RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

How To Tint Your Taillights for $10

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-17, 04:02 PM
aaronsRC
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Used VHT Nightshade to Tint Taillights

Hey guys! This is my first post here so I thought I'd share my experience with tinting my taillights using VHT nightshade. This was my second experience using the product, as I previously tinted my 2016 Lexus IS taillights with VHT as well. Last time I removed the taillights and sprayed them separately, but this time I tried to do it by masking off surrounding areas and keeping the lights on instead. I also masked off the white parts of the light to keep them that colour and only tinted the red. If you guys have any questions or comments about the process/final result pease let me know!

FOLLOW ME ON INSTAGRAM!! @notRCF (i will follow back)

**I know it doesn't look much darker than stock, but I didn't want to put too many layers on and I was working in the sun so I couldn't see how dark or light the taillights were**

Last edited by aaronsRC; 04-25-17 at 04:03 PM. Reason: forgot to add my Instagram!
Old 04-26-17, 05:45 AM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Looks pretty good! How long does it last from your previous experience? and does it attract dirt? or does it stay pretty smooth? I have used something like this on my old car and it attracted lots of dirt, sorta like plasti dip.
Old 04-26-17, 06:31 AM
aaronsRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by forcaport7
Looks pretty good! How long does it last from your previous experience? and does it attract dirt? or does it stay pretty smooth? I have used something like this on my old car and it attracted lots of dirt, sorta like plasti dip.
Thank you! I had it on my previous car for 6 months and it lasted through the Canadian winter just fine. It stays very smooth and glossy if applied correctly and even if it does get dirty it easily comes off with a quick wash.
Old 04-29-17, 05:38 AM
and3re
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Looks good man. Where in Canada are you from.

Not many Canadians in here.
Old 04-29-17, 08:35 AM
aaronsRC
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by and3re
Looks good man. Where in Canada are you from.

Not many Canadians in here.
I'm from the GTA (Greater Toronto Area), hbu? Are you from Canada as well?
Old 04-29-17, 08:43 AM
and3re
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

Mississauga
Old 06-10-17, 02:49 PM
aaronsRC
Driver School Candidate

Smile How To Tint Your Taillights for $10

Hey guys! I recently tinted the taillights on my Lexus RC350, and I thought I'd share the process with you guys through a quick Youtube video I created. The process is extremely simple and I've done it before on my Lexus IS (hence my reason to post it here).

Let me know what you guys think of the video (it's my first video) and please drop a like & subscribe if you enjoyed it!

LINK:
Old 06-11-17, 12:55 AM
Tvue83
Driver School Candidate

that turned out great. awesome work!
The following users liked this post:
aaronsRC (06-14-17)
Old 06-11-17, 05:40 PM
SwiftIS
Driver

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Why spray tint and not taillight tint film? With film, it's faster to apply, even tint look, glossier and reversible. You'd spend max $15 for the tint if you do it yourself as well.
Old 06-11-17, 08:27 PM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SwiftIS
Why spray tint and not taillight tint film? With film, it's faster to apply, even tint look, glossier and reversible. You'd spend max $15 for the tint if you do it yourself as well.
I've looked into tinting with film but there are certain tail light ridges in the 14-16 MY that make it near impossible to have a clean application. I personally wouldn't spray either because of how unfriendly the reverse process is if get knocked for it.

From the looks of it, OP did a great job though. Very subtle and shouldn't have any trouble with the cops.
aaronsRC (06-14-17)
Old 06-12-17, 12:48 PM
Magellan
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by anthonys2r
From the looks of it, OP did a great job though. Very subtle and shouldn't have any trouble with the cops.
Perhaps it’s not the cops the OP should be worried about. If he’s ever rear-ended (especially during the day) both insurance companies may deny liability if the tail lights no longer meet legal requirements.
aaronsRC (06-14-17)
Old 06-12-17, 12:51 PM
600rr
Pole Position

Received 37 Likes on 31 Posts

Not too bad.
I wouldn't go any darker than that with tints or film.
You'll definitely end up with a ticket. Or worse, your modified tail lights will go against you in an event you get rear ended.
The other driver will simply say they can't see your taillights because it is too dark. You end up being at fault AND slapped with a ticket. Happened to my cousin.
aaronsRC (06-14-17)
Old 06-12-17, 06:05 PM
tea
Lexus Test Driver

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

^i agree. the OP's taillights aren't that dark, but i've seen soooo many that plastidip their taillights to look like crap and lose all functionality. don't get why
aaronsRC (06-14-17)
Old 06-13-17, 09:40 AM
MatrixPC
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Isn't it faster and "safer" just to remove the light assembly from the car and paint it instead of "wrap" the car in plastic like that?
Old 06-14-17, 04:23 AM
corradoMR2
The pursuit of F

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronsRC
Hey guys! I recently tinted the taillights on my Lexus RC350, and I thought I'd share the process with you guys through a quick Youtube video I created. The process is extremely simple and I've done it before on my Lexus IS (hence my reason to post it here).

Let me know what you guys think of the video (it's my first video) and please drop a like & subscribe if you enjoyed it!

I added the plastic film on my taillights as it's the right shade color to my eyes which is why I always shyed away from VHT (appeared too dark) and plasti-dip which creates a dull finish. With the wrap, I ended up just wrapping the rear lights' faces (on both IS + RCF) without doing the sides - not ideal.

Other videos of VHT users have resulted in a look that is too dark to my eyes but your video is making me rethink to buy the VHT Nightshades. What you got is the perfect shade.

Is the finish smooth and shiny? Hard to tell from the video. Thanks for the nice video and contribution.
aaronsRC (06-14-17)

Quick Reply: How To Tint Your Taillights for $10