RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RRRacing / Penske Coilover System for the RCF

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 12:28 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Received 50 Likes on 32 Posts

Let me reiterate the point on nvh. Stock is literally dead silent. You hit a bump or a rut in the road, it's not noisy by any means. But there is a slight sound. Slight. Really only noticeable if you're not listening to music. I've driven my mother in the car and multiple female passengers. Other than the car being low they wouldn't have known otherwise. Just trying to set very real expectations. The setup is not " loud " in any way shape or form.
Old 12-01-15, 01:23 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Hey guys, I had this set up installed yesterday @ Topspeed in Alpharetta. Really impressed so far. I wasn't crazy with the rear height, so we easily increased the rears to what I thought it should be. Look, these are a HIGH QUALITY set of coilovers...COILOVERS. They ride like coilovers,sound like coilovers. They perform incredibly....no bs. The ride is actually much better than what some of you are thinking they do......but it IS a compromise for the performance gains so to someone like me I'm super happy I went with the Penskes. I'm 48, and to me they are comfortable. I just drove over 400 miles and I feel fine.....so does my back. The noise is VERY minimal... But again these are coils. If you listen to your music above 20....you won't hear a thing. The body roll is literally non existent. If you leave your RCF in Sport or Sport+ I'd say go for it. I'll give a more thorough review on my build thread after a few more weeks. I just feel sorry for the bastards that spent 2,700$ on the RSR's LOL.....suckers.
Old 12-10-15, 07:20 AM
JB5674
Advanced

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Hey guys, I had this set up installed yesterday @ Topspeed in Alpharetta. Really impressed so far. I wasn't crazy with the rear height, so we easily increased the rears to what I thought it should be. Look, these are a HIGH QUALITY set of coilovers...COILOVERS. They ride like coilovers,sound like coilovers. They perform incredibly....no bs. The ride is actually much better than what some of you are thinking they do......but it IS a compromise for the performance gains so to someone like me I'm super happy I went with the Penskes. I'm 48, and to me they are comfortable. I just drove over 400 miles and I feel fine.....so does my back. The noise is VERY minimal... But again these are coils. If you listen to your music above 20....you won't hear a thing. The body roll is literally non existent. If you leave your RCF in Sport or Sport+ I'd say go for it. I'll give a more thorough review on my build thread after a few more weeks. I just feel sorry for the bastards that spent 2,700$ on the RSR's LOL.....suckers.
How's week 1?
Old 12-18-15, 01:03 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Ride is great. I traveled from NW Florida down to Miami and back without my back needing any work! Really impressed so far. Just returned from Atlanta this week and I feel fine after the trip. There is some noise when hitting a pot hole or s rough road, but the noise is minimal compared to most coil overs since these have the disks.
Old 12-28-15, 11:48 PM
I8ABMR
Lexus Fanatic

Received 100 Likes on 65 Posts

Thanks for sharing. RR Racing makes some solid stuff. I have the USRS on my ISF and the AOS. Would love these coils down the line. I do a ton of track time in my ISF and I want to eliminate the body roll.
Old 12-29-15, 01:59 PM
JB5674
Advanced

I had an experienced racer drive my car last weekend. His words " this is the most connected car I've ever driven ". He's a Porsche racer and a Bmw enthusiast. He was shocked how minimal the body rolled in turns and how much tq the car has in general. ( I'm all stock with rrr aos and usrs - plus the coils ). After driving my Rcf he was like wow, I get it now. Rafi and team set the car up perfectly. I got into it with a modded VW R on the highway. The driver 'twas shocked how nimble the big Rcf was. Mind you......I put my foot down and blow by the R and he kept up. Big turbo little car the new vws tuned move!!
Old 12-30-15, 01:59 PM
JB5674
Advanced

I wanted to share another impression of the suspension from another friend of mine who recently drove my car.....

" I thoroughly enjoyed the little blast down and up MacArthur driving your striking Lexus. My only comparison is to ride in a Lexus GS - F-Sport a few years ago; that car was very capable but had no soul. The owner only had it briefly for that reason. YOUR car, on the other hand, felt like it was directly wired to my brain. To be able to throw it into only the second corner I'd ever driven the car, drift it briefly, have the LSD kick in and help while still giving me control (I despise the ABS traction control on my E500) is testament to the suspension setup on that car. I expect the factory suspension remains lifeless, but I WANT your car. Now you can have a car with German soul and Japanese reliability. My only quib is that to me all cars should be a 3 pedal manual, but I just don't know how to drive DSG. Well done."
Old 12-31-15, 04:43 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

Originally Posted by JB5674
I had an experienced racer drive my car last weekend. His words " this is the most connected car I've ever driven ". He's a Porsche racer and a Bmw enthusiast. He was shocked how minimal the body rolled in turns and how much tq the car has in general. ( I'm all stock with rrr aos and usrs - plus the coils ). After driving my Rcf he was like wow, I get it now. Rafi and team set the car up perfectly. I got into it with a modded VW R on the highway. The driver 'twas shocked how nimble the big Rcf was. Mind you......I put my foot down and blow by the R and he kept up. Big turbo little car the new vws tuned move!!
Originally Posted by JB5674
I wanted to share another impression of the suspension from another friend of mine who recently drove my car.....

" I thoroughly enjoyed the little blast down and up MacArthur driving your striking Lexus. My only comparison is to ride in a Lexus GS - F-Sport a few years ago; that car was very capable but had no soul. The owner only had it briefly for that reason. YOUR car, on the other hand, felt like it was directly wired to my brain. To be able to throw it into only the second corner I'd ever driven the car, drift it briefly, have the LSD kick in and help while still giving me control (I despise the ABS traction control on my E500) is testament to the suspension setup on that car. I expect the factory suspension remains lifeless, but I WANT your car. Now you can have a car with German soul and Japanese reliability. My only quib is that to me all cars should be a 3 pedal manual, but I just don't know how to drive DSG. Well done."

Josh, thanks for posting that feedback... the unique thing about this setup is the combination of comfort with having a true connected feeling with the car. I think that those of us coming from other import cars like STi, EVO's, etc tend to think that the car has to be harsh and bouncy to be "connected" but that is certainly not the case when you use a properly valved and setup set of Penske shocks.... what I am trying to explain to people is that these are a whole other league compared to conventional coilovers.

Rafi
Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 01-07-16, 03:14 AM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Update,

In order to answer many of the questions concerning how our RRRacing/Penske coilovers compare to the competition, differences in design, advantages of Penske shocks, etc... we have just published a complete suspension white paper.

http://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/215.htm

thanks,

Rafi

The following users liked this post:
CarGoBoom (05-22-22)
Old 01-08-16, 08:35 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Originally Posted by RRRacing
Update,

In order to answer many of the questions concerning how our RRRacing/Penske coilovers compare to the competition, differences in design, advantages of Penske shocks, etc... we have just published a complete suspension white paper.

http://www.rr-racing.com/category-s/215.htm

thanks,

Rafi
Rafi is nothing short of amazing. The white papers are well worth the read. Likewise, I don't believe you'll find any vendor with as detailed of information as what's provide for any suspension product period. Since I've been running this setup for 3k plus miles I feel like it's transformed the car so much from its stock form. I parked next to the same exact car at stock height and really started at both....the visual difference is just a bonus to how well the car performs.

I'm meeting another friend soon who has a Ghibli and is a racer.....I look forward to posting his impression of the Rcf and the Penske coil setup
Old 01-19-16, 01:32 PM
skipetenj
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 17 Posts
Smile The 'M' Beater

Yesterday, Rafi installed the coilovers and USRS in my RCF. I was looking to upgrade the performance aspect of the suspension and did a fair amount of research into the matter. I discussed various options with a few of my car gurus and they all came back to me and said to go with RR Racing. One of the gentlemen, a modified stock car driver, stated he is using the best foundation in the business - Penske Racing Shocks. Another one read his white paper and said he hit it on the nose. Well with that said I decided to move forward. I will never regret the modification. When Rafi completed the installation we went for a drive on his rural back roads. Even in the passenger seat the difference was amazing. The vehicle carved its turns and the coilovers keep my head of the roof. After running down to get an alignment, h I had 2 hours of various driving environments to test it out. Even though the temperature was a little cold I was really able to get a feel of the improvement it made. I could go on and on but let me just say - HE HAS NAILED IT. I am sure the RCF will out perform the M4 on the track now. Thanks so much for your time and discussions. I look forward to future technology advancements from RR Racing. - Pete
Old 01-19-16, 04:14 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Yeah I'm super happy with my setup as well. Looking forward the Nurburgring trip coming up soon with RRracing.
Old 01-19-16, 05:25 PM
JB5674
Advanced

Congrats you two! All I can say is wait until you get comfortable with the setup. Driving becomes really fun!
Old 01-19-16, 05:59 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Originally Posted by skipetenj
Yesterday, Rafi installed the coilovers and USRS in my RCF. I was looking to upgrade the performance aspect of the suspension and did a fair amount of research into the matter. I discussed various options with a few of my car gurus and they all came back to me and said to go with RR Racing. One of the gentlemen, a modified stock car driver, stated he is using the best foundation in the business - Penske Racing Shocks. Another one read his white paper and said he hit it on the nose. Well with that said I decided to move forward. I will never regret the modification. When Rafi completed the installation we went for a drive on his rural back roads. Even in the passenger seat the difference was amazing. The vehicle carved its turns and the coilovers keep my head of the roof. After running down to get an alignment, h I had 2 hours of various driving environments to test it out. Even though the temperature was a little cold I was really able to get a feel of the improvement it made. I could go on and on but let me just say - HE HAS NAILED IT. I am sure the RCF will out perform the M4 on the track now. Thanks so much for your time and discussions. I look forward to future technology advancements from RR Racing. - Pete

Thank you Pete!

If the RCF was close to the M4 on the track before, it will pulverize the M4 with the Penske's. I'd love to get Randy Pobst into your car for a redux of that RCF/M4 comparo...

-Rafi

Old 01-20-16, 04:26 PM
Pearlrider
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What do you do with the stock shock electronics? Just disconnect them and if so does it throw any codes?

Quick Reply: RRRacing / Penske Coilover System for the RCF