RC-F Fuel Pump

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-15, 09:40 AM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Exclamation

Originally Posted by Zydan
I got my car back Friday before last, seemed as if the car was having a delayed start after, taking an extra second to turnover, so I took back in this past Friday, they double checked everything and said it's all fine, so hopefully I dont' go through it again.

Hope no one else experiences this, especially a 2nd time.
I would recommend you to keep an eye on the issue I experienced the same problem twice the second time occurred about less than 2 months after the first fix. I personally traded in the car for a new one in hopes that it does not happen again on this one.
Old 06-15-15, 04:59 PM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I dropped the car off this weekend at Jim Falk Beverly Hills to diagnose what I had suspected was the Fuel pump sound. It was a whirring sound at idle and also at speed. Today they confirmed it and said there are no parts in stock, even in Japan...go figure. The car is "safe" to drive so I am going to pick it up but I am going to insist they expedite a replacement part. I don't want that fuel pump screwing up the rest of the drivetrain long-term.

For the record, I am at 4325 miles

Last edited by 6i9; 06-15-15 at 05:03 PM.
Old 06-15-15, 07:01 PM
jmcc09
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 6i9
I dropped the car off this weekend at Jim Falk Beverly Hills to diagnose what I had suspected was the Fuel pump sound. It was a whirring sound at idle and also at speed. Today they confirmed it and said there are no parts in stock, even in Japan...go figure. The car is "safe" to drive so I am going to pick it up but I am going to insist they expedite a replacement part. I don't want that fuel pump screwing up the rest of the drivetrain long-term.

For the record, I am at 4325 miles
It took my dealership about 3 weeks to get a replacement fuel pump from Japan, and I don't know about you guys but I'm starting to see a trend with this vehicle. Above 4,000 miles several fuel pumps have gone bad, I believe that we as customers need to talk to Lexus not dealerships, but directly to the factory because I see a recall in a near future.
Old 06-16-15, 05:21 AM
Z3NK1
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

To those of you that have had fuel pump failures, do you always fill up at the same chain of gas stations, or do you alternate?

Last edited by Z3NK1; 06-16-15 at 05:24 AM.
Old 06-16-15, 09:34 AM
6i9
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I alternate. I don't always drive by the same neighborhoods and gas stations in LA and fill up whenever needed. But usually at high quality brands like Shell, Chevron, 76, Mobil. Never budget gas like Arco or Valero. Doesn't seem to matter.

If you've gotten an invite in your email from Lexus to do a satisfaction survey, be sure to fill it out and highlight this issue.
Old 06-16-15, 01:39 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by Z3NK1
To those of you that have had fuel pump failures, do you always fill up at the same chain of gas stations, or do you alternate?
It ain't the gas. This is the same bs that BMW pumped out when they had fuel pump failures. For whatever reason, it seems as if certain brands are having issues with high pressure fuel pumps. Perhaps they are using the same brand. I dunno, but companies like Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Audi and Mercedes have not seemed to have these issues. Perhaps these companies are producing their parts internally. I am really curious to know. BMW seemed fine until they developed the little twin turbos in the X35 cars. Those have been a disaster since.
Old 06-16-15, 03:13 PM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Not wearing a tinfoil hat here, but I have a bit of driving to do over the next month and the closest dealership is over 100 miles away. If the pump isn't inside the gas tank I'm confident I could change it myself or get to a dealer (there will plenty of dealers where I'll be traveling). Should I go ahead and order one from Lexus? It would suck for something to happen 6-9 hours from home and then have to return a loaner vehicle. Don't even mention letting someone deliver my car to me...haha

Wish there was a way to see how many cars have needed the repair. There's not too many on here (forum) yet that are really active and it seems a good size handful of you guys have experienced the issue.

Last edited by Carnevino; 06-16-15 at 03:35 PM.
Old 06-16-15, 04:31 PM
Dbcooper13
Pit Crew

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts

I believe I would wait for it to break so it will be replaced under warranty. Also the one you would order would be faulty as well since they are replacing them with the exact same model.

It will need to be tweaked and a formal recall to be fixed properly. But as someone else mentioned on this post...when you hear the noise get them to order it. Don't leave your car like most of us did. Mine was on a lift for almost a month waiting on the part.

Drive it til it fails and load the Uber app on your phone.

Originally Posted by Carnevino
Not wearing a tinfoil hat here, but I have a bit of driving to do over the next month and the closest dealership is over 100 miles away. If the pump isn't inside the gas tank I'm confident I could change it myself or get to a dealer (there will plenty of dealers where I'll be traveling). Should I go ahead and order one from Lexus? It would suck for something to happen 6-9 hours from home and then have to return a loaner vehicle. Don't even mention letting someone deliver my car to me...haha

Wish there was a way to see how many cars have needed the repair. There's not too many on here (forum) yet that are really active and it seems a good size handful of you guys have experienced the issue.
Old 06-16-15, 04:39 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Carnevino

You'll be alright. I have 7,500 miles on my car and no issues. Does not seem to hit chronic stage yet. Don't fret. Drive and enjoy.
Old 06-19-15, 10:20 PM
boriii
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Picked up the car today after the pump was replaced and had the longest crank yet before starting. Not good!
Old 06-20-15, 05:37 AM
Carnevino
Advanced

Received 162 Likes on 90 Posts

Doug & Db, thanks for your replies. I'll take your advice. Boriii, mines done that before and so far I haven't had any issues with my pump. There's a customer service forum on Club Lexus, maybe someone that's had this issue can post about it to see what they say. Especially if most of you reply to it to keep it bumped up.
Old 06-21-15, 03:29 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by boriii
Picked up the car today after the pump was replaced and had the longest crank yet before starting. Not good!
Lemmon it if any more strange fuel pump type issues, especially with the paint chip issue. Shoot me a pm if need help writing letters. My firm has offices in LA and SD.
Old 06-22-15, 06:56 AM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Oh no...at 3K miles and start hearing a strange loud whirring noise when idle. I think its the fuel pump *sigh*
Old 06-22-15, 10:16 AM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by kh4nh
Oh no...at 3K miles and start hearing a strange loud whirring noise when idle. I think its the fuel pump *sigh*
I have heard a similar sound since mine was new. 7,500 miles and still pulling strong. Perhaps the sound is nothing to be alarmed about.
Old 06-22-15, 04:21 PM
kh4nh
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

attached a video with sound. You'll have to turn up the volume to hear it but it is a distinct noise. It is just not right for a new $70K car to make this noise...sounds like it is wheezing. I would be embarrassed if my passengers heard this
Attached Files
File Type: mov
IMG_0598 (1).MOV (2.55 MB, 1452 views)

Quick Reply: RC-F Fuel Pump