangers on a car forum.

Lexus calls for standard oil, which means they are comfortable with that which is good enough for me - oil is cheap so I'm happy to change it more often and personally think it's smarter to change more often since our engines burn oil.

Synthetic isn't required, but there are many benefits of using it. Whether or not you want to use or it need to use it is up to you and your comfort level of switching what's recommended.

It's like asking if you can run octane 87 vs 93.....you can, but what are the side effects by switching (knocking, pinging, etc).
Old 05-03-16, 06:48 PM
sdiver68
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've seen way too many oil analysis tests over my 20+ years of being a racer to use conventional oil. I've also have far too much experience to believe in expensive synthetics or the Group 4 over Group 3 debate. I run Rotella Full Synthetic (Group 3) bought by the gallon at Wal-Mart in my race bikes which are subject to far more abuse than any street car.
Old 05-04-16, 07:23 AM
RCFGuy
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Synthetic is a better lubricant, period. You guys arguing that Lexus is using Dino oil for any reason other than to get you in to the service dept more often are looney tunes.
Old 05-04-16, 07:43 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by RCFGuy
Synthetic is a better lubricant, period. You guys arguing that Lexus is using Dino oil for any reason other than to get you in to the service dept more often are looney tunes.

Old 05-04-16, 09:33 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Carnevino
I've always used MOTUL synthetic.
Mobile 1 here. The RC F came to me with a synthetic blend, and I kept that until the first oil change was performed.
Old 05-04-16, 12:10 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ISF001
Mobile 1 here. The RC F came to me with a synthetic blend, and I kept that until the first oil change was performed.
I wonder if they are concerned about oil burn on this engine, and this is their way of being proactive lol. Similar type of strategy is implemented on select V8 from BMW, reduce the mileage between oil changes to top up (and also overfill from original spec) to avoid issues that may result of oil burning. Again just a thought, but this whole dino spec in this engine is surprising.
Old 05-04-16, 02:59 PM
rjmalm
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by coolsaber
Again just a thought, but this whole dino spec in this engine is surprising.
I just got my Blackstone report. Non synthetic oil. ok. 14kmiles on the car, 4k on the oil.

I wonder if Lexus decided its a viscosity issue with high performance engines as you add hours of wear on the engine. I listened to the following video that says some cars are not developing enough oil pressure with synthetic oil and then might also develop leaks or become noisy. But clearly there are two sides to this story so both have advantages and disadvantages.

Attached Thumbnails Anyone switch to full synthetic? If so what brand ?-blackstone-at-14k.jpg  

Last edited by rjmalm; 05-04-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-04-16, 03:02 PM
coolsaber
Lead Lap

Good stuff. 14K on just Dino is outstanding. Guess your motor is really really easy on oil
Old 05-04-16, 03:33 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

that is not 14k on the oil, its 14k on his car. The oil sample had 4k miles on it
Old 05-05-16, 09:35 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Guess we should have took a vote on this to start with I've got several of my buddies that no matter what, they're going to change out things on their NEW car, whether it's the tires, oil, manifold, shocks, wheels, etc.... & i understand some of it is just cosmetic but some of them just feel like they know what works better for their car NO MATTER what the Dealership or OEM says. I've learned that over the years & i guess it's your car & whatever makes you sleep better at nite is all that matters, that & your wallet. I haven't bought that many NEW vehicles but when i have i don't usually immediately start changing things out on them, especially if it's a 70-80k+ vehicle. Way i look at it is IF i paid 70-80k & added another 20-30k in mods, i would have just bought a Nicer 100-110k vehicle to start with. JMO! BUT, i've also said IF i was going to spend say $150k on vehicles, i'd rather have 3 $50k vehicles that 1 $150k vehicle, always so much more fun to drive a NICE different vehicle when you want to instead of just having ONE option (guess that's WHY i have the ones i have). Again JMO!.

Last edited by johnnyreb; 05-05-16 at 09:42 PM.
Old 06-18-16, 05:44 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

To chime in and what's interesting, I did my 8k km servicing yesterday and my Lexus dealer put in Synthetic. I asked the manager about that and he said this is what they put in this vehicle.

If the dealers put it in, it's definitely fine over conventional but as some have posted, the oil change interval is still 8k km (5k miles).

Old 06-18-16, 01:34 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts

You may want to have a chat with your Lexus dealers shop Foreman..!!

Every V8 Lexus F from 2008 to 2016 comes with this Oil Cap from Japan.

IS F / RC F / GS F • 2UR-GSE

Besides the no mention of synthetic like the rest of the newer Lexus engine platforms, the weight is pretty clear

Joe Z

Quick Reply: Anyone switch to full synthetic? If so what brand ?