RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model

Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!

Old 09-22-14, 05:22 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

are yall even reading the thread?

its not speaker sound, its piped in like the LFA through ductwork and chambers like a real musical instrument is - hence Yamaha. Theres no volume control on the RCF because it isnt electronic.
Old 09-22-14, 10:06 AM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen

its not speaker sound, its piped in like the LFA through ductwork and chambers like a real musical instrument is - hence Yamaha. Theres no volume control on the RCF because it isnt electronic.
Excellent news--which means the sound is going to be incredible.
Old 09-22-14, 10:33 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,117 Likes on 1,292 Posts

Maybe I'm missing it, but I didn't read that at all in this thread. What I read sounded like:

1) The ductwork referenced is the secondary air intake that opens at a specific RPM just like the IS-F does. It makes great noise, but not related to the ASC we're talking about

2) The RC-F ASC sounds to me like it is electronic and shows up in Sport S+ mode only and adds LFA-based sounds through a dedicated speaker based on engine inputs.

Details around this are pretty sparse, but the RCF Press kit release notes seemed pretty clear, albeit worded to avoid controversy "generates augmented sound through an actuator".

Last edited by DaveGS4; 09-22-14 at 10:36 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 10:39 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

it said Sport+ uses an actuator, meaning something is being physically moved/opening/closing. So something is being opened/closed that sends sound to the driver. It isnt a speaker based system. If it was, you wouldnt need stuff opening/closing for electronic sound.

post #36

An electronic control unit mounted beneath the instrument panel takes input from engine sounds, including varying engine speed, vehicle speed and throttle position and generates augmented sound through an actuator. It is entirely separate from audio system, so there’s no reduction in music fidelity.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-22-14 at 10:43 AM.
Old 09-22-14, 10:46 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

That's the exact post I read as well, and think you're missing some key words.

"takes input from" (data inputs to create generated engine noise), "generates augmented sound' (not ducted) "separate from the audio system" (meaning coming through a speaker not a chamber) and also "blends with the natural intake and exhaust sounds to about a 50:50 ratio." (meaning 50% isn't actual engine noise, it's generated sound)

I truly hope you are right and I am wrong, but I don't think so.
Old 09-22-14, 11:36 AM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

i have experienced it in the nx200t and honestly i think it's very stupid. i don't feel like it's coming from speakers but for sure it sounds very artificial. it's from an actuator according to your engine speed and rpm so if you are just revving it up in P it doesn't do anything.

there is a volume button that you can adjust how much "sound" you want inside the cabin

but again, i feel it's very stupid. i don't care if it's actuator and then a flap controlling how much noise to come in, or the pre-recorded ones in m3/4/5, or if it's even just that sound generator in the is250/350 f sport, they are all artificial and feel so wrong
Old 09-22-14, 12:17 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

is putting an exhaust and intake on a car artificial then?

Sound is augmented so louder than what it would normally be. The "sound adjuster panel" in this article is what I think the actuator is. Because that panel is the one mixing the high and low frequency noises on the LFA which is similarly described for the RCF.

how yamaha did the LFA
http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2009/20091021.html

Features of the acoustic design

To perform this acoustic design, we viewed the engine as the generator of sound and the automobile as a medium for conveying sounds from one place to another. We then came up with an idea for how to achieve a smooth interaction between drivers and vehicles, and it was adopted.

The Lexus LFA is powered by a 10-cylinder engine that was co-developed by Yamaha Motor and has an even firing interval. Only physical acoustic methods were utilized to give the driver a direct sensation of this engine’s characteristics. There is no electrical or electronic sound processing. As a result, sounds that reach the driver are clear, dynamic, and smooth.

Furthermore, this acoustic approach has two advantages. The first is the ability to hold down noise under normal driving conditions, such as in a city. The other advantage is an outstanding response in engine sound during strong acceleration.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-22-14 at 12:26 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 01:42 PM
rominl
exclusive matchup

Received 183 Likes on 142 Posts

is putting an exhaust and intake on a car artificial then?

Sound is augmented so louder than what it would normally be. The "sound adjuster panel" in this article is what I think the actuator is. Because that panel is the one mixing the high and low frequency noises on the LFA which is similarly described for the RCF.

how yamaha did the LFA
http://www.yamaha.com/news_release/2009/20091021.html
if you can't distinguish between artificially generated "added" sound vs sound generated naturally though intake, surge tank, and exhaust design, then there is nothing else i can say.

i wouldn't really remotely try to put the lfa into the same discussion. i think you should understand how the generator is being implemented on the is250/350 fsport on the intake.
Old 09-22-14, 03:48 PM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

looks like RCF is doing similar things with the sound as the LFA is. RCF got a designed surge tank, both cars are mixing intake/exhaust sounds with the actuator under the instrument cluster if you refer to the yamaha link

From the Lexus LFA Press Release:

- The superb acoustics of the LFAs V10 engine have been acoustically tuned to deliver a unique and Formula 1-inspired soundtrack
- Horizontally split intake surge tank mimics the acoustic chambers of wind and string instruments for a rich and resonant bass
- Tuned large diameter, equal-length exhaust manifolds run through dual exhaust pipes with a lightweight titanium dual-stage main silencer
- Motorsport-inspired main silencer features valve-actuation and lightweight titanium construction
- Three acoustically optimised sound channels ensure the LFAs cabin is filled with the engines sonorous intake and exhaust soundtracks.

The Lexus LFA is a car with relentless power delivery and an accompanying exhaust note to give you goose bumps, enthuses its chief engineer Haruhiko Tanahashi. He and his team have enhanced and fine tuned the acoustics of the LFAs ground-breaking V10 powerplant to deliver an awe-inspiring soundtrack from idle note to red-line wail - for those both inside and outside of the cabin.

The LFAs acoustic team studied the unmistakable soundtrack generated by a Formula 1 car at maximum revs. By emphasising the secondary combustion frequency of the LFAs engine and then introducing primary, secondary and tertiary firing harmonics, Tanahashi and his team created a signature exhaust note unlike that of any other road car.

This incredible soundtrack that significantly enhances the sensation of acceleration and speed was only made possible by meticulously tuning the LFAs multi-stage exhaust system. The left and right banks of the engine feature separate, equal-length, large diameter exhaust manifolds that not only enhance high-rev torque levels but also create a crisp and harmonious sound quality. After exiting the catalytic converters, the separate left and right exhausts flow through a smaller silencer box and then into the main multi-stage silencer housed behind the rear transaxle gearbox.

The main silencer features lightweight titanium construction, and employs a valve-actuated, dual-stage structure that channels exhaust flow according to engine speed. At 3,000 rpm and below, the exhaust valve remains closed to route the exhaust through multiple chambers for an unobtrusive exhaust note. Above this threshold, the valve opens, letting the exhaust bypass the chambers, flow into a single resonance chamber and exit directly through the LFAs strikingly stacked trio of exhaust outlets.

As well as tuning the exhaust note, the V10s induction system was also modified to complement the engines acoustic qualities. The powerplants uniquely formed horizontally split resin surge tank mimics the acoustic chambers of wind and string instruments. In addition, the V10s primary air intake port is fashioned from porous duct material to generate bass to mid-range tones.

The engines induction and exhaust soundtrack are carefully channelled into the LFAs cabin. The main sound channel that pipes in the engines induction notes runs from the surge tank through into the cabin below the main dash panel. This is complemented by two further sound channels - the upper cowl opening and the lower reflector.

The upper cowl opening, positioned at the top of the dash structure, is mainly responsible for piping mid- to high-range tones directly into the cockpit, while the lower reflector at the base of the cabin envelopes the LFAs occupants in rich and resonant engine notes. Along with the primary sound channel, these two acoustic enhancers ensure the driver sits at the center of what the LFA team call the 3D Surround Sound Concept a stirring soundscape that also acts as a constant aural reminder of the engines performance.

Last edited by 4TehNguyen; 09-22-14 at 03:54 PM.
Old 09-22-14, 04:55 PM
ISF001
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

looks like RCF is doing similar things with the sound as the LFA is. RCF got a designed surge tank, both cars are mixing intake/exhaust sounds with the actuator under the instrument cluster if you refer to the yamaha link
If it we're electronically induced, there would be a volume control. Is there a volume control to regulate the sound?
Old 09-22-14, 06:05 PM
Mr Bond
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Found this video of how an sound actuator works/sounds on the outside. Its actually reminds very much of the throaty noise RC-F makes when its activated. Remember that this an V6 diesel . Listen to the acceleration sound in the end, almost like an petrol V8.

Old 09-22-14, 06:25 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 102 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Maybe I'm missing it, but I didn't read that at all in this thread. What I read sounded like:

1) The ductwork referenced is the secondary air intake that opens at a specific RPM just like the IS-F does. It makes great noise, but not related to the ASC we're talking about

2) The RC-F ASC sounds to me like it is electronic and shows up in Sport S+ mode only and adds LFA-based sounds through a dedicated speaker based on engine inputs.

Details around this are pretty sparse, but the RCF Press kit release notes seemed pretty clear, albeit worded to avoid controversy "generates augmented sound through an actuator".
i dont think it is the same system as what NX uses... every preview said the sound was great while almost nobody liked the artificial sound from NX.
Old 09-22-14, 07:16 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think it is the same system as what NX uses... every preview said the sound was great while almost nobody liked the artificial sound from NX.
I don't either (they wouldn't use the same sounds for sure), but I do still think that it's a generated electronic sound via a speaker similar to the NX vs a complex Yamaha tuned set of actuated ducts like the LFA. The RCF sounds awesome in all the videos and like I said, I hope I'm wrong and it's more like the LFA approach vs a noise generator

Guess we'll have to wait for more info to be released on this topic to settle this
Old 09-23-14, 07:56 AM
Levi68
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

As long a it sounds good....the M3/M4 even with sound generator doesn't sound that good, for an M3/M4.
Old 09-23-14, 09:22 AM
GSteg
Rookie

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

All my cars deliver natural acoustics into the cabin. I can adjust the volume by pressing up/down on the window switch

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Lexus RC F to employ "ASC" - Active Sound Control for Interior Cabin..!!