RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Driver door and Fuel door stuck locked

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-19, 09:37 AM
KP4
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Driver door and Fuel door stuck locked

Whats up guys, new user here. I've had my 2015 RC 350 since Sept '15 and last year it started having problems with the door locks, only the passenger side would unlock but the driver side and the fuel door would remain locked. When I took it to the local dealership they said they needed to replace the passenger side, which I thought was odd bc that side seemed to be working so I requested all of them be replace but they only did the passenger side. So now two weeks ago it acts up again with the exact same issue with the driver door and fuel door and they tell me its out of pocket bc the warranty expired. I then reminded my service rep the video I took of when it was under warranty with the same issue with my written request all of it be fixed and he called me back after 6 hours to said Lexus was going to cover it. All is well Right? ....so I thought...now the doors are working fine but the fuel door keeps getting stuck. I checked the owners manual and learned about the release cord in the trunk but now thats not even working. My question is, do you guys think this should this one have been replace when I mentioned it to them two weeks ago? Or am I just being cheap bc all my money is going towards my damn wedding lmao
Old 03-26-19, 10:16 AM
scooky
Pit Crew

Received 49 Likes on 37 Posts

Reminds me of the old story about someone getting a leg amputated and got the wrong one done. Similarly people writing "Other Leg" with an arrow on their good leg, just as a precaution.

Nothing useful to add though. Sorry.
The following users liked this post:
KP4 (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 10:16 AM
HewittTech
Rookie

Received 24 Likes on 14 Posts

There was a service bulletin about the locks getting stuck which is likely why they covered the doors. The lock mechanism would actually get stuck not letting you unlock or lock them sometimes. As far as the gas door it has nothing to do with that so you will likely need to take care of that one yourself. The mechanism is probably just bound and needs to be cleaned and lubricated to get it back working correctly. You can probably just pull the trunk liner down on that side to get to it all. I didn't know there was a manual release but that would make sense and is good to know.
KP4 (03-26-19)
Old 03-26-19, 10:30 AM
KP4
Driver School Candidate

Oh ok, I thought they were linked since you cant open the gas door unless the doors are unlocked. I'll check it out tonight and see what I can find
Old 03-27-19, 07:55 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by KP4
Oh ok, I thought they were linked since you cant open the gas door unless the doors are unlocked. I'll check it out tonight and see what I can find
Not sure how much this helps but there is a small black extension just inside the fuel area that pops out when the doors are locked. It keeps me from being able to shut the door after refueling because I always lock my doors while at the pumps. It would keep you from opening it if it is locked. I am now in the habit of either pushing it in with my finger before I close the fuel door or I unlock the car before I try to close it. Not sure if this in anyway relates to your problem but FYI.
Old 03-27-19, 07:59 AM
tfischer

Received 191 Likes on 144 Posts

KP4: The fuel door is locked and cannot be opened when the driver's door is locked, so these problems are probably related. Actually, the fuel door seems to be the only item in your description that is behaving correctly: it does not want to open because the driver's door is locked. I would concentrate on getting the driver's door lock fixed.
You don't mention whether you tried the metal key (hidden in your fob) to unlock the door with the mechanical lock hidden in the driver's door handle (pull out the handle and you can see the key slot when you look up from the back or the bottom). Not convenient, but I have not had to use mine in 4.5 years. Seeing if this works would be helpful information.
KP4 (04-04-19)
Old 04-04-19, 12:23 PM
KP4
Driver School Candidate

Just got the car back from the dealership today and they said its not related to the driver door and that the fuel door has its own actuator and that has gone bad and needs to be replaced and is $520 for parts and labor since the car is out of warranty
Old 04-04-19, 12:28 PM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by KP4
Just got the car back from the dealership today and they said its not related to the driver door and that the fuel door has its own actuator and that has gone bad and needs to be replaced and is $520 for parts and labor since the car is out of warranty
Dealership ----> <---- You
KP4 (04-04-19)