RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

??? Go Fast Mods - Suggestions ???

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-19, 09:09 PM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ??? Go Fast Mods - Suggestions ???

Hey all,

just picked up a 2017 RC 300 AWD F Sport with 23k miles on it!

Looking to see what I can do to make some power. However in looking through the build threads, I didn't see a lot of mods focused on power gains.

Any Suggestions?
Old 06-18-19, 06:12 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Nothing is going to give you crazy gains aside from the SC upgrade. With intake, headers and full exhaust plus tune you would gain ~120hp. I would start with intake and exhaust. If you want the sensation of power get a throttle modulator.
Old 06-18-19, 08:06 AM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
Nothing is going to give you crazy gains aside from the SC upgrade. With intake, headers and full exhaust plus tune you would gain ~120hp. I would start with intake and exhaust. If you want the sensation of power get a throttle modulator.
Wow,
I'm new to the import scene. You have to forgive me, my last ride was a 2015 GT... and all I had to do was bolt on a Vortech Supercharger for 5k to make well over 600whp.

Questions...
* What does a "Throttle modulator" do?
* Do you get the same gains on an Intake & Exhaust without a tune
* The only blower I am seeing for this thing is by RR. Racing. Is that my only option?

Last edited by Lexshark; 06-18-19 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Add to post
Old 06-18-19, 08:58 AM
Blze001
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexshark
Wow,
I'm new to the import scene. You have to forgive me, my last ride was a 2015 GT... and all I had to do was bolt on a Vortech Supercharger for 5k to make well over 600whp.

Questions...
* What does a "Throttle modulator" do?
* Do you get the same gains on an Intake & Exhaust without a tune
* The only blower I am seeing for this thing is by RR. Racing. Is that my only option?
Yeah, Mustangs are super numerous, cheap, and an extremely common car for modding. So the aftermarket scene is nuts for them.

* A throttle modulator basically reduces pedal input lag, so you get the move-fast sensations sooner and harder.
* Intake and exhaust mods might give you some improvement by themselves, but you need a tune to tell the engine "hey, you have more air and less restriction now, go harder"
* As far as I know, RR Racing are the only ones selling a kit. Only other option I can think of would be a custom turbo setup.
Old 06-18-19, 12:26 PM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

The following users liked this post:
Lexshark (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 08:20 AM
dxrRC350f
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default First Modifications

The RR Racing ECU tune transformed my car to be much more fun to drive. The revised throttle mapping completely changed the nature of the car. Even if it made a few less horsepower (which it doesn't) the ECU tune is worth it. Gas mileage is better and the transmission even seems to act differently. It doesn't shift faster or harder but I think it downshifts more aggressively (earlier).

Before the tune I installed an inexpensive eBay axle back exhaust (Rev9) that turned out to be great and an oil separator on the PCV line.

I also purchased the intake from RR.

Exhaust Before & After

Oil after 500 Mi
Lexshark (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 09:10 AM
captaincap
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

I would keep the stock air box as all these aftermarket intakes do is “confuse” the airflow sensor
Old 06-19-19, 09:55 AM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blze001
Yeah, Mustangs are super numerous, cheap, and an extremely common car for modding. So the aftermarket scene is nuts for them.

* A throttle modulator basically reduces pedal input lag, so you get the move-fast sensations sooner and harder.
* Intake and exhaust mods might give you some improvement by themselves, but you need a tune to tell the engine "hey, you have more air and less restriction now, go harder"
* As far as I know, RR Racing are the only ones selling a kit. Only other option I can think of would be a custom turbo setup.
Excellent info & informative...

I kinda figured you would need a tune after you made it breath better, but wasn't sure if maybe these ECU's were just more adaptable. I did an intake tune and exhaust on my GT before deciding to supercharging it. But you had to purchase a tuner and exhaust together or you would it was messup your Air/Fule ratio and lean out your motor.

When I force induced the GT I eventually ended up throwing so much power at it that I had to upgrade my entire fuel system, drive shaft, clutch, & breaks....
I really love how exquisitely sophisticated this machine is. However given the price per hp to mod this thing combined with the relatively low potential hp gains, I'm not so sure that I really want to do all that. Infact, I've already started looking at the RCF.

Nevertheless, for now... I'm thinking a good place to start would be a throttle mod, intake, exhaust and a tune.

*Do you know of any combo kits where it sells them together?
Old 06-19-19, 09:59 AM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by captaincap
I would keep the stock air box as all these aftermarket intakes do is “confuse” the airflow sensor
What about with a tune.
Old 06-19-19, 10:17 AM
captaincap
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Lexshark
What about with a tune.
With a tune your feeling more of exactly what it is tuning, cars come running a bit richer than most engine like so leaning the motor out to optimum fuel trim will increase hp as well as timing adjustments. Figure out cars prob run in the 14.0 ish A/F ratio leaning the car out to 13.0-13.2 Weill say will increase power. F/i cars need to eat due to all the air being pushed in them. So it’s opposite, you add fuel. I have found in most cases a factory air box with a drop in filter will yield the same if not more than most aftermarket intakes.

Its a catch 22 when intake manufactures say you need a tune to see true potential of an intake. Are you feeling the tune or the intake...
Old 06-19-19, 10:36 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

We can do headers, intake, exhaust, and tune!

Let us know and we can source it all for you.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-19-19, 10:55 AM
dxrRC350f
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

The factory airbox is where the airflow sensor is mounted and is actually pretty good, with a cool air source. It is important that the inside diameter of the pipe section holding the sensor does not increase more than a negligible amount as this would provide the ECU with an incorrect air quantity reading and throw off the mixture. The Stock intake between the airbox and throttle body is not bad but it does have a sound generator and a means to introduce warm crankcase gasses and oil mist into the intake stream. Ideally when under low load like on the highway you can run lean but this is not necessarily good for emissions and keeping the Cats up to temperature. Also the 350 motor is a hybrid direct/port engine so everything gets more complicated than it used to be

An ecu tune should do the same type of things that VW got into trouble for ! Performance and efficiency first everything else next.

All ECU's adapt within an allowable range. The goal of a tune is to expand the envelope where appropriate. Also the 350 Lexus engine in the RC seemed to act as if it were in a SUV or a large sedan. RR's tune has helped fix this plus the highway mileage went up !
Lexshark (06-19-19)
Old 06-19-19, 08:13 PM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Most likely - Both
Old 06-19-19, 08:19 PM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Meraki Autoworks
We can do headers, intake, exhaust, and tune!

Let us know and we can source it all for you.

-Josh
Hey Josh,

I've seen quite a few of your post and was debating on giving you a call. I'll give you a shout in the AM and talk about pricing.
Meraki Autoworks (06-20-19)
Old 06-19-19, 10:23 PM
Lexshark
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by dxrRC350f
The RR Racing ECU tune transformed my car to be much more fun to drive. The revised throttle mapping completely changed the nature of the car. Even if it made a few less horsepower (which it doesn't) the ECU tune is worth it. Gas mileage is better and the transmission even seems to act differently. It doesn't shift faster or harder but I think it downshifts more aggressively (earlier).

Before the tune I installed an inexpensive eBay axle back exhaust (Rev9) that turned out to be great and an oil separator on the PCV line.

I also purchased the intake from RR.

Exhaust Before & After
https://youtu.be/fbAHPZ75lcI

Oil after 500 Mi
Thanks for the info brother...
I've been listening to exhaust vids since I got this thing and I must admit this sounds as good as any.
How much louder is it? I would love an in car vid if you got one!

Quick Reply: ??? Go Fast Mods - Suggestions ???