RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Brake squeeking issue?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-15, 08:53 PM
jadoocian
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Brake squeeking issue?

I've had my RCF for just over a week now. Brakes squeek at low speeds and it's really annoying.

Took it to dealership today - they mentioned it's a known issue and Lexus is working on it....

Is this really true??? Has anyone else found this issue??
Old 09-30-15, 11:21 PM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Mine hardly squeal, at least not yet. What bothers me a lot is the insane amount of dust they throw. If that doesn't diminish, will have to replace the pads with ceramic ones. I'm never going to track the car, so don't really need racing pads. Squealing is unacceptable to me, so if it's any more than just a sporadic event, I'd replace them asap. So far, no need for that, except the dust. Will keep them for a while and decide later if a change is warranted.
Old 10-01-15, 04:15 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jadoocian
I've had my RCF for just over a week now. Brakes squeek at low speeds and it's really annoying.

Took it to dealership today - they mentioned it's a known issue and Lexus is working on it....

Is this really true??? Has anyone else found this issue??
The Brembo brake system produces exceptional braking and exceptional pad dust. They will squeak at very low speed, e.g., when you are braking at a light, etc.

I find when I power wash the wheels and the rotor area, the problem vanished for 3-4 days.

Lexus will announce something very soon. Stay tuned.
Old 10-01-15, 07:12 AM
Adubs007
Driver School Candidate

When I was at the dealer they said they had a service bulletin and the fix was to swap out the pads but would have me sign a waiver as I was downgrading the stopping power. Does anyone suggest a good cleaner that can fix this?
Old 10-01-15, 07:52 AM
buch
Driver School Candidate

I have some low-speed squeaking but they do seem to be getting better over time (now at 7,000km).
Old 10-01-15, 09:42 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Adubs007
When I was at the dealer they said they had a service bulletin and the fix was to swap out the pads but would have me sign a waiver as I was downgrading the stopping power.
Probably performance ceramic pads. They're not bad at all, and unless you track your car, the best solution to the problem: no noise, last longer, A LOT LESS DUST, and braking distance is not affected. They just can't take the same constant abuse (heat) as a track-oriented pad. If a TSB comes out, I'd definitely jump on that just for the dust alone. Squealing is not an issue for me; it's hardly any and only when touching the brakes very lightly, as when it's required to make a very smooth stop at the end. And that last part is very hard to make on this car, since it artificially applies the brakes harder than you want, so you end up stopping harder than smooth (but not bad once you get the hang of how to do it). Will be looking for that TSB here.
Old 10-01-15, 10:17 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 11 Posts

I purchased new Carbotech 1521 compound brake pads from SpeedFreaks for the front and rear. No squeal and next to nothing brake dust!!! I have put 3000 miles on them and no problems, I love them.
Old 10-01-15, 11:10 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by RAMAIR47
I purchased new Carbotech 1521 compound brake pads from SpeedFreaks for the front and rear. No squeal and next to nothing brake dust!!! I have put 3000 miles on them and no problems, I love them.
^^^^This is Exactly what i did also, but haven't put them on yet. I went to a tire/wheel shop last week that does a lot of work on my cars but they ended up calling me back & telling me i would most likely have to take them to the dealership to do this. They said they didn't have any info on the RCF & all of the sensors etc... that goes on the them (& they have all the computerized machines). They were scared that when they got it apart that they wouldn't be able to put it back without me having CEL issues! I was going to get them to do my pads & paint my calipers red all at the same time. I DON'T want to take it to the dealership just because it's a DEALERSHIP & it's almost 100 miles away. RAMAIR what kind of shop did yours? Thanks
Old 10-01-15, 11:28 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

Believe it or not my dealership did do it with not one phone call!! Cost $350 and also they installed my LEMS intake at the same time. I was worried they would have a problem with something and I actually called them first and they said "all done come and get her" It did take all day though.
Old 10-01-15, 11:31 AM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by RAMAIR47
Believe it or not my dealership did do it with not one phone call!! Cost $350 and also they installed my LEMS intake at the same time. I was worried they would have a problem with something and I actually called them first and they said "all done come and get her" It did take all day though.
Thanks, you didn't ask them to paint your Calipers too did you?
Old 10-01-15, 11:46 AM
RAMAIR47
Driver

I don't know if want to change color or not. I will be getting 20" gloss black rims this Spring and I do like red but I have that combo on my other car, still tossing it around.
Old 10-02-15, 10:27 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Adubs007
When I was at the dealer they said they had a service bulletin and the fix was to swap out the pads but would have me sign a waiver as I was downgrading the stopping power. Does anyone suggest a good cleaner that can fix this?
I did not know they announced it.

The "alternate pads" are quieter and less effective. I love the braking power, so I am sticking with the Brembo pads.

I find a good hand spray at the wash helps a lot.

I can live with the occasional squeak at the lights, but I can't live without the exceptional braking at higher speeds.

This product is great for removing brake dust from the wheels, but I do not have a recommendation for cleaning product that will work with the pads on the vehicle. I believe the pads are slotted as well and dust accumulates--so I was told by Lexus.

http://www.autodetailingshop.co.uk/W...l-cleaner.aspx

Last edited by ISF001; 10-02-15 at 10:30 AM.
Old 10-02-15, 11:11 AM
Zydan
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also purchased Carbotech 1521 from speedfreaks, install was simple, normal breake pad change basically.
I honestly can't tell a difference with the braking power, but I can definitely tell a differnece in the brake dust, 1 week on the front is like 2 days with old pads, and rear wheels barley have any dust after a week.
And best of all not a single squeak, so worth it, see my build thread for pictures.
Old 10-02-15, 03:22 PM
brianlai
Driver School Candidate

I went to my lexus dealership to have it checked on. My RCF has 1,000 miles and squeak pretty bad whenever I brake. They said they would replace all brake pads. They are ordering the parts so once they get them I will be taking it back there.

Another issue I had was my trunk not opening up all the way. It unlocks, but doesnt lift up like it did when I first got it. They are replacing some parts for that as well. Seems like quite a bit of problems for a new car....
Old 10-02-15, 05:31 PM
johnnyreb
Racer

Originally Posted by brianlai
I went to my lexus dealership to have it checked on. My RCF has 1,000 miles and squeak pretty bad whenever I brake. They said they would replace all brake pads. They are ordering the parts so once they get them I will be taking it back there.

Another issue I had was my trunk not opening up all the way. It unlocks, but doesnt lift up like it did when I first got it. They are replacing some parts for that as well. Seems like quite a bit of problems for a new car....
Its pretty much well known that Brembo hi-performance brakes squeak on ALL cars not just the RCF's. & i don't know about your RCF but my trunk doesn't go up automatically, it Only goes up as far as you push it (unless you're saying there's something Stopping it from going up all the way). These 2 things you mentioned are Very SMALL issues, Not Problems by no means. If your car was using a quart of oil every 2 weeks or having CEL's every day, THOSE would be Problems

Quick Reply: Brake squeeking issue?