Wheel well gap!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 05:52 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Received 3,544 Likes on 1,734 Posts
Default Wheel well gap!!

Hi everyone,

As you know, I have placed a "no string attached" order on a 2019 RC350 F Sport and was very excited to have it arrive in May of this year. Today, while visiting the city in which my dealer is located (4h from home), I drove by the lot and saw they had a 2019 RC in stock and was sooooooo disappointed to see that the infamous gap in the front wheel well is still there in the 2019 MMC. Doesn't anyone at Lexus design team realize that this makes the front of the vehicle look way off, almost like an AMC Eagle from the 1980's. What were they thinking? Why couldn't have they made the front a bit lower and give a more aggressive stance without making the car look like it is ready for off roading?!?!

Is it just me who sees this horrific gap?!?!

I guess I will be sticking with my 2017 Lexus IS for now until I see what they have in store for the FMC of the IS next year or, go back to Acura or even migrate to Audi or BMW.

This really bummed me out
Old 03-17-19, 10:40 PM
SpeedRcr
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by wthrman2
Hi everyone,

As you know, I have placed a "no string attached" order on a 2019 RC350 F Sport and was very excited to have it arrive in May of this year. Today, while visiting the city in which my dealer is located (4h from home), I drove by the lot and saw they had a 2019 RC in stock and was sooooooo disappointed to see that the infamous gap in the front wheel well is still there in the 2019 MMC. Doesn't anyone at Lexus design team realize that this makes the front of the vehicle look way off, almost like an AMC Eagle from the 1980's. What were they thinking? Why couldn't have they made the front a bit lower and give a more aggressive stance without making the car look like it is ready for off roading?!?!

I guess I will be sticking with my 2017 Lexus IS for now until I see what they have in store for the FMC of the IS next year or, go back to Acura or even migrate to Audi or BMW.

It's really not a big deal to eliminate the gap. There are plenty of third-party springs that do a great job and don't compromise much ride comfort. I installed Tanabe on my All Wheel Drive (which has an even bigger front gap, you can fist it, with big hands). Here is the after -- the springs settled a bit more, but looks clean IMO.

The following users liked this post:
wthrman2 (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 05:45 AM
mpugeda
Rookie

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

RSR Down Springs is another great option.
wthrman2 (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 07:00 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by mpugeda
RSR Down Springs is another great option.
I have a set for sale too!!! It is unsightly but also an easy fix.
Old 03-18-19, 10:33 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

Thats why we customize the cars, to make it to our liking.

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
wthrman2 (03-18-19)
Old 03-18-19, 11:28 AM
Theas1an
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price? And pics installed please, I have a set in my Amazon cart but I'm hesitant lol
Old 03-18-19, 11:40 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Originally Posted by Theas1an
Price? And pics installed please, I have a set in my Amazon cart but I'm hesitant lol
I am trying to sell for $200 + shipping. They were used for <10k miles.

Old 03-18-19, 05:37 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Hi everyone, thanks for all the feedback. I appreciate the insight and for the record, mine is also an AWD (that is the only option available in Canada) so the gap is huge!!

A few points:

1. I understand that one can customize a vehicle but this is not like not enjoying the wheel pattern, but about the stance of the vehicle which is just horrendous and one should not have to spend money to correct something that anyone at the design studio could spot in 2 seconds.

2. I lease my vehicles and keep them for 2 years so I am not going to spend money to fix a car of that price

So I guess I will either keep my IS350 F sport or switch brand....I am not sure why the RC looks soooo jacked up when the IS has a more aggressive stance and yet it is a sedan?!?
Old 03-19-19, 12:40 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

You bought an AWD and Lexus anticipated that those with AWD would probably need more clearance. The RWD has a normal height. This is not McLaren where there would be very little wheel gap.
Old 03-19-19, 05:58 PM
wthrman2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ZAM
You bought an AWD and Lexus anticipated that those with AWD would probably need more clearance. The RWD has a normal height. This is not McLaren where there would be very little wheel gap.
I respect your view point but keep in mind that that I have an IS350 AWD and the gap is no where near as atrocious as this....Have you seen the AWD in person? The car looks like the front is 'jacked up'. In any event, there is little I can do now but pass on it, I wonder if its a result of the plateform being a mish-mash of 3 cars put together that makes it look this F'ed up in the front? It is sad to see a design so well executed and yet miss something that obvious
Old 03-19-19, 08:55 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

I respect your view point but keep in mind that that I have an IS350 AWD and the gap is no where near as atrocious as this....Have you seen the AWD in person? The car looks like the front is 'jacked up'. In any event, there is little I can do now but pass on it, I wonder if its a result of the plateform being a mish-mash of 3 cars put together that makes it look this F'ed up in the front? It is sad to see a design so well executed and yet miss something that obvious
Wasn't aware that there was a difference in height between the AWD IS and RC. Yup, the RC AWD does look a little odd in person.
Old 03-20-19, 07:02 PM
dschaefer
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jonmonkey
I am trying to sell for $200 + shipping. They were used for <10k miles.

Love the look of your car with the black components.
Old 03-20-19, 07:14 PM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Originally Posted by dschaefer
Love the look of your car with the black components.
Thanks...that is the same spoiler from the other thread...it is the same as the factory one. Just comes unpainted.
Old 03-21-19, 12:47 PM
gkcmilner
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

Hi everyone,

I felt, and still feel the same way as you. FWD and AWD sit way to high and it really hurts the look/effect of this sporty coupe. I was at the dealership today and they had a 2019 RWD F Sport on the showroom and this front gap immediately stood out to me.

I did a 3 year lease and it was still a tough decision, but I went ahead and had the dealership install the F Sport lowering springs on my car before I took delivery. I worked out a deal for $900 parts and labor. You can probably get cheaper at 3rd party but I wanted Lexus parts and a Lexus dealership to do it since it's a lease. In my case it works out to $25 per month additional (I paid for it up front).
Old 03-21-19, 05:40 PM
WayneLaR1
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I'm in the same boat as my fellow Canadian, Wthrman2. Can't stand the front wheel gap on my 2015 RC350 F Sport AWD. What springs would you guys recommend for a modest drop for just the front end? The rear wheel gap doesn't bother so I;m happy to leave the rear alone. Basically, something to eliminate some of the front gap without a crazy drop and without affecting ride quality too much? Any opinions welcome.

Quick Reply: Wheel well gap!!