RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

RC350 Tune (RR Racing)

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-19, 07:39 PM
EddieLe76
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My questions with the tune is how does the tune actually install (I understand it plugs into obd2)? Can u revert to stock? And back and forth (warranty concerns)? I’ve searched and haven’t found much other than people pegging 7200 rpms. Just looking for more in depth actual insight on UI.
Old 02-15-19, 07:08 AM
Pittsy
Racer

Received 784 Likes on 401 Posts

Originally Posted by EddieLe76
My questions with the tune is how does the tune actually install (I understand it plugs into obd2)? Can u revert to stock? And back and forth (warranty concerns)? I’ve searched and haven’t found much other than people pegging 7200 rpms. Just looking for more in depth actual insight on UI.
Yeah RR has a handheld device which plugs into the OBD2 and can flip between tunes pretty easily. They could or someone with more knowledge than me could provide further details
Old 02-15-19, 09:24 AM
louczar
Driver

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
Still not sure if the numbers he claims are real, which i highly doubt are real in the first place.
+1 back in my sportbike days, there was always at least one person who would boast outlandish 1/4 mile run times after their tune (or carb kit) and new exhaust. They never showed up to the drag strip for a meet up NOR did they have any video or drap slips to verify their claims. That being said....

The power to weight ratio would be way off for the claim....unless he ripped a bunch of weight out of the car.

The following users liked this post:
Chaos236 (08-24-19)
Old 02-18-19, 09:11 AM
RC350s
Driver

Received 34 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by louczar
+1 back in my sportbike days, there was always at least one person who would boast outlandish 1/4 mile run times after their tune (or carb kit) and new exhaust. They never showed up to the drag strip for a meet up NOR did they have any video or drap slips to verify their claims. That being said....

The power to weight ratio would be way off for the claim....unless he ripped a bunch of weight out of the car.
Yeah, he is an obvious troll, so lets get back to topic....
Sounds like most really like the tune, my only reservation comes from some people reporting the shift delay/tc slippage (causing the brief bouncing off the rev limiter in auto mode) when the 7200rpm rev limit is enabled on the 8 speed trans. Is there any way to get rid of that?
Chaos236 (08-24-19)
Old 02-28-19, 12:47 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by RC350s
Sounds like most really like the tune, my only reservation comes from some people reporting the shift delay/tc slippage (causing the brief bouncing off the rev limiter in auto mode) when the 7200rpm rev limit is enabled on the 8 speed trans. Is there any way to get rid of that?
Im interested in this. It's not a huge deal to me if theres any shift delay or tc slippage but Im sure its pretty harmful after a while. Can someone from RR comment on this whether or not a fix is coming? Or was this an isolated event? Worst case scenario just dont use the extended rev limit.
Old 03-01-19, 10:03 AM
mexicanzer
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an is300awd with the tune. Different car but same engine.
Aftera few emails back and forth with Simon he sent me a file with an aggressive high rpm tune that will bounce off the 7200 limiter and not shift in automatic, a less aggressive one that sometimes shifts in automatic at 7200 and sometimes bounces off the limiter once or twice and a third tune with stock rev limit that shifts basically just like stock in automatic and bounces off the 6600rpm limiter with manual and TC off.
I've only really used the stock shifting one but it's nice to have options.
Old 03-01-19, 12:06 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by dychang174
how much did you pay for the headers and you think it's worth it? also did the exhaust note go much higher and does it drone?
I bought the headers for retail from RR. The headers are worth it more than any other performance upgrade (supercharger is bad ***, but super spendy). It will make your exhaust quite a bit louder and add some rasp (depending on exhaust).
Old 03-02-19, 10:24 AM
Meraki Autoworks
Your #1 Lexus Vendor

Received 668 Likes on 590 Posts

You guys can get PPE headers through us and any RR Racing product!

-Josh

Your #1 Dealer for Aftermarket Performance Products
Orange County, CA
Email: info@merakiautoworks.com
Text/Call: 213 394 2886
Old 06-26-19, 07:39 AM
drutyper
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 20 Posts

This is interesting. I'm planning on going to RR racing this Friday to get my 2017 RC 300 AWD tuned. Didn't know we had 3 options for the tune. I won't have the handheld to switch back and forth though since 2017 models are a bit trickier. Can't wait to experience the difference and this will be my first mod on this car. Will it realistically make the 300 feel like a 350 or better?
Old 06-26-19, 07:49 AM
jonmonkey
Advanced

Received 152 Likes on 128 Posts

Originally Posted by drutyper
This is interesting. I'm planning on going to RR racing this Friday to get my 2017 RC 300 AWD tuned. Didn't know we had 3 options for the tune. I won't have the handheld to switch back and forth though since 2017 models are a bit trickier. Can't wait to experience the difference and this will be my first mod on this car. Will it realistically make the 300 feel like a 350 or better?
The tune alone will make a difference but to get the full extent exhaust and headers are needed. Here is a chart from RR showing the potential gains.

Old 06-27-19, 05:48 AM
dxrRC350f
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

see my post under the "??? Go Fast Mods - Suggestions ???" thread.

The engine in the stock 350 acts as if it is in an SUV or a large sedan. The throttle movement seems as if there is a third party involved deciding if you really meant what your right foot just did. I can fully understand the throttle being slowed down in response to traction control needs but this car acted as if it was on snow all the time.

I can tell you that the tune has changed the nature of the car and made it much more fun to drive even if there were absolutely no power gain, the behavior of the engine in town is as it should be.

I read that the new 350 has a few more HP so obviously the engine has some more in it. Maybe RR will get hold of the new software and improve their tune further?

Here is a good blog about the ECU from a company that is not even selling a tune.
https://www.ovtuned.com/blogs/news/o...libration-info
drutyper (06-27-19)
Old 06-27-19, 02:41 PM
captaincap
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

The software RR uses is readily avail. Personally I would by the tuner and have a custom tune done. Every car is diff. Logs can only tell so much. The tuner is approx 1000-1200 dollar plus a tune. Like any other car you tune you pay for what you get. I would be curious to see what another tuner (lance from toyomoto) or even jack at hp logic could do
Old 06-27-19, 02:47 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by captaincap
The software RR uses is readily avail. Personally I would by the tuner and have a custom tune done. Every car is diff. Logs can only tell so much. The tuner is approx 1000-1200 dollar plus a tune. Like any other car you tune you pay for what you get. I would be curious to see what another tuner (lance from toyomoto) or even jack at hp logic could do
There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that you could squeeze more power out of the 2GR. That being said, RR’s is the best bang for the buck, as well as reliability! Sure you can go squeezing 90-100 more HP over stock, but this isn’t a subaru. RR’s tune is track proven and has hundreds of thousands of miles driven with their tune and no failures. If you were pushing insane numbers which I do think this motor is capable of, I don’t think you’d be hitting over 200k miles on this motor. RR’s tune is reliable, easy to use, and most importantly cheap. I’d vouch for their brand any day.
Old 06-27-19, 02:59 PM
captaincap
Driver

Received 37 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by Pittsy
There is not a shred of doubt in my mind that you could squeeze more power out of the 2GR. That being said, RR’s is the best bang for the buck, as well as reliability! Sure you can go squeezing 90-100 more HP over stock, but this isn’t a subaru. RR’s tune is track proven and has hundreds of thousands of miles driven with their tune and no failures. If you were pushing insane numbers which I do think this motor is capable of, I don’t think you’d be hitting over 200k miles on this motor. RR’s tune is reliable, easy to use, and most importantly cheap. I’d vouch for their brand any day.
I’m curious to see what the air fuel is with the rr tune does anyone have a full dyno?
Old 06-27-19, 03:06 PM
Pittsy
Racer

Originally Posted by captaincap
I’m curious to see what the air fuel is with the rr tune does anyone have a full dyno?

Thats a video of an IS350. same power train. Doesn’t have the graphs though, maybe Rafi can comment on the A/F. He might honestly have a video and graph, but i couldn’t find one online.

Quick Reply: RC350 Tune (RR Racing)