RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

PPE Engineering Header sound and pitch

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-18, 05:38 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by rcJten
You could always buy the Tanabe axle back system, and keep or sell the ARK axleback. The Tanabe system still needs a small amount of modification to work, as they come with a reduction at the flange to connect to the smaller factory diameter piping. It cost me $150 to have the flanges cut off and 3.5" piped flange welded on.
That sounds awesome. A+ setup in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up. I do like your suggestion about getting high performance mufflers welded in, I just need to find a reputable shop and have them steer me in the right direction with what my goals are. It seems like either option is going to require some cutting and welding, if that is the case I think I won't mind having the ARK modded to fit my needs. Either way I'm really liking that you were able to keep the deeper pitch of the car.

Have you also invested in the RR-Racing tune for your setup? Seems to be a great addition for the car, with or without the header.

Thanks again for going through the trouble of getting a clip posted, it definitely puts a bit of a faith back into the installation of headers for my RC.

Last edited by fizik; 08-24-18 at 05:41 PM.
Old 08-24-18, 05:41 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Megafast13
The Ark full kit will make it much faster. It is really loud though. Vibrates the interior a bit.
Yea I do not doubt the decibel level will greatly increase if I keep the original ARK exhaust paired with PPE. After scouring the internet and checking whatever videos available, that seemed to be the case with that exhaust/header setup on our motors. I just can't deal with that loud drone and cabin vibration anymore, 10 years ago yea that would definitely would have been right up my alley.
Old 08-24-18, 06:16 PM
RRRacing
Sponsor

Received 1,362 Likes on 621 Posts

In terms of horsepower, it adds a noticeable amount of pull to acceleration. But for me, the PPE+ARK combo was way too loud. Around 2-3k rpm was obnoxious, causing everything inside the car to rattle. I now have PPE header, ARK up to the axle back connection, then tanabe medalion mufflers (glad I kept them after getting the ARK!). With the current setup the exhaust note is deep, with a seriously mean growl at WOT, almost perfect (I'd prefer a touch quieter as the car is my daily).
we have not found this to be the case at all, *provided* that you have the ark grip exhaust WITH cats.

Rafi

Email: Contact@RR-Racing.com
Phone: 484-756-1777
Facebook : Youtube

Old 08-25-18, 11:57 AM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by fizik
That sounds awesome. A+ setup in my opinion.

Thanks for the heads up. I do like your suggestion about getting high performance mufflers welded in, I just need to find a reputable shop and have them steer me in the right direction with what my goals are. It seems like either option is going to require some cutting and welding, if that is the case I think I won't mind having the ARK modded to fit my needs. Either way I'm really liking that you were able to keep the deeper pitch of the car.

Have you also invested in the RR-Racing tune for your setup? Seems to be a great addition for the car, with or without the header.

Thanks again for going through the trouble of getting a clip posted, it definitely puts a bit of a faith back into the installation of headers for my RC.
Yes, I have the RR tune and I highly recommend it.
Old 08-25-18, 02:40 PM
rcJten
Lead Lap

Received 73 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by RRRacing

we have not found this to be the case at all, *provided* that you have the ark grip exhaust WITH cats.

Rafi

My ARK exhaust has high flow cats, if that's what you are referring to. Does ARK have a cat-less version for RC350?

Don't get me wrong, the ARK is a great exhaust (I bought all these items through RR), but once I added the headers it was subjectively too loud.
Old 08-26-18, 03:54 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Yes, I have the RR tune and I highly recommend it.
I've been eyeing the tune for a while but I've been telling myself to get it when I get the headers so I can get everything done at once. I think there is only one tune for the car so regardless if I have headers installed or not it would not matter at what point I purchase the tuning device because even if I tune it now, then adding headers at a later point will not require me to change/update the tune.
Old 09-19-18, 03:56 PM
chinox22x
Intermediate

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

In terms of horsepower, it adds a noticeable amount of pull to acceleration. But for me, the PPE+ARK combo was way too loud. Around 2-3k rpm was obnoxious, causing everything inside the car to rattle. I now have PPE header, ARK up to the axle back connection, then tanabe medalion mufflers (glad I kept them after getting the ARK!). With the current setup the exhaust note is deep, with a seriously mean growl at WOT, almost perfect (I'd prefer a touch quieter as the car is my daily).
any sound clips of this yet? I also have ppe and ark exhaust and the drone is way too loud for my liking. I’m trying to figure out if I should do what you did then sell the ark axle back or have a shop cut the axle back and install resonators.
Old 09-19-18, 06:37 PM
fizik
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by chinox22x

any sound clips of this yet? I also have ppe and ark exhaust and the drone is way too loud for my liking. I’m trying to figure out if I should do what you did then sell the ark axle back or have a shop cut the axle back and install resonators.
12th post.
The following users liked this post:
chinox22x (09-20-18)