RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

FIGS Ohlins Coilovers + Essential Lowering Kit review

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-16, 11:40 AM
jsmacks
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default FIGS Ohlins Coilovers + Essential Lowering Kit review

I can't take it any longer. My white knuckles and poo-eating grin as this finely tuned machine rips itself around the Hawaiian mountain S-curves like it's on smooth steel rails have become too much. I had wanted to wait until I had better and more professional photos, but I just can't take it anymore and have to give serious props where serious props are due.

Mike FIGS, you sir.. have created a masterpiece in these coil overs and this lowering kit. I cannot even begin to put into words what this mod has done to the handling of this car. I had huge fears of feeling bouncy, floaty or just otherwise garage modded.. no. This car now feels and drives TO ME like a Formula 1 race car. Planted, perfect, instant response without even breaking a sweat. It truly feels like I'm driving a full on super car. I seriously cannot stress this enough.

Front: 255/30ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Rear: 295/30ZR-20 Michelin Pilot Super Sport
Wheels: Vossen VPS-314 - Brushed w/ light smoke clear gloss
Suspension: FIGS Ohlins Coilovers + Essential Lowering Kit

http://www.shopfigs.com/v1/index.php...product_id=331

http://www.shopfigs.com/v1/index.php...product_id=324

Here's the deal: This is without a doubt, the hands down clear winner and best overall coil over set for the RC F platform available today. Why? Let's keep it very simple. We can sit and debate single vs mono-tube, this vs that in a Ford vs Chevy way all day long. Let's look at the facts:

- Hand built by a company that lives, eats and breathes Lexus suspension. It's what they do.. 24/7, 365. FIGS are the recognized leader as we know in Lexus suspension development. They could have just as easily chose multiple platforms such as Penske, KW or others that they sell to modify.. but they chose Ohlins for a reason: It's the best performing and QUIETEST shock out there. Zero suspension noise. None. No more having to turn the stereo up past 20 to drown out the Penske knocks or the screams of terror after overpaying.

- 30 way adjustable dampening with perfect performance. I'm set at 18 F/23 R and it feels only slightly stiffer than stock in the straights.. but just wait until the curves. You'll be counting the seconds until you can hit those curves again.

- Lowest drop available.. safely down to 3" if desired.

- Superior product at the best price. Period. $3500 a set.

..just received word that Vossen wants a photo shoot and that they're hiring a local photog. Will post more photos soon..

Last edited by jsmacks; 03-18-16 at 12:19 PM.
The following users liked this post:
2Insane (05-04-17)
Old 03-18-16, 09:15 PM
estoyf
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Looks awesome!
Old 03-18-16, 10:07 PM
FIGS
The Maker

Received 140 Likes on 72 Posts

Thanks jsmacks for your kind words and your extreme patience as we worked though a few delays over the holiday and shipping complications due to the east coast storm. Ultimately customer satisfaction is what drives us and catering a setup like this to an individual with clear goals is our pleasure. There is no one solution that will serve all needs and we try to offer several options based on our personal experience. There are a lot of great products out there but without excellent support they can easily fall short if the install or tuning is not done properly. We continuously strive to offer the best tools to suit a variety of preferences and unparalleled support to top it all off.

We also want to thank our local tester, who drove 6 hrs to have us tear his new car apart and put it all back together in a single day of intense work so that we could confirm several things on the platform. Without the tremendous support of this community not of these parts would be justified or possible. We look forward to the shoot, but I think the iphone pics turned out pretty good with a little editing. Thank you.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
RB BBK's and 2P Rotors, G-Loc pads, Radium Fuel Systems
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
2018 USTCC Sportsman Class Champions - 2018 NASA ST5 National Champions
The following users liked this post:
1A1 (04-08-22)
Old 03-19-16, 01:07 AM
JT2MA71

Received 1,511 Likes on 655 Posts

Congrats!! FIGS/OHLINS all the way!!
Old 03-21-16, 07:51 AM
Darkside81
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds great. Looking forward to the photo shoot.

From the Iphone pic it looks like your rear camber is way out. Is that just the picture or do you have a very aggressive rear camber?
Old 03-23-16, 04:12 PM
tas02
Lexus Test Driver

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

Thanks for sharing.

Your Iphone pics looks like a postcard with the amazing local background to set off the beauty of your RCF. Makes me want to emigrate from gray western wash.
Old 10-28-16, 06:12 PM
ISFPOWER
Lexus Champion

Received 144 Likes on 119 Posts

Mike at Figs is the man. He shipped fast when i was missing some pieces . It is a noiseless system when everything set up correctly. I like how they use the orange and blue colors as well. some quality stuff.
Old 04-28-17, 05:36 AM
FIGS
The Maker

We are just starting to get stock of these again. I have one more set for this month available if anyone is interested. It should be a noiseless system as designed.
Mike
Links - Arms - SuperPro Poly Bushings - Solid Bearing Conversions - Motor Mounts
Custom Fabrication Design and Machining - Industrial 3D Printing - Laser Cutting
Old 04-28-17, 07:30 AM
Carbon Exchange
Former Sponsor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by FIGS
We are just starting to get stock of these again. I have one more set for this month available if anyone is interested. It should be a noiseless system as designed.
Mike
do you have the weight savings over stock? for the rcf
Old 04-29-17, 09:13 AM
FIGS
The Maker

Originally Posted by Carbon Exchange
do you have the weight savings over stock? for the rcf
Its around 50lbs in combined shock weight reduction and the smaller diameter springs..
Old 05-04-17, 08:37 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Mike is legit. He takes your calls and texts and is always responsive. I'm enjoying my complete figs ohlins setup with the essential lowering kit.
Old 05-04-17, 12:50 PM
2Insane
Driver

Received 47 Likes on 32 Posts
Talking

You seem like a kid in a candy store. Your excitement is awesome! That set is stunning and the way you rave about it looks to be a clear winner in one of the best suspension systems out there for us. It's always great to get feedback from an RCF owners, not just from companies. Beautiful RCF!!!
Old 05-07-17, 08:11 PM
blackisF08
Instructor

Received 64 Likes on 49 Posts

Mike is the man when it comes down to suspension and many other things involving lexus car. you car looks amazing man, i will eventually switch my kw's v3 over to this amazing ohlin's
Old 05-08-17, 07:52 AM
CYKBC
Pit Crew

Received 35 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by blackisF08
Mike is the man when it comes down to suspension and many other things involving lexus car. you car looks amazing man, i will eventually switch my kw's v3 over to this amazing ohlin's
FIGS setup is nice, but I can also vouch for the KW v3s. Don't count them out. Deep motorsport roots, much bigger company with R&D money.
Old 04-06-22, 05:50 AM
nigel821
Racer

Received 749 Likes on 466 Posts
Arrow

Anyone else running this setup?

I really didn't have an interest at all in coilovers. But then I start reading about swift lowering springs and those are roughly $300 with a possibility of shocks leaking which is really what makes me not want to do it... but I keep AVS.

Doing coilovers I completely loose AVS but no chance of leaking, PLUS you can adjust the height to your own spec.

My one question is how is one adjusting so that the car is at the proper height... IE: How are you dialing in each corner so that it's exactly the same so one side isn't slightly off than the other... I just picture coilovers being a nightmare getting the height right. I set it, then say that's too high, then lower, then say that's too low., and just go through this constant "tinkering/tweaking". Springs you put on and the height is already the same all the way around.

This looks like a wonderful setup for coilovers honestly. I'm just wondering if I am going to actually notice anything when driving. I really just want a slightly lower car..lol

I already have the updated version of the LCA bushing from Figs. Does one NEED to get the rear upper links when getting these coilovers? Is it strictly for being able to adjust when you lower the vehicle or does it provide other functions? IE: If I install the coilovers and then get it aligned is it fine, or will the links be needed if you lower the car past "X" amount and then the links are a must in order to correct something that is now not correctable without them?

-Nigel

Quick Reply: FIGS Ohlins Coilovers + Essential Lowering Kit review