RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

USB Ports

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-19, 11:05 PM
KJFS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Question USB Ports

Since the RC350 has two USB ports, I assumed that I could put two different USB drives (or sticks) in each one and be able to play music from either one. BUT it appears that the Audio system will only recognize one at at time, but not if both are plugged in at the same time.
If I remove either one, it will play it, but plugging in both, only one is recognized and only one will play. Is this correct - only one drive will be possible to be played even if both are plugged in? (I don't even see a "USB 1, USB 2" on the media settings.)
Maybe two USB ports are there so one can be used for charging, while the other is used for music?
Thanks in advance.....

Last edited by KJFS; 04-08-19 at 11:09 PM.
Old 04-09-19, 08:40 AM
tfischer

Received 189 Likes on 143 Posts

I do not think you are correct. I have had an iPod with audiobooks on it and a USB stick with music on it plugged into the car, and could access either one, as well as the music and podcasts on my iPhone via bluetooth. If I get a chance I'll try that again, since I did that on a long road trip some time ago, but I don't recall any problem. To be sure, you should name your devices differently so that you can see what the system is reading from.
Old 04-09-19, 01:49 PM
Arfboy
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by KJFS
Since the RC350 has two USB ports, I assumed that I could put two different USB drives (or sticks) in each one and be able to play music from either one. BUT it appears that the Audio system will only recognize one at at time, but not if both are plugged in at the same time.
If I remove either one, it will play it, but plugging in both, only one is recognized and only one will play. Is this correct - only one drive will be possible to be played even if both are plugged in? (I don't even see a "USB 1, USB 2" on the media settings.)
Maybe two USB ports are there so one can be used for charging, while the other is used for music?
Thanks in advance.....
Based on my own experience, the car will only recognize one USB flash drive at a time, despite there being two USB ports. An iPod/iPhone concurrently in the second USB port should be fine because it isn’t recognized as “USB”; rather, it’ll be detected as an iPod/iPhone
Old 04-09-19, 08:39 PM
KJFS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Thumbs up Mmmmmm

^^^^^

Thanks guys - yeah that would make sense. I'll try my iPhone in one port and the flash drive in the other.
Old 04-09-19, 11:41 PM
2019RC350
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is there a SD card port where you can insert a SD card to play music?
Old 04-11-19, 08:16 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by 2019RC350
Is there a SD card port where you can insert a SD card to play music?
Not for audio input but you could buy a SD USB adapter which should work fine. Something like this:
https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Portable-Adapter-Windows/dp/B0779V61XB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=sd+card+reader&qid=1554995336&s=gateway&sr=8-8 https://www.amazon.com/UGREEN-Reader-Portable-Adapter-Windows/dp/B0779V61XB/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=sd+card+reader&qid=1554995336&s=gateway&sr=8-8

Originally Posted by Arfboy
Based on my own experience, the car will only recognize one USB flash drive at a time, despite there being two USB ports. An iPod/iPhone concurrently in the second USB port should be fine because it isn’t recognized as “USB”; rather, it’ll be detected as an iPod/iPhone
This is my experience as well. One at a time but its possible to switch between Bluetooth and USB through the steering wheel controls and audio menus. One thing I noticed is that if I am using an untethered Bluetooth connection from my iPhone and then decide to plug it into the dual function USB port I lose audio if an app playing music was already open. To correct this, I just have to close and reopen any one app (eg: Spotify) providing the audio and everything works again. When I first noticed this, I was thinking something was wrong and tried unplugging and re-plugging the device in or switching between Bluetooth and the USB car audio sources but turned out to be much easier than that.
Old 04-11-19, 10:49 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

I have this same problem. If i have two iphones plugged in it can only take music from one. The other wont show up.