RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Car won't unlock...keeps beeping like it's unlocking but doesn't unlock?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 07:06 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Car won't unlock...keeps beeping like it's unlocking but doesn't unlock?

So when leaving the gym tonight, I go to unlock my car with the remote and it beeps, but nothing unlocks......everything is clicking like it's unlocking (doors, gas cap, etc) but it won't unlock. So I press and hold the unlock button to roll down my windows, reach in, open the door from the inside and it opens, starts and everything works.

Any idea what happened? Can this be from my rear bumper getting hit the other day (would the rear bumper sensor getting damaged have anything to do with this)?
Old 01-04-16, 09:59 PM
boostedGS
Lead Lap

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I don't think your bumper getting hit has anything to do with it because the same thing happened to mine twice before and mine hasn't been hit at all.
Old 01-05-16, 05:01 AM
Chris8152
Pit Crew

Received 28 Likes on 15 Posts

could try another key fob, maybe the battery is getting low if you are using the same key fob.
Old 01-05-16, 10:31 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by boostedGS
I don't think your bumper getting hit has anything to do with it because the same thing happened to mine twice before and mine hasn't been hit at all.
Well that rules out the accident....so that's good.

Originally Posted by Chris8152
could try another key fob, maybe the battery is getting low if you are using the same key fob.
Maybe, I'll look in the manual to see if I can find anything but that would be weird that a low battery would stop you from opening the doors (you'd be stranded).
Old 01-05-16, 11:02 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

question, is it unlocked and not opening?

twice I have unlocked mine and when I went to pull the handle it would not open with a normal pull, it took some effort. Same with the trunk, popped it and it would not open.

in both cases it was the door sticking to the rubber weather stripping after sitting overnight in the cold (both nights it got down into the 30°s here).

I put some silicone grease on the weather stripping in the trunk and lower parts of the door frame and it seems to have stopped it.

don't put any on the upper parts of the door frame it will muck up your glass.
Old 01-05-16, 02:57 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by mjeds
question, is it unlocked and not opening?

twice I have unlocked mine and when I went to pull the handle it would not open with a normal pull, it took some effort. Same with the trunk, popped it and it would not open.

in both cases it was the door sticking to the rubber weather stripping after sitting overnight in the cold (both nights it got down into the 30°s here).

I put some silicone grease on the weather stripping in the trunk and lower parts of the door frame and it seems to have stopped it.

don't put any on the upper parts of the door frame it will muck up your glass.
No, it's not unlocked and not opening.....when I press the unlock button, it cycles as though it unlocked the vehicle but the vehicle is still locked. Not sure what it is, but I switched key fobs to test it out (however it's intermittent) so I'll need a couple days to test out the new key fob.
Old 01-05-16, 03:19 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

So this happened to me and I got freaked the F out.....

Here's what I did. Unlocked the car from the pass side, as the driver side was the one with the issue. Held the unlock button all the way down and let the windows roll down. Start the car, then rolled the windows up.

I believe that it reset the " cycle ". I havent had an issue since.

Good Luck
Old 01-05-16, 03:22 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JB5674
So this happened to me and I got freaked the F out.....

Here's what I did. Unlocked the car from the pass side, as the driver side was the one with the issue. Held the unlock button all the way down and let the windows roll down. Start the car, then rolled the windows up.

I believe that it reset the " cycle ". I havent had an issue since.

Good Luck
I'll look into that as well. If I held the unlock until the windows rolled down I could reach into the car and open the handle and it would open (I thought the alarm would have gone off but it didn't).
Old 01-05-16, 04:06 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

All new cars I've bought since the advent of CANbus electrical systems have had electronic gremlins. Add all kinds of electronic crap, and it gets more likely. Anyway, if your door lock mechanism is unlocking the door, with the door lock button moving accordingly, and everything works fine afterward, it's most likely an electronic gremlin. If it comes back again, then I'd suspect the actuator. Most of the afforementioned gremlins in my cars have been a one-time affair, with the exception of the awful BMW keyless ignition range, where 50% of the time I had to pull the damn keyfob out of my poclet and put it right in front of the door or dash, even with a new (and proper) battery in place. Have had bizarre episoded, but just once. If it was very cold outside, that could explain the issue. Try lubing the mechanism in the door with silicon spray; it should help. Good luck.

As a side comment, I'll probably have to remove the door panel due to a super annoying (and very loud) rattle inside the panel, and will take a look at the locking mechanism to see if there's anything that could slip even though the actuator seems to be working. Will try locking the doors first, and if the rattle goes away, will reinstate the automatic locking/unlocking, which I always deactivate on the first day.
Old 01-05-16, 05:39 PM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
All new cars I've bought since the advent of CANbus electrical systems have had electronic gremlins. Add all kinds of electronic crap, and it gets more likely. Anyway, if your door lock mechanism is unlocking the door, with the door lock button moving accordingly, and everything works fine afterward, it's most likely an electronic gremlin. If it comes back again, then I'd suspect the actuator. Most of the afforementioned gremlins in my cars have been a one-time affair, with the exception of the awful BMW keyless ignition range, where 50% of the time I had to pull the damn keyfob out of my poclet and put it right in front of the door or dash, even with a new (and proper) battery in place. Have had bizarre episoded, but just once. If it was very cold outside, that could explain the issue. Try lubing the mechanism in the door with silicon spray; it should help. Good luck.

As a side comment, I'll probably have to remove the door panel due to a super annoying (and very loud) rattle inside the panel, and will take a look at the locking mechanism to see if there's anything that could slip even though the actuator seems to be working. Will try locking the doors first, and if the rattle goes away, will reinstate the automatic locking/unlocking, which I always deactivate on the first day.
It's cold as F here.....32 degrees so anything is possible. I'm alternating key fobs for now to see if it replicates itself.
Old 01-05-16, 06:52 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by toystry
I'm alternating key fobs for now to see if it replicates itself.
By your description, it has nothing to do with the fob buddy. If the car is receiving the signal, and you can hear the actuator(s), fob is doing its job. It sounds like a mechanical issue (something sticking) to me, probably due to the cold and lack of lubrication. Hopefully silicone spray will fix it. Remember most dealers won't do crap until you can replicate the issue. Keep us posted if it happens again. Good luck.
Old 01-06-16, 11:35 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ELP_JC
Remember most dealers won't do crap until you can replicate the issue. Keep us posted if it happens again. Good luck.
You nailed it here, and since it's intermittent, it will be a **** show to get it to happen when I'm actually at the service dept, lol.
Old 08-11-17, 11:40 AM
harkirath
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bringing a thread back from the dead i know...

Was there ever an update to this? It happened to my IS 350 today. The passenger door was open so I went through there and took a look at the driver door. Whether from the key fob or the lock switch on the door panel, when I would press unlock, the driver door would not change from the locked position.

After I flipped it open manually, it proceeded to lock and unlock fine from both the fob and the switch.
Old 08-17-17, 06:19 AM
somosos
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same exact issue today. Tried opening up the driver side door by touching handle with key fob in my pocket. The door wouldn't open, rather made the unlocking beep noise like 5 times. Had to go through the passenger side door to open. All the other doors were unlocked.
Old 09-05-18, 09:04 PM
ExNavyMid
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar issue on ‘12 GX460. So I was at the store the other day and I left my car running because it was so hot I wanted the AC to keep going. So I got out of car and used the hard key to lock the drivers side door and all doors for that matter. Since car was running - that was only way to lock it. Came back and unlocked it and went on my day. Got home and went to lock the car, and instead of beeping, I just heard a clicking sound. Checked the door and it was still unlocked. Only way to lock it is to now use the hard key in the door handle. Also that is the only way to unlock it as well. I’m getting frustrated as I keep valuables in my car. Hoping that the specifics of my post help solve this issue. I don’t seem to see anyone solving the problem yet. Thanks.

RM

Quick Reply: Car won't unlock...keeps beeping like it's unlocking but doesn't unlock?