RC F (2015-present) Discussion topics related to the RC F model
View Poll Results: Would you order a moonroof with the TVD?
YES, I would prefer a moonroof with the TVD
49.23%
No, I don't care/want a moonroof with the TVD
50.77%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

Who would order a moonroof with the Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD)?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-14, 10:04 PM
Badman Forever
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On the RC-F (2 door), no. But for the next generation IS-F or GS-F (4 door), probably yes.
Old 04-15-14, 05:11 AM
Furge
Rookie

Originally Posted by Joe Z
That's like saying it ain't a Lexus without "Fog Lights"...

After meeting with the CE several times.. I know understand why & how they make these packages..

~ Joe Z
Actually, where are the FOG lights on the F?!? The LED fog lights on the regular RC look awesome. I guess a $70,000 Lexus doesn't qualify to have them? Lame, very lame.
That's pure cost cutting / margin padding.
There is no performance detriment to not having those small fog lights.
You would NEVER see a German car without fogs, especially at this price point.

I don't really get it. I really want to buy the RC F, but then Lexus does small stupid things like this, and it leaves me

I guess you're not supposed to drive the RC F in fog?
Old 04-15-14, 04:33 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 104 Likes on 75 Posts

Originally Posted by dseag2
I'm sure Lexus' thinking is that someone who really wants a sports car would prefer the structural integrity of not having a moon roof. I don't think you can get one at all on a Porsche Cayman.
i dont think that has anything to do with price as OP, but rather performance too.... LFA doesnt have moon roof either :-)
Old 04-15-14, 04:44 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Furge
As a former Toyota manufacturing engineer based in Saitama, Japan
you know, Lexus currently has more options in their cars that they ever had. I am having hard time understanding someone who worked for Toyota being confused about not being able to order their car with a la carte option mix. This was never possible before.

What car do you own now?

p.s. This is not production decision in any case. It is marketing decision. It is TMS who picks what packages they want for their market. It is quite possible that for Europe or Japan, you could have TVD without carbon package, just like IS has RDS in Japanese market. TMS just does not want to pay for it.
Old 04-15-14, 09:31 PM
Furge
Rookie

Correct, it is TMS who decides the option packages, and that is plain wrong and not current with the times.

We live in an empowered world. I can customize my latte. Why can't I customize my Lexus? Porsche lets me add a $6000 audio system in their most basic car (soon to be a 4 cylinder powered car).

The fact that it was never possible before is irrelevant.
I would actually argue that Lexus is REDUCING the option choices. For instance, no leather on the F sport.
If you want a fully loaded IS 350 with the "sporty" F sport add ons and leather and rain sensing wipers and memory seats… you are out of luck.
HUH!?
Old 04-15-14, 09:52 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Received 139 Likes on 96 Posts

Correct, it is TMS who decides the option packages, and that is plain wrong and not current with the times.

We live in an empowered world. I can customize my latte. Why can't I customize my Lexus? Porsche lets me add a $6000 audio system in their most basic car (soon to be a 4 cylinder powered car).

The fact that it was never possible before is irrelevant.
I would actually argue that Lexus is REDUCING the option choices. For instance, no leather on the F sport.
If you want a fully loaded IS 350 with the "sporty" F sport add ons and leather and rain sensing wipers and memory seats… you are out of luck.
HUH!?
Japanese efficiency. Japan sells roughly 2.5-3x as many cars to the U.S. as Germans.
Old 04-22-14, 10:13 AM
MPLexus301
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 05RollaXRS
I would like to have a loaded RC-F without the carbon package, but a TVD as a stand alone option.
This. I would want the moonroof AND TVD, but don't really care for the carbon package at all.

I echo the same sentiments as everyone else in this thread - Lexus needs to open up and allow people who really care to customize their cars. This seems so basic - it's not like someone is asking for a yellow leather interior with raw carbon fiber accents - if it's going to be available in other parts of the world, it should at least be special order here.
Old 04-22-14, 01:15 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

HUH!?
So having F-Sport now is reducing the options, as supposed to not having F-Sport before... ok :-).
Old 04-22-14, 05:06 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Unfortunately I said No. As much as I love having a sunroof, I can understand why from lexus, Sunroof options often add anywhere from 50-100 lbs to a car depending on how big it is along with added interior materials. They can also often offset the weight distribution of the car. For example, the Z06 is 50/50 weight distribution and they never offer sunroofs for that weight offset and structural rigidity

For the people I forsee buying the RC-F, they are all gonna want sunroofs and not care care about anything else because its going to become a luxury coupe. For small amount of people who will actually buy the car to race.... will not want a sunroof
Old 04-22-14, 07:29 PM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
For the people I forsee buying the RC-F, they are all gonna want sunroofs and not care care about anything else because its going to become a luxury coupe. For small amount of people who will actually buy the car to race.... will not want a sunroof
Bad assumption. I don't plan to "race" or track the RC F, and do not want a sun roof. IMO it was a good choice not to put a sunroof in a carbon roof.
Old 04-22-14, 08:05 PM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by TimboIS
Bad assumption. I don't plan to "race" or track the RC F, and do not want a sun roof. IMO it was a good choice not to put a sunroof in a carbon roof.
well that assumption wouldn't really apply to you because you don't plan on racing. For the people that DO RACE, wont want a sunroof because a lot of tracks have restrictions concerning sun/moon roofs in certain classes. Most people delete them with inserts, weld them shut, or just buy cars with out sun/moonroofs. If you dont plan on racing then sunroof or not wouldn't really matter, its just another luxury option with 9 out of 10 people (with you being the exception) would opt for a sunroof.

I mean a lot of members here complain that the IS don't come with a motorized closing trunk, what makes you think they are not gonna want a sun/moon roof

Last edited by NYKnick101; 04-23-14 at 10:42 AM.
Old 04-23-14, 05:52 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

if I couldve gotten the the 3IS without a sunroof I wouldve. I rarely used it on my 2IS/3IS and I would rather have the reduced complexity, increased rigidity. Almost considered buying a rare moonroof deleted 2012 ISF on the CL classifieds a while back. If I got an RCF, it would be the carbon package.
Old 04-23-14, 07:15 AM
TimboIS
Liquid Bra Champion

Originally Posted by NYKnick101
well that assumption wouldn't really apply to you because you don't plan on racing. For the people that DO RACE, wont want a sunroof because a lot of tracks have restrictions concerning sun/moon roofs in certain classes. Most people delete them with inserts, weld them shut, or just buy cars with out sun/moonroofs. If you dont plan on racing then sunroof or not wouldn't really matter, its just another luxury option with 9 out of 10 (with you being the exception) would opt for a sunroof.

I mean a lot of members here complain that the IS don't come with a motorized closing trunk, what makes you think they are not gonna want a sun/moon roof
If you want luxury buy a GS. If you want sporty buy an RC. Simple!
Old 04-23-14, 10:46 AM
NYKnick101
Lexus Test Driver

^^true quite frankly, if the RC is ever sold bare bones with none of the crap that most of these other lexus cars come with, THEN I would buy it. Give me decent looking exterior, fast engine, a seat, a steering wheel and a radio then I would be happy. The rest, I don't want
Old 04-23-14, 09:12 PM
dseag2
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by spwolf
i dont think that has anything to do with price as OP, but rather performance too.... LFA doesnt have moon roof either :-)
Isn't that what I said? It has to do with structural integrity. I said nothing about price.

Quick Reply: Who would order a moonroof with the Torque Vectoring Differential (TVD)?