RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Compact spare tire

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-16, 05:44 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Perfect... Know buy the Guam cover parts and you can clean up the look...

~ Joe Z

Originally Posted by Dbcooper13
Another option. Find a used RCF rim on eBay or a single aftermarket rim. I threw on my original summer tire I had taken off.

Last edited by Joe Z; 02-18-16 at 05:48 PM.
Old 02-19-16, 06:33 AM
RCFun
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default dumb question

Ok I'm not a tire guy...but if I was going to buy a used RC F rim as a spare, would it matter (or is there a preference) to mount a front versus rear tire size unto the "spare"? I assume use the smaller one? thanks
Old 02-19-16, 10:12 AM
7No
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone using or contemplating run-flats? I know the bimmer guys hate 'em.
Old 02-20-16, 09:46 PM
Joe Z
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1,058 Likes on 586 Posts
Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RCFun
Ok I'm not a tire guy...but if I was going to buy a used RC F rim as a spare, would it matter (or is there a preference) to mount a front versus rear tire size unto the "spare"? I assume use the smaller one? thanks
Yes a Front would be preferred as a full size temporary...

You wouldn't want to put a 275/35 up front - your car would pull like crazy..

Joe Z
Old 02-29-16, 02:07 PM
SBG200
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That must chew up a fair bit of space? My A4 compact spare fits in the well below the floor and allows the stock cover to sit flush as intended. Full use of trunk is a good thing.
Old 10-13-16, 07:39 AM
phm14
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt those suggesting roadside assistance have spent hours sitting on the side of the road, waiting. I've trained my Wife and Daughter to change tires, because I don't want them sitting on the side of some highway, helpless, and a target for predators. Also, if you have a tire failure that can't be plugged or gooped, and you're not near a major city, there may not be any matching replacement tires on hand, which would leave you spending at least one night, or buying the wrong tire and having to replace it. Has anyone found a compact spare that will work on the RCF?
Old 10-13-16, 07:57 AM
Ne1tHeRe
Instructor

Received 111 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Joe Z
Yes a Front would be preferred as a full size temporary...

You wouldn't want to put a 275/35 up front - your car would pull like crazy..

Joe Z
Only problem is if the rear blows and not the front....will the front wheel fit and clear the calipers on the rear?

Best is not to drive the car at all. Just look at it and not worry about the tires getting a flat :P

I got a flat in the rear before w/ my RC F. Luckily, it was near to where I lived and I have a second set of wheels
Old 10-13-16, 09:45 AM
Deanrcf
Pole Position

Received 53 Likes on 37 Posts

I bought the car with 89xx miles and it came with a spare. At 45 lbs, I can actually say the car feels more peppy without it. I'm in San Diego urban area, not so rural. Roadside shouldn't take too long. In the meantime as a back up, I will carry this, even if it's just for the air pump: http://www.slime.com/us/products/aut...fety-spair.php
Old 10-14-16, 03:15 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

It looks to me like a full size spare takes up a good portion of the usable trunk space.

I can't recall ever having to use a spare tire. I keep it on the road and don't drive on the shoulders either (except when Johnnie Law wants to have a word with me). Add to that a little bit of luck perhaps?

I'd rather keep my trunk space. In the extremely rare event that I do get a flat that's what roadside assistance is for.

Last edited by Davew77; 10-14-16 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-14-16, 05:00 PM
RCF2016
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Was told by my tire service station that using the sealant destroys the tire pressure sensor. Costly to replace. Was also told by Lexus that they had no compact spare available.
Old 10-14-16, 06:38 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

The ISF spare should fit. But, someone needs to try.

Lou
Old 10-14-16, 06:47 PM
Bayernfan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My wife (RC F is her car) calls me on her way to work saying the left rear tire is losing air with about 5 miles left in her drive. It lost about 6psi if I remember correctly. She makes it to work since the pressure stabilized. I told her to wait on calling Roadside if it is an easy patch. I get to the car and see a huge bolt near the sidewall. Figuring the tire can't be fixed, I call Roadside and after about 10 min a wrecker driver calls me and says he's 15-20 min away. (I'm in Houston). I already had pulled the wheel off and decided to call the closest dealer to see if they have the tire in stock (because Roadside doesn't know dealer stock). That dealer only had one, so I reserved it. I figured it was quicker to just take the wheel and tire to the dealer instead of towing the whole car since the dealer was 10 min away. Called Roadside back and cancelled them.

Got to the dealer and they replaced the tire within 40 minutes. My SA didn't realize I purchased the tire and wheel warranty and tried to charge me $440 for the tire. Fixed that pretty quickly with a quick phone call, got the tire for free since it still had 6/32 left.

Her car is definitely prone to cosmetic damage. Have had two tire patches previous to this replacement. My wife has been keeping the tire pressure readings screen on at all times after the first time she ran over a nail.

Its on its third windshield in 15 months. Each time a rock hit in the middle near the bottom of the glass . She couldn't see any damage, because the dash obscures that part of the glass, then within hours a 12-16" crack would appear.

There is also a 4" dent/crease in the hood caused by a piece of flying sheetrock.
Can't wait for the next windshield!
Old 10-15-16, 01:03 PM
Davew77
Lead Lap

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by RCF2016
Was told by my tire service station that using the sealant destroys the tire pressure sensor. Costly to replace. Was also told by Lexus that they had no compact spare available.
I can hardly believe Lexus even put that crap in a flat tire kit. Even without TPMS you shouldn't use any type of "goo" that fixes flats in your tires. Unless it's an absolute necessity (No roadside assistance). Not only can it mess up your TPMS but is coats the inside of your tires and rims. Most places will charge you extra for having to clean that crap off of your rims when you change the tire. If you fix a tire with it and leave it in there it will also very likely throw off your wheel balance.

It's just all around bad stuff. But if you can't get roadside assistance or absolutely cannot afford to wait for them then I guess go ahead and use it. Just be prepared to pay for it later.
Old 07-05-17, 05:11 PM
drgrant
Instructor

Received 119 Likes on 99 Posts

I realize I'm bumping an old thread, but was wondering if anyone had any part #s for both the spare tire and the "guam cover" that's shown earlier in this thread... is this buyable by people in CONUS? Of course I realize with the tire you're probably better off just getting a front rim and throwing on a used tire from a previous change
interval.

-Mike
Old 07-05-17, 09:33 PM
flowrider
Lexus Champion

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,288 Posts

^^^^The floor pan in the trunk is too small on US models to fit a full size wheel and tire.

Lou

Quick Reply: Compact spare tire