RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RC F vs GS F, which would you choose?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-15, 02:25 PM
Blackraven
Lexus Champion

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by dmk08
Until you decat the M5 and add a JB4 for $800 to pick up over 100whp.
Hehe yup good point.

For those into aftermarket/modding of their M5/M6, there are many things you can do:
-JB4 tune
-Resonator Delete
-Eisenmann exhaust
-RPI Exhaust
-Switzer Tune

You name it
Old 07-06-15, 05:48 PM
natnut
Pole Position

Received 88 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackraven
Well said sir. As DrRick said, the RCF does not compete with the M5

Wrong on many fronts.

The M5 CP is the CURRENT BENCHMARK STANDARD in its class. The only thing that comes close to it so far is the Audi RS6/RS7.
The only benchmark the M5, CP or not, is good for is at being the benchmark for how overweight a "performance" sedan can be.

BMW is hoping that by throwing more hp at the vehicle, people will be fooled into believing that piggy barge is an actual driver's car rather than the shrunken 7 series it actually is.

Anyway, we are going OT. PM me if you need further education.
Old 07-07-15, 09:19 AM
kdphan
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JaponesV8
Spec wise AND price wise. The RCF starts in the $70s. The M5 starts in the $90s.

While I know the interwebs wants to say the RCF was M5 competition, it's just not. It was never meant to be. Maybe in theory because it is a bad a** F car.

Drop $25K on a turbo setup for the RCF and I'll bet that M5 won't look so impressive.

Not to mention, I still can't figure out why the internet has a web boner for BMWs. They do have nice fit and finish, but they're maintenance prone.....aka pieces of mechanical horse *****. Anything you spend as much time fixing as you do driving is not impressive to me.
jesus christ I had to jump in on the quote above...

Of all the cars I've owned in the past 5 years, none had major issues besides the Audi S4 that had DSG tranny hiccup that Audi knew about and would fix under warranty. It's really ignorant to say that BMW's spend more time getting fixed than on the road. Modern cars don't have too many issues. The only issues I'm aware of is the "transmission malfunction" from DCT units on a few M3/M4, but that's not my issue since I prefer 6MT cars. Have you even owned a BMW to say that they're maintenance prone? Or are you regurgitating what every other uninformed person says about german cars?

e92 M3 - no issues through 40k miles. And maintenance is free 4yr/50k miles.
e86 Z4 coupe - no issues for 15k miles I had (50k to 65k). Service history had no prior issues either.
B8 S4 - no issues besides tranny hiccup up to 50k miles.
e86 Z4Mcoupe - prior owners did not have issues and I have no issues so far up to 79k miles.
GS350 F sport - no issues so far 10k miles.
F80 M3 - free maintenance and no issues so far up to 1,300 miles.
Old 07-07-15, 09:32 AM
JaponesV8
Driver

Originally Posted by kdphan
jesus christ I had to jump in on the quote above...

Of all the cars I've owned in the past 5 years, none had major issues besides the Audi S4 that had DSG tranny hiccup that Audi knew about and would fix under warranty. It's really ignorant to say that BMW's spend more time getting fixed than on the road. Modern cars don't have too many issues. The only issues I'm aware of is the "transmission malfunction" from DCT units on a few M3/M4, but that's not my issue since I prefer 6MT cars. Have you even owned a BMW to say that they're maintenance prone? Or are you regurgitating what every other uninformed person says about german cars?

e92 M3 - no issues through 40k miles. And maintenance is free 4yr/50k miles.
e86 Z4 coupe - no issues for 15k miles I had (50k to 65k). Service history had no prior issues either.
B8 S4 - no issues besides tranny hiccup up to 50k miles.
e86 Z4Mcoupe - prior owners did not have issues and I have no issues so far up to 79k miles.
GS350 F sport - no issues so far 10k miles.
F80 M3 - free maintenance and no issues so far up to 1,300 miles.
Talk to me at 100k+. My family owned a X5.....first breakdown was literally driving it from the dealership home. This is not a joke. BRAND NEW.

Their Mercedes has constant maintenance issues. It's never less than $1000/visit. I'd say they've spent AT LEAST $10-15K in maintenance since buying it new. Has 45k miles on it.

Don't pretend it's like owning a Ferrari. They're faux status vehicles......

I love Porsche though
Old 07-07-15, 09:36 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator
Administrator

Received 2,311 Likes on 1,410 Posts

OK guys back on topic please - RC F vs GS F, not BMW mods and long term quality
Old 07-07-15, 09:47 AM
kdphan
Driver

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
OK guys back on topic please - RC F vs GS F, not BMW mods and long term quality
I take GS F since I have a child coming

Once the GS lease is up in 16 months, GS F will be considered.
Old 07-24-15, 07:41 AM
Twotwo
Rookie

Default Gsf

Originally Posted by Haldol
I would pick the GSF all day
Old 07-24-15, 09:16 PM
val91
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Twotwo
I would pick the GSF all day
Agreed the Gs F hood look better imo no bulge like the rcf
Old 10-02-15, 09:59 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by val91
Agreed the Gs F hood look better imo no bulge like the rcf
i actually think the hood on rcf should also be on gsf!

i am torn which one to get if i do buy.
Old 10-02-15, 10:02 AM
T4Fun
Racer

Received 33 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
both cars are the same weight, RC chassis is 50% stiffer than the GS chassis, shorter wheelbase, and lower height. GS wont be as fast because of this, but you have the 4 doors and space. GSF will sell more because its a 4 door.
where is data that RC is stiffer than GS?
Old 10-13-15, 11:48 PM
DzNutz
Driver School Candidate

RCF fo sho!!!

Same V8 engine, same 467 horsepower, same TVD that is optional on the RCF, but it comes standard on the GSF. The GSF costs more, base price is $85,380 includes everything but two options: a Mark Levinson stereo system and orange-painted calipers. But the RCF is quicker, in part due to a 100-pound weight advantage.

http://www.autoblog.com/2015/10/13/2...-review-video/
Old 10-14-15, 09:15 AM
JCtx
Racer

Received 63 Likes on 43 Posts

The RC-F is better looking than the GS-F from every angle IMO, inside and out. I don't like the elongated headlights that much, nor the DRLs joining them. The rears are similar, but still better on the RC-F, especially with the carbon wing. And the RC-F has sportier suspension, whether it's a good thing for you or not. The only mechanical changes are a more balanced crankshaft pulley (?), and standard TVD. However, the GS-F is better equipped (lane departure, larger nav screen, etc)... but it should, since it's significantly more expensive.

My last comment is Lexus is supposedly limiting production to 2K units for the US. Is that right? And if so, there wasn't any limitation for RC-Fs, right? Seems to me Lexus made many more than demand, prompting discounts on them. I also like the idea of having minimal options on the GS-F. The RC-F basically looks identical to a pedestrian RC F-sport, plus a base one is $17K less than what I paid for my fully-optioned example (the GS-F difference should be about 2 grand, with only ML and ugly orange calipers). That never bodes well for resale or exclusivity. None of us full-spec buyers are too interested on either one or wouldn't have bought the car, but it wouldn't hurt if that was the case.

Last edited by JCtx; 10-14-15 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-14-15, 11:54 AM
FCReulB
Rookie

RC F for me, because I want a 2 door coupé, not a 4 door sedan~
Old 10-16-15, 05:46 PM
LDEUX
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd pick the new IS-F all day. Oh, wait...
Old 10-17-15, 11:42 PM
aginnt
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ELP_JC

My last comment is Lexus is supposedly limiting production to 2K units for the US. Is that right? And if so, there wasn't any limitation for RC-Fs, right? Seems to me Lexus made many more than demand, prompting discounts on them.
At Detroit, Head of US said they were planning on selling around 200 RC Fs a month in the US, less than GS F.

Quick Reply: RC F vs GS F, which would you choose?