Search this Thread

Old 03-26-15, 05:15 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MRxSLAYx
Thats the Target Market Though lmaoooo
Right... and the moon is polka dot.

The demographic has been shifted intentionally upwards by Lexus. You're spending a lot more money than the prior ISF buyer to hop into this one--and by Lexus' design.

I'm sure that it is not going to be the top choice for drag strip racers. It's the perfect 363/2 road/track car for the majority of the buying demographic, and much more than most of us really need in overall performance--but we want it.

Thus far (after 2 weeks), the RCF does not fail to impress and delight this driver, and I've got plenty more to explore with this new beast.
Old 03-26-15, 06:13 AM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ISF001
Right... and the moon is polka dot.

The demographic has been shifted intentionally upwards by Lexus. You're spending a lot more money than the prior ISF buyer to hop into this one--and by Lexus' design.

I'm sure that it is not going to be the top choice for drag strip racers. It's the perfect 363/2 road/track car for the majority of the buying demographic, and much more than most of us really need in overall performance--but we want it.

Thus far (after 2 weeks), the RCF does not fail to impress and delight this driver, and I've got plenty more to explore with this new beast.
You do realize that the base price of a 2014 ISF was $61500 and the base price of the RCF is $62400, right? That's hardly 'a lot more money'. Obviously its more than the 2008 model but...that's inflation. Not lexus shifting the demo 'intentionally upwards'.
Old 03-26-15, 08:19 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by DrRick
You do realize that the base price of a 2014 ISF was $61500 and the base price of the RCF is $62400, right? That's hardly 'a lot more money'. Obviously its more than the 2008 model but...that's inflation. Not lexus shifting the demo 'intentionally upwards'.
There is a $19,000 difference between the two cars, and this is not insignificant.

Based price in rarely representative of what folks buy with any car. I am referring to total cost for a loaded car--what is actually paid for the ride.

The most you could spend for the loaded ISF was around $67,000 with taxes. I spent around $86,000 with taxes for the loaded carbon TVD.

I view this as an intentional shift upwards in the buying chain--a reach for deeper pockets.
Old 03-26-15, 08:25 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

RCF has more extensive optioning than the ISF did. But loaded with premium and ML/nav an RCF is about 70k whereas an ISF was about 67ish. So it is a tad more expensive but it has a lot more stuff than the ISF did.
Old 03-26-15, 08:43 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
RCF has more extensive optioning than the ISF did. But loaded with premium and ML/nav an RCF is about 70k whereas an ISF was about 67ish. So it is a tad more expensive but it has a lot more stuff than the ISF did.
Most of the RCFs in this area are equipped with options at $72,000-73,000--non carbon, no TVD, etc.
Old 03-26-15, 08:45 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There is a $19,000 difference between the two cars, and this is not insignificant.

Based price in rarely representative of what folks buy with any car. I am referring to total cost for a loaded car--what is actually paid for the ride.

The most you could spend for the loaded ISF was around $67,000 with taxes. I spent around $86,000 with taxes for the loaded carbon TVD.

I view this as an intentional shift upwards in the buying chain--a reach for deeper pockets.
Also factor in the "coupe tax". Coupe versions usually cost more than sedans.
Old 03-26-15, 09:19 AM
MRxSLAYx
Lexus Champion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first ISF was over with 70k with taxes and more expensive than the non Carbon/TVD that the dealer wanted to sell me. I got quoted 81/82k for a carbon tvd car that was fully loaded but couldn't find where the extra value was. That said, the ISF was under priced to begin with.

I wouldn't say that the demographic has been purposefully shifted considering that the price points are about the same for their situations. Its pretty easy to argue that 70k eight years ago has more buying power than 80k today.

Last edited by MRxSLAYx; 03-26-15 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-26-15, 11:38 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

My first ISF was over with 70k with taxes and more expensive than the non Carbon/TVD that the dealer wanted to sell me. I got quoted 81/82k for a carbon tvd car that was fully loaded but couldn't find where the extra value was. That said, the ISF was under priced to begin with.

I wouldn't say that the demographic has been purposefully shifted considering that the price points are about the same for their situations. Its pretty easy to argue that 70k eight years ago has more buying power than 80k today.
The F line is moving up the food chain--watch.
Old 03-26-15, 12:25 PM
Ryanmcd
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Good point, my 1991 NSX was 90k new, the new one is 150k I wish we could go back to 1995 car prices 40k got you any top end Japanese car
Old 03-26-15, 01:07 PM
Orion
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The F line is moving up the food chain--watch.
Lexus certainly hopes to set that precedence with the GS F.
If it is projected to be priced in the 70-80k range that many predict, that will undercut its competitors by a significant margin. The M5, E63, XFR, and RS7 are all starting around the $100k mark.

The only remaining competitor potentially in the same price range is the 640hp CTS-V which may not look as good or sound as good as the Lexus. With a full exhaust and headers it should be able to keep up with the V.

An F equipped with the TVD and a better 363/2 balance, combined with the Luxury, Road Presence, and Reliability Lexus is known for will make this car the biggest underdog champ we've seen just yet.
Old 03-26-15, 01:53 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Orion
Lexus certainly hopes to set that precedence with the GS F.
If it is projected to be priced in the 70-80k range that many predict, that will undercut its competitors by a significant margin. The M5, E63, XFR, and RS7 are all starting around the $100k mark.

The only remaining competitor potentially in the same price range is the 640hp CTS-V which may not look as good or sound as good as the Lexus. With a full exhaust and headers it should be able to keep up with the V.

An F equipped with the TVD and a better 363/2 balance, combined with the Luxury, Road Presence, and Reliability Lexus is known for will make this car the biggest underdog champ we've seen just yet.
No way the new GSF keeps pace with the CTS-V. We're talking similar weight, similar class-leading chassis and a near 200 hp deficit. And more than likely over 200 hp deficit once both are strapped to the rollers. The CTS VSport is a more realistic target.

The CTS-V looks to be the best car in the super sedan market...
Old 03-26-15, 01:56 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I have the feeling CTS-V will be a bit pricey. The V Sport Premium is already 70k+ starting. Although they are rotting on the lots and you can get big discounts. That means a CTS-V can easily be be near 85k starting. A Z06 vette is already 80k starting and the CTS-V has to be more expensive than that. No doubt the CTS-V will have killer performance.
Old 03-26-15, 02:11 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

I have the feeling CTS-V will be a bit pricey. The V Sport Premium is already 70k+ starting. Although they are rotting on the lots and you can get big discounts. That means a CTS-V can easily be be near 85k starting. A Z06 vette is already 80k starting and the CTS-V has to be more expensive than that. No doubt the CTS-V will have killer performance.
unfortunately, youre prolly right. although, compared to the E63/M5, its a relative bargain....$95K for a Caddy is pretty much a non-starter. much to my brother's chagrin...

i still cant get past the massive front and rear overhangs on the car. it just ruins the car...
Old 03-26-15, 02:16 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

I like the front of the V but the sides and rear are horribly bland. They just tack on some body parts like a spoiler and rear lip kit and call it good. Pretty meh. Same thing happens for the ATS. Even on the V Sport its very difficult to tell that from a regular CTS.
Old 03-26-15, 02:26 PM
DrRick
Lexus Champion

I like the front of the V but the sides and rear are horribly bland. They just tack on some body parts like a spoiler and rear lip kit and call it good. Pretty meh. Same thing happens for the ATS. Even on the V Sport its very difficult to tell that from a regular CTS.
see...i think the ATS looks incredible. the CTS...not so much.

Quick Reply: RC F automotive reviews thread