RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-15, 08:57 AM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Talking Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!

We obviously have a strong connection to Japan, and as a result, we have a subscription to the popular Japanese-market tuning magazine Option. Yesterday, we received the February 2016 issue and were excited to see that a small Japanese Shop has been testing and is readying the release of a supercharger kit for RC-F!!!

The kit appears to utilize all HKS components, including an HKS 8555 supercharger and replacement ECU. In the past, HKS has offered supercharger kits for other Lexus models, so this comes of no surprise, but with the general opinion of many that the RC-F is a bit under-powered, this is obviously exciting news nonetheless! (Seemingly, the setup is also compatible with IS-F.)

**EDIT: Thanks to @juvi22003, we have more info on this kit. You can review the details of the kit here http://www.jk-power.jp/cont8/main.html.

Name:  HKS-RC-F-Supercharger-Kit---Option-Magazine.jpg
Views: 2272
Size:  293.7 KB

CLOSE-UP:

Name:  Supercharger-Kit-3-resized.jpg
Views: 2416
Size:  274.0 KB

As we'll be continuing our yearly attendance of Tokyo Auto Salon in a couple weeks, as well as visiting the HKS Factory, we'll be sure to get more information, as well as better photos of whatever we can!

Last edited by BPauto; 12-31-15 at 10:27 AM.
Old 12-30-15, 10:01 AM
ba2sy
Instructor

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Ooohhh... lala... What's the average wHP do they come up with regarding their other Lexus Supercharger kits? What are usually moded on the car? Supercharger thingy, Pistons, Cylinders, Intake, Manifold, ECU, and what else? What's the usual price on the other Lexus models?
Old 12-30-15, 10:46 AM
airlaird
Pole Position

Received 32 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow...93 views and only 1 comment. After lurking on this very slow forum for over a year I feel I must add something. I hope to be in an F in a year or so...having the first Supercharger installed by TRD in my Landcruiser in 1997...this is very exciting news. A supercharger is a bulletproof system. Not sure what is needed other than the ECU and possibly larger injectors.
It would be nice if TRD offered it..but good news nonetheless. So there you have it...now two people who are interested .-)
airlaird
Old 12-30-15, 11:21 AM
Phinatic
Pit Crew

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

OK, I'll make it 3...lol

This is exciting news and something I'm very interested in. Just purchased a RC F this evening, but won't take delivery for another couple of weeks. Don't think I'll be modding right away, but I said the same thing when I bought my '09 Challenger...installed a ProCharger a couple months after the break-in period.
Attached Thumbnails Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!-dscf0517.jpg  
Old 12-30-15, 11:43 AM
ModInJapan
Lexus Enthusiasts

Received 271 Likes on 173 Posts

Fingers crossed, I hope this supercharger works.. Going to be crazy!

-Josh
Old 12-30-15, 12:03 PM
NotnFsport
Instructor

Received 97 Likes on 63 Posts

Will it work? Of course it will work...in Japan.They can tune their ecus to see the benefits of forced induction. Icode built a supercharger years ago for the ISF. Why is it no one stateside has an Icode scroll ? Tuning options. Another thread Ill bet runs into failed results for stateside Fs.

HKS for the ISF. I wish it worked for US spec cars...

Last edited by NotnFsport; 12-30-15 at 12:09 PM.
Old 12-30-15, 12:18 PM
FR500GT
Lead Lap

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Great to see someone doing FI! Tuning is what I am most curious about
Old 12-30-15, 12:33 PM
kareemRCF
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, interested too.
Old 12-30-15, 12:42 PM
aWorkOfArt
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

It comes with an HKS ECU, but is it compatible with our USDM RCFs is the big question??? None the less still awesome to see all the aftermarket parts coming out for our cars. Thanks for sharing BPauto!
Old 12-30-15, 01:50 PM
GSGUAM
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by aWorkOfArt
It comes with an HKS ECU, but is it compatible with our USDM RCFs is the big question??? None the less still awesome to see all the aftermarket parts coming out for our cars. Thanks for sharing BPauto!
TAS 2016 will be exciting for all our "F"'s!
Old 12-30-15, 02:04 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

All great comments. As of right now there are no specific details. We wanted to share this as a point of info to show you guys what some of the tuners in Japan are doing.

Since we have close ties to almost all of the vendors and manufacturers in Japan, we typically see and have access to a ton of rare and unique parts that they produce and we enjoy sharing these cool parts with the communities we're involved with.

As more tuners push the envelope to develop new products, it opens the door for other manufacturers to take that idea and evolve it to make additional advancements towards new and better products. Eventually someone will see what's possible and create something that works for every market.

Currently this supercharger kit isn't officially released for sale yet as I'm sure they have a lot more fine tuning to do.

We'll be keeping a close eye on things as they progress though and we'll keep you all updated.

Originally Posted by ba2sy
Ooohhh... lala... What's the average wHP do they come up with regarding their other Lexus Supercharger kits? What are usually moded on the car? Supercharger thingy, Pistons, Cylinders, Intake, Manifold, ECU, and what else? What's the usual price on the other Lexus models?
Many times supporting mods are needed to run forced induction. Typically an upgraded fuel system like injectors, lines, and fuel pumps are a necessity. More air requires more fuel. Many companies now offer full kits where you can get injectors, fuel rails, lines, and fuel pump. An upgraded exhaust system is highly recommended. Some FI kits will come with new intake systems, however, if it does not, you will want an upgraded intake system to feed more free flowing air to the compressor. An ECU tune is also vital to keep things safe and to pull more power out of each upgraded part. Most times you can also find better gas mileage depending on the tune. For many cars that are normally naturally aspirated from the factory, adding forced induction requires that you strengthen the block. Adding forged pistons, rods, and balancing the crank are vital to keeping things safe and to utilize the full potential of thew new turbo or supercharger. You can run higher boost levels with forged internals. There's a long list of other mods that you will want to get to properly run an FI kit so there's not one easy solution for everybody. Each person will have their own comfort level on what mods they want and need to properly run forced induction on an N/A car.

Originally Posted by airlaird
Wow...93 views and only 1 comment. After lurking on this very slow forum for over a year I feel I must add something. I hope to be in an F in a year or so...having the first Supercharger installed by TRD in my Landcruiser in 1997...this is very exciting news. A supercharger is a bulletproof system. Not sure what is needed other than the ECU and possibly larger injectors.
It would be nice if TRD offered it..but good news nonetheless. So there you have it...now two people who are interested .-)
airlaird
I hope many people are interested. I agree this is very exciting news. That' awesome you had a supercharged Land Cruiser. They are still some of my favorite cars/SUV's.

Originally Posted by Phinatic
OK, I'll make it 3...lol

This is exciting news and something I'm very interested in. Just purchased a RC F this evening, but won't take delivery for another couple of weeks. Don't think I'll be modding right away, but I said the same thing when I bought my '09 Challenger...installed a ProCharger a couple months after the break-in period.
Awesome!! Congrats on the new purchase!! I hope you get to enjoy it soon. As car enthusiasts, we always say we'll keep this one stock but that lasts about a week after we get the car. Then out of boredom we start surfing the web to see what parts are out there LOL.

Originally Posted by ModInJapan
Fingers crossed, I hope this supercharger works.. Going to be crazy!

-Josh
Agreed. We found it to be very interesting. I have a feeling it'll work. The biggest question I have is, how well will it work and will it work across different continents. I guess we'll have to wait and see .

Originally Posted by NotnFsport

Will it work? Of course it will work...in Japan.They can tune their ecus to see the benefits of forced induction. Icode built a supercharger years ago for the ISF. Why is it no one stateside has an Icode scroll ? Tuning options. Another thread Ill bet runs into failed results for stateside Fs.

HKS for the ISF. I wish it worked for US spec cars...
Yep, you're exactly right. We've been having some difficulties finding tuning solutions here in the US. The good thing is, we're seeing companies that are pushing the envelope. Now others need to take that base and improve upon it to make it work for US spec cars. HKS is a global brand so hopefully they make something happen for the US market as well.

Originally Posted by FR500GT
Great to see someone doing FI! Tuning is what I am most curious about
Originally Posted by kareemRCF
wow, interested too.
I'll definitely keep everybody updated as soon as we get more info.

Originally Posted by aWorkOfArt
No worries!! You hit the nail on the head with your comment. We think it's awesome to see aftermarket tuners making advancements in the industry. Hopefully we see more in the coming future. Who knows, maybe we'll see big things in 2016.
The following users liked this post:
BossMoss (12-26-16)
Old 12-30-15, 02:31 PM
chaosrob
Rookie

Exciting. I had a HKS Rotrex Supercharger on my Infinity G35, it came with additional injectors and a piggyback ecu so it is definitely possible
Old 12-30-15, 05:26 PM
BPauto
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by chaosrob
Exciting. I had a HKS Rotrex Supercharger on my Infinity G35, it came with additional injectors and a piggyback ecu so it is definitely possible
Thanks for the input. Yeah for many that aren't familiar with the JDM tuning market, there is usually a big difference between companies like HKS, Greddy, and Blitz compared to more specialized JDM shops like NOVEL, iCode, and LEMS.

Traditionally Japanese vendors never really cared much for expanding their business to other markets such as Europe or the US. They were happy and content staying within their own respective markets. You can see evidence of this today. If anybody received any authentic JDM part recently, you might have received installation instructions in Japanese.

Only recently have they started branching out. They are realizing that for them to sustain any profitability or growth, they have to expand to other markets. Now there are a small handful that will offer English or Japanese instructions. They also started marketing directly to other markets as well.

Companies like HKS, Greddy, Blitz, and Cusco figured this out a while ago. They realized the importance to reach out to a global market which is why they produce parts specifically for the JDM market and specifically for the USDM or Euro market.

If they see something that is really popular, they will produce parts which are cross compatible with the global markets.

That's why I think there might be a chance that this will also work with US spec cars. It's a BIG "might" but it's not entirely impossible. We just don't know yet. We'll have to wait and see. We're hoping though.
Old 12-30-15, 05:49 PM
JT2MA71

Received 1,512 Likes on 656 Posts

Nice!! Can't wait to see the final product and like others, I hope it works on USDM F's. And oh, maybe include a higher volume fuel pump?
Old 12-30-15, 08:38 PM
CharlieVo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Phinatic
OK, I'll make it 3...lol

no such thing as break-in period or break-in the engine.

Quick Reply: Supercharger Kit for RC-F - Option Magazine Teaser!