RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

RCF Carbon Weight???

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-15, 08:46 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Not sure why everyone is griping over 20 lbs (presumably)... At 3958 lbs, 20 lbs is .5%; a half of a half of a percent off It's not going to make a difference. Like a poster above said, a heavy set/overweight person will easily offset that weight savings.

This is mainly for aesthetics. You, I, and Lexus all know this.
Old 02-26-15, 08:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

its nice to knwo the actual numbers. Really wish the TVD was kept seperate, do not want to spend $5500 just to get the TVD and some small weight gains. I mainly want the TVD
Old 02-26-15, 10:43 AM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
yea get rid of the moonroof to safe more weight. But most dealers order the $1200 moonroof option :|

hood was already aluminum so CF isnt going to save too much over that. The roof wasnt that big to begin with so not as big savings

And that's why I still don't have my car because I did not want the moon roof or the wheels and spent the extra $$$ on my ML system.

Get's to port on 3/27 said I should have a week or so after that, ordered 11/22
Old 02-26-15, 12:28 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
Not sure why everyone is griping over 20 lbs (presumably)... At 3958 lbs, 20 lbs is .5%; a half of a half of a percent off It's not going to make a difference. Like a poster above said, a heavy set/overweight person will easily offset that weight savings.

This is mainly for aesthetics. You, I, and Lexus all know this.
i also wise more people can understand this. heck, even the freaking lfa went from all aluminum to 65% cf and that saves 200lb. just a panel or so is more about marketing and cool factor than anything else. but clearly people buy into that
Old 02-26-15, 10:19 PM
TF109B
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Carbon is stiffer than aluminum. A lighter stiffer roof will cut down the C O G, which should help with the handling. But its probably minimal.

Last edited by TF109B; 02-26-15 at 10:38 PM.
Old 02-27-15, 12:16 AM
jdmSW20
Racer

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by rominl
i also wise more people can understand this. heck, even the freaking lfa went from all aluminum to 65% cf and that saves 200lb. just a panel or so is more about marketing and cool factor than anything else. but clearly people buy into that
^^^^^^^^^exactly what he said

I saw it mentioned earlier in the thread but its the same factor on the E92 M3. the carbon roof didn't save as much weight as one would like to believe. I have it just on luck of the draw, but I will say I wish I had a moonroof just because that "weight savings" aint as important to me as a dedicated track guy

but It does have a cool factor to it though lol
Old 02-28-15, 09:40 PM
mk4umha
Pit Crew

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

FYI, it's not all about the weight savings for CF. It's more of lowering the center of gravity, on tighter turns, the car won't lean as much as a normal moon roof one. The TVD is awesome and if you track it, you will want it.
Old 02-28-15, 10:27 PM
primecut
Lexus Test Driver

I wouldn't expect CF to make a difference, it sure looks nice though!

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
That's disappointing to hear as I found The fit and finish of the car amazing. It really does compete well with a 997 Porsche turbo in my opinion.
Looks like I was in the same boat at some point late last year . I assume you are comparing the 997.2, because I'm almost certain that the RC-F interior is better than the .1 (They revised the center stack). I'd still give the edge to the RC-F over the .2 unless you are looking at one that has the optional interior leather packages.

What did you think of the 997TT (Tip?PDK?Stick?) compared to your ISF and RCF?
Old 03-02-15, 09:15 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by primecut
I wouldn't expect CF to make a difference, it sure looks nice though!

Looks like I was in the same boat at some point late last year . I assume you are comparing the 997.2, because I'm almost certain that the RC-F interior is better than the .1 (They revised the center stack). I'd still give the edge to the RC-F over the .2 unless you are looking at one that has the optional interior leather packages.

What did you think of the 997TT (Tip?PDK?Stick?) compared to your ISF and RCF?
I got to drive a PDK and I can really say that its better in almost every way. The Porsche shifted like hell and really made me smile. Only downfall would be that the top end gearing isn't as aggressive as the Isf.
Old 02-26-16, 12:05 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Can't tell you the weight, but I do know the CF roof alone lists at $13K from Toyota and the rear wing $3K.

It's a non-negotiable option for me. Must-have. Makes the car an F car. Also don't like how the moonroof lifts up. A major drag literally and figuratively.
Old 02-26-16, 12:06 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
I got to drive a PDK and I can really say that its better in almost every way. The Porsche shifted like hell and really made me smile. Only downfall would be that the top end gearing isn't as aggressive as the Isf.
Disagree. The RCF tranny is much smoother at slower speeds and likely more durable-reliable long-run.
Old 02-28-16, 12:35 PM
DougHII
Lexus Test Driver

Received 30 Likes on 26 Posts

Originally Posted by ROK
Disagree. The RCF tranny is much smoother at slower speeds and likely more durable-reliable long-run.
The PDK is bar none, one of the best gear boxes you can have in a street car.

The RCF trannie is an automatic granny slush box compared to the PDK. I am a manual guy through and through and was very resistant to the PDK. After a long list of manual turbos, 87, 92, 94, 98, 01, 04, I got PDK on my 997 tt and it was amazing. Much better than the 355, 360, 430 and Gallardo sequential. I do really like the 458 F1 though . . . They are on par with each other.

I would compare the RCF to Porsches tiptronic versions in the 996 series. That was 99 through 2004 though, but I knew those well as my ex-wife had two 996s with tip and we had a Cayenne.

The RCF is fine for street use and can be fun, but it us actually the main area I think the RCF is the one area upon which Lexus needs to focus most. This car should have a better transmission.
Old 03-17-16, 06:45 PM
chaosrob
Rookie

I grabbed my CF car knowing that there wasn't a real weight savings (with TVD) but I like the look, did not want a moonroof and thought it pulled the whole package together for me. I may not need the TVD but at this level what does a few extra grand really matter.
Old 03-17-16, 08:58 PM
ROK
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by DougHII
The PDK is bar none, one of the best gear boxes you can have in a street car.

The RCF trannie is an automatic granny slush box compared to the PDK. I am a manual guy through and through and was very resistant to the PDK. After a long list of manual turbos, 87, 92, 94, 98, 01, 04, I got PDK on my 997 tt and it was amazing. Much better than the 355, 360, 430 and Gallardo sequential. I do really like the 458 F1 though . . . They are on par with each other.

I would compare the RCF to Porsches tiptronic versions in the 996 series. That was 99 through 2004 though, but I knew those well as my ex-wife had two 996s with tip and we had a Cayenne.

The RCF is fine for street use and can be fun, but it us actually the main area I think the RCF is the one area upon which Lexus needs to focus most. This car should have a better transmission.
We get it old man. You enjoy huffing and puffing about all these fancy cars you've had your hands on with a Chiron and 675LT open top on order, yet you offer so little end value it's borderline pathetic. 996 Tiptronic units? Don't give us what you're smoking because you speak utter nonsense.

For the short-sighted, they see the RCF transmission as a simple automatic with a torque converter when in fact it strikes the best balance between GT-style languid, pleasure cruising to sport+ locked shifts delivering some of the fastest shift times in the world outside of your mega six figure supercars. You add to this the no fuss Lexus reliability taking you well into six figure+ on the odo and you've got legitimate reasons why many of us are Lexus RCF fans backed by our wallet. On the flip side, though still supporting my argument that Lexus knows wtf they're doing, the LFA was lambasted by a number of pro auto reviewers for using a single clutch automated gearbox yet one of the most jaded drivers in the world, Jeremy Clarkson, lauded it as the best car ever made. Take your claims of Porsche Tiptronicness to the sewer, pal.

Positively the longer I own this thing the more I appreciate Japanese engineering's harmonious approach where the whole really makes the most out of the sum of its parts. You've got the crazy over-built chassis coupled with one of the silkiest V8's in the world shifted through a bank vault of a transmission that can play both eco green and pavement pounder which makes me one happy camper. You press the throttle in the parking lot making tight maneuvers. No delay or noise or odd shuffling at all. You mash the pedal to the floor accompanied by a cacophony of Yamaha tuned engine noise with hands gripped on the perfectly sized steering wheel with nary a worry that something's going to go poo poo. You press the start button every morning and the HD LCD display lights up your day no glitches. You stare at the sun beaming into your cabin yet you know Lexus supplied you with windows that'll keep your skin youthful and noise out. You're commandeering with your right foot a flippin' 5.0 V8 beast of an engine that features atkinson tech (the largest engine application of its kind in the world today) making it as efficient as the easy-way-out smaller turbo engines (aheM) so popular in Germany where reliability is engineered to endure the first lessee.

Are there areas for improvement? Absolutely. I look forward to all makes/models making innovation top priority, but I'm enjoying the heck out of the RCF as-is because it has its own unique character in its class.

P.S. CF package is a must
Old 03-17-16, 09:14 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 184 Likes on 143 Posts

but there are more than a few reviews who showed their doubts about the single clutch on the lfa. what does a car being one of the best have anything to do with some parts of it that people don't like?

i have had quite some seat time in the lfa, and while it's an incredible car, i do think the tranny can use improvements. but that doesn't change my feeling that it's the best car i have driven

Quick Reply: RCF Carbon Weight???