RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Winter storage - need your input

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-16, 10:16 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
isfdude has a valid point since it's only for two months in an indoor garage.

However, I'll likely take the overly-cautious route ELP_JC suggests and not start the car since it's what I'm reading online from reputable car sources too though this is for longer term storage 4-6 months minimum.

I also read about adding a fuel stabilizer? What about anything to add in the engine oil which I believe is not freshly changed (it's at 4k miles)?

Thanks!
I think you are are looking for something like this --- this is recommended for vehicles not driven for some time, say winter storage.

http://motul.speclube.com/products/a...bilizer-0250l/

This is the Canadian Motul Distributor page.

And about flat spotting, I was also told by dealership that tires should have higher pressure iif the car is not driven for an extended period of time. Additionally, there are something like this ---

http://www.raceramps.com/long-term-storage.aspx

http://www.raceramps.com/flatstoppers.aspx

I haven't used this particular product but other Raceramp products such as their ramps. Their products are expensive but very durable and portable.

Last edited by AndyL; 02-06-16 at 10:30 PM.
Old 02-07-16, 02:24 PM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

^^^AndyL appreciate the info though I already pulled the trigger on Stabil; bought it at CT. Added it yesterday and let the car run for 5 mins as per the instructions.

I've also inflated the tires to 45 psi and don't think I need the raceramps considering the storage is relatively short at 2 months. But I'll consider this for next winter when I will store it for about 4 months instead.

I got a trickle charger as per Stoomac a Deltran Battery Tender Junior, and hooked it up. After 2 hours, still shows red indicating charging. Not sure when it will move to green (maintaining a full charge) but I'll keep an eye on it today into tomorrow.

I think I'm all set... Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 02-07-16, 10:44 PM
AndyL
Lexus Test Driver

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by corradoMR2
^^^AndyL appreciate the info though I already pulled the trigger on Stabil; bought it at CT. Added it yesterday and let the car run for 5 mins as per the instructions.

I've also inflated the tires to 45 psi and don't think I need the raceramps considering the storage is relatively short at 2 months. But I'll consider this for next winter when I will store it for about 4 months instead.

I got a trickle charger as per Stoomac a Deltran Battery Tender Junior, and hooked it up. After 2 hours, still shows red indicating charging. Not sure when it will move to green (maintaining a full charge) but I'll keep an eye on it today into tomorrow.

I think I'm all set... Thanks everyone for your help.

Battery tender is a good product. A friend of mine who stores his summer car also uses that.
Old 02-09-16, 01:51 PM
SLK1Z
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So many opinions about `how to`` winter store. I found a great solution....
Name:  20151127_180940.jpg
Views: 166
Size:  309.3 KB

Add winter tires and Enjoy!
Old 11-22-16, 06:51 PM
yellow2112
Pole Position

Received 33 Likes on 22 Posts

I'm going to bump this WINTER storage thread as i had something to add:

Spoke to Lexus today and they have informed me that pulling the battery for winter COULD require some dealer resets come spring.

In particular, Sirius XM could need to get reinstalled as well as computers controlling door controls, window controls and sunroof. Specifically, leaving the RCF without a battery for extended periods MIGHT mean your windows don't go all the way up and Lexus would have to reinstall software.

They recommended a trickle charger but nothing else.
Old 11-23-16, 01:56 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Received 90 Likes on 62 Posts

Here is what I used to do for my GTO's that I would store from late Nov until April:

1) Put in Stabil in the gas tank.
2) Fill gas tank to the brim with Premium Fuel
3) Vacuum, Wash and Wax Car....let it dry overnight in the garage.
4) Connect Battery Tender
5) Pump up the tires to 50psi or so (avoid flat spotting)
6) Fold the mirrors in, cover the car
7) Lower your insurance on the car (State Farm allowed me to remove collision and put only comprehensive/storage insurance)
8) In the Spring, change the oil and filter right away (some folks like to do this before they put the car away)
Old 11-23-16, 01:56 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by SLK1Z
So many opinions about `how to`` winter store. I found a great solution....

Add winter tires and Enjoy!
That's what I do with my IS-F....enjoy it year round, even if you cant' get traction!
Old 11-24-16, 01:21 PM
MisterSkiz
Racer

Originally Posted by kitabel
starting the car weekly and running it for a few minutes be ok

Read very carefully, mouse-over, control + C, and print very large, then tape it to the door of the garage:
"Starting the car briefly for any purpose is the worst possible thing you can do to the engine."
Having climate controlled storage is nice, but unless your climate is 180 degrees it doesn't matter.

In case you missed it DON'T START THE CAR UNLESS YOU HAVE TO DRIVE IT SOMEWHERE.
THIS!

Do not start the car at all until you are planning to drive it full time.

Starting a car after it has been sitting is the hardest thing on a motor...the oil isn't up to temp and the top end is not bathed in oil yet...not to mention you won't burn off the condensation in the oil.....
Old 11-24-16, 04:35 PM
jkeifer3
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

When storing my cars for extended periods I put the car on four jack stands unloading the tires but keeping the suspension at ride-height.
Old 11-26-16, 10:01 PM
8901alex
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Moved

That's why I moved away from Toronto to sunny California all year around driving my cars hasn't being under the rain yet not planning on it.....Keep driving my CT200h in the winter months....g luck......