RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

I get looks, but no one has ever tried to race

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-17, 08:33 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,417 Likes on 1,741 Posts

In the one month of October I drove my RCF before it went into hibernation, I had some interesting encounters. At one traffic light, there was a Civic that pulled up and a couple of young teenagers were loudly saying something. As soon as the light turned green, I was in Eco mode so I gently took off leaving the Civic behind. Then, I saw the Civic flying by as my wife and I laughed. I turned right and went my way. In another case, an STI with a loud exhaust did a ricer fly by as I was cruising with my wife and baby daughter. Yet another, I was waiting for a left turn with the left blinker on, I saw a couple of young guys waiting behind me in a Golf R vigorously commenting on my car pointing with hands to my car's design elements.

I recently got challenged to a race against a 600 Honda racing bike next spring/summer, but I politely turned it down saying I did not buy this car to do street racing and that was the last thing on my mind especially with a 3 year old daughter.

A very interesting thing is, people treat me completely differently when I drive my XRS (have been for 14 years) and in the one month I drove the RCF. Everyone acts like a tool while I daily drive my XRS and wants to cut me off especially in merging situations. I used always want to teach the other person a lesson by downshifting to 2nd or 3rd depending on the speed and going to 8300 rpm. With the RCF, everyone is extremely courteous and wants to yield and slow down (probably to get a closer look). It also made me change my perspective while I drive the Corolla and I now rarely ever get upset at people wanting to go first as I do not take it personally anymore.

Last edited by 05RollaXRS; 11-14-17 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by 05RollaXRS:
Lexura1414 (11-15-17), shadow1118 (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 05:38 AM
IMCHIA
Lead Lap

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Slash300zx
Yeah that's the thing, I'm 100%, completely bone stock so I don't feel that bad but still got the little itch to mod... Now looking at it, I probably would have been next to him or maybe more if I had been on 2nd gear... I think it was in 4th and downshifted to second when I punched it but still lost time from the beginning... I might start looking into an exhaust, I hear it makes a difference and it opens up pretty good
Definitely. Huge difference. Borla is the one to get if you're on a budget!
The following users liked this post:
Slash300zx (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 03:55 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
In the one month of October I drove my RCF before it went into hibernation, I had some interesting encounters. At one traffic light, there was a Civic that pulled up and a couple of young teenagers were loudly saying something. As soon as the light turned green, I was in Eco mode so I gently took off leaving the Civic behind. Then, I saw the Civic flying by as my wife and I laughed. I turned right and went my way. In another case, an STI with a loud exhaust did a ricer fly by as I was cruising with my wife and baby daughter. Yet another, I was waiting for a left turn with the left blinker on, I saw a couple of young guys waiting behind me in a Golf R vigorously commenting on my car pointing with hands to my car's design elements.

I recently got challenged to a race against a 600 Honda racing bike next spring/summer, but I politely turned it down saying I did not buy this car to do street racing and that was the last thing on my mind especially with a 3 year old daughter.

A very interesting thing is, people treat me completely differently when I drive my XRS (have been for 14 years) and in the one month I drove the RCF. Everyone acts like a tool while I daily drive my XRS and wants to cut me off especially in merging situations. I used always want to teach the other person a lesson by downshifting to 2nd or 3rd depending on the speed and going to 8300 rpm. With the RCF, everyone is extremely courteous and wants to yield and slow down (probably to get a closer look). It also made me change my perspective while I drive the Corolla and I now rarely ever get upset at people wanting to go first as I do not take it personally anymore.
people are afraid to hit or get near such a fancy car.
The following users liked this post:
05RollaXRS (11-15-17)
Old 11-15-17, 05:07 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by shadow1118
people are afraid to hit or get near such a fancy car.
True. That is very likely.
Old 11-15-17, 08:31 PM
Kerune
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hahaha I appreciate how open you are about how this car affects you. I get a lot of C250s and 328s that want to overtake me and I don't take it personal, I assume I'd feel the same way if I had an M3 or AMG and those same cars wanted to pass.

On the other hand if they were being reckless and shouldn't be weaving carelessly to get ahead of me it's satisfying how difficult it is for them to change lanes and get next to me. Unfortunately around the city I work at there's a lack of car enthusiasts and people my age who stare just don't seem to want to interact.

Don't think anyone wants to test it ever since I put a borla on, but an accord sport did look real confident in doing a fly by and something about this car made me wanna shut it down quick.
Old 11-16-17, 07:03 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Kerune
Hahaha I appreciate how open you are about how this car affects you. I get a lot of C250s and 328s that want to overtake me and I don't take it personal, I assume I'd feel the same way if I had an M3 or AMG and those same cars wanted to pass.

On the other hand if they were being reckless and shouldn't be weaving carelessly to get ahead of me it's satisfying how difficult it is for them to change lanes and get next to me. Unfortunately around the city I work at there's a lack of car enthusiasts and people my age who stare just don't seem to want to interact.

Don't think anyone wants to test it ever since I put a borla on, but an accord sport did look real confident in doing a fly by and something about this car made me wanna shut it down quick.
Thanks. Agreed with everything you said. I have grown out that stage where I don't get bothered by who is acting up on the road. Still, there were some occasions when just for fun I would downshift before turn and approach the merge holding in 3rd gear with the engine revving at around 5000 rpm and then stomping it from there. It is a huge adrenaline rush. The noise, the surge after 5000 rpm is addictive.
Old 11-16-17, 07:23 PM
lexusrus
Pole Position

Received 250 Likes on 228 Posts

I just ordered the Borla from Josh (Meraki). But due to my work and holidays coming up, I won't be able to have it installed after Turkey Day. Can't wait!!!

There are cheaper ones out there, but NONE sounded like the Borla!!! There are way more expensive ones out there too, but I just felt no sense spending that kind of money on an exhaust. Maybe it's just me.

Originally Posted by IMCHIA
Definitely. Huge difference. Borla is the one to get if you're on a budget!
Old 11-22-17, 12:40 PM
SkyPara82
Driver

Received 26 Likes on 18 Posts

Interesting that you mention the different reactions and behaviors depending on what you're driving. When driving my wife's former 300 SRT (modified) it was usually the Mustangs that were all in. You all know the type...driving around with the windows down (most of them) so they can listen to their exhaust. Then in my Grand Sport (built to 600 hp/545 tq naturally aspirated) it was usually the Cadillac CTS-V boys showing their butt. Once had an M3, the old naturally aspirated V8 ones, come alongside and rev. Are you kidding me? Dropped a gear, the LS3 roared, M3 guy nodded like "yeah, you got me!" But in the RC F my experience has been like the original poster. The RC F's "natural enemies" are supposed to be the M4 and AMG C63. Since, like the RC F, those aren't exactly common cars that you see every day encounters are few and far between. And...like most of us, the ones driving those cars probably feel they have nothing to prove so they just cruise. The one and only time I felt I was going to be challenged in the RC F was when I spotted an Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio (505 hp) in my rearview making it's way through traffic. Yep, coming for me. The Giulia is a serious performer so I had to decide if I felt like playing. No issues - he just wanted to come alongside and see what the heck this black Lexus was.

Last edited by SkyPara82; 11-22-17 at 12:44 PM.
Old 11-22-17, 12:49 PM
finny76
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 51 Posts

When I had my RCF, had a CTS-V try to come alongside and provoke me & then blasted off when I refused to play. I'm smart enough not to mess a car that is way more powerful than the RCF. Then I got a few Mustang (5.0L) guys, and quickly put them in their place. Had one M3 & M4 guy try to mess with me, but I didn't play.

I did mess with an i8 that I found on the road (comparable power to RCF) & passed it but then the driver didn't want to play anymore.

Now when I switched over to a GS-F, I've had one Mustang try & went side by side for a few miles but I didn't play (car is still being broken in). On another instance had a M3 guy do crazy & weave in and out of traffic so just he could pass me (the exhaust on the car sounded like a ricer).

I know the GSF is a tad slower & also feels a bit slower than the RCF) so no point in messing with other cars unless some slight mods are done (better exhaust) & better wheels/tires.
Old 11-22-17, 01:54 PM
05RollaXRS
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by finny76

I know the GSF is a tad slower & also feels a bit slower than the RCF) so no point in messing with other cars unless some slight mods are done (better exhaust) & better wheels/tires.
Since you have driving experience with both, does the GSF feel noticeably "any softer" than the RCF in terms of suspension, chassis rigidity etc.? I know it is about 6 inches longer, but was just curious since never have driven a GSF.
Old 11-22-17, 04:01 PM
Slash300zx
Instructor

Received 107 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by finny76
On another instance had a M3 guy do crazy & weave in and out of traffic so just he could pass me (the exhaust on the car sounded like a ricer).
This seems to be common with the new M3/M4s. Like most of the reviews I've seen, they do sound horrible. They don't sound good like the old ones from factory and the ones I've seen with aftermarket exhausts, sound like civics with fart cans on them!!! They have great performance but the sound is soooo disappointing
Old 11-25-17, 02:08 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

Lost my first race against a 2018 Audi S5. Temperature was 40 degrees F and it was at a stop light. He pulled like 2 cars on me while I was slipping on my Michelin PSS. Will not try that again. Hahaha..
Old 11-25-17, 06:07 PM
ssmoked
Lexus Champion

Received 96 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexura1414
Lost my first race against a 2018 Audi S5. Temperature was 40 degrees F and it was at a stop light. He pulled like 2 cars on me while I was slipping on my Michelin PSS. Will not try that again. Hahaha..
I almost acquired a 2018 s5 sportback. The awd traction, transmission, steering, interior, virtual dash display are years ahead of RCF. Just couldn’t justify paying 65k otd or 800+ monthly lease only for a regular s5.
Old 11-25-17, 06:21 PM
Lexura1414
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 31 Posts

I only lost because of the cold weather. My tires were as hard as rocks and slipped like a *****. I would say, the S5 would still take the 0-60 but the F will take it after it really hooks up. But, I have new found respect for them and they will be on my list when move on from the F. I agree that their tech is way better and the AWD is awesome. I just don’t like the wheels. FYI, I had a 2015 S5 which I bought for 64K so I don’t mind the price..
Old 11-27-17, 02:55 PM
GOT8SPD
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I'm in nh and everyone and their cousin owns a wrx with an exhaust... constantly get them trying to race me but I don't bother, only 2 times I actually gave it a go with highway pulls from 40mph with an m4.. And a 2014 mustang 5.0, won both those races, mustang by car length, m4 by half car length.

Quick Reply: I get looks, but no one has ever tried to race