RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

3M Reflective Red Brake Caliper Vinyl Wrap

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-16, 08:00 AM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by bsheets
Looks good, I just placed an order. Is there a video on how to install it ?
Just ordered mine too....feel like this is way better than painting on a 50k car. please post pics once done!
Old 04-27-16, 07:43 PM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I'd like to stress the point of taking your time. The first time installing I spent 30 minutes on the front and it looked horrible so i removed it and gave up. Then considered getting them powder coated, but didn't know what to do with all the remaining reflective tape. I started thinking of making it in sections. I wanted to show pictures of my progress because I thought it might help those out there wanting to give it a try. Plan it out, take your time, and dont give up. I'm sure you'll have similar or even better results than I did.
Old 04-27-16, 07:47 PM
lexual_rc

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywuzhere
I'd like to stress the point of taking your time. The first time installing I spent 30 minutes on the front and it looked horrible so i removed it and gave up. Then considered getting them powder coated, but didn't know what to do with all the remaining reflective tape. I started thinking of making it in sections. I wanted to show pictures of my progress because I thought it might help those out there wanting to give it a try. Plan it out, take your time, and dont give up. I'm sure you'll have similar or even better results than I did.
I'm doing it on Saturday but will not do the cut pieces like you. I want to use only a single piece and yes I will take my time. Thanks for the tips! I also ordered more than I needed and the logo vinyls. :P
Old 04-28-16, 08:37 AM
ALtin107
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This actually looks pretty nice. Please post pics as I may be interested if it turns out well.
Old 05-03-16, 11:22 PM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

I still had quite a bit of reflective tape left over so I decided to use some on my trunk emblem

(My car is a dirty haha)

I first purchased this red carbon fiber trunk emblem insert here: http://www.ebay.com/itm/15-Lexus-RC-...5WlX~p&vxp=mtr

I didn't like the dark red look of the original decal insert I bought, so I installed some left over reflective tape on top of the decal.

Last edited by jaywuzhere; 05-03-16 at 11:33 PM.
Old 05-19-16, 10:32 PM
alanboo
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hey! I was just going to see how your 3M brake calipers are holding up? I know a lot of people are always saying that it will get too hot for the vinyl.. I've contacted a couple places as well and they warned me to not do it.. But I think it looks awesome and really want to get it done!

I decided to try and some reflective vinyl to my calipers today. I first tried to wrap the entire caliper from a single sheet, but found it impossible and temporarily gave up. If broken down to 2 (or more) sections, the job becomes a lot easier. All I did was spray the caliper with brake cleaner and wipe, isoprohyl alcohol and wipe, and then begin the wrapping. You will need a heat gun (~180 F) or a hair dryer I hear works as well. Once the vinyl was finished, I added the lexus decal and then added a clear coat of VHT high temp

These are my results:

Its not perfect, but I'm happy with the results. Hope this helps someone out there since I only saw a tutorial of hope to wrap the rear calipers (which I hear is a lot easier)
Old 05-19-16, 11:01 PM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

This is not traditional vinyl that you would install to the external body. This feels more like aluminum foil with a real "tacky" adhesive. I wash my car every week and so far so good!
Old 05-20-16, 01:00 PM
shadow1118
Intermediate

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

how do you think it will hold up with the heat?
Old 05-20-16, 07:33 PM
Radical350
Lexus Test Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

This is a nice touch! Good job OP.
Thanks for sharing.
Old 05-20-16, 08:14 PM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I still have plans to do this but I highly suggest you buy more than you need or at least practice with some other wrap. I have left over wrap from another project and was experimenting different ways to apply it to get a feel with different heat ranges and how it affects the vinyl as it stretches around compound curves on the caliper.
Old 05-21-16, 07:59 AM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

Originally Posted by Radical350
This is a nice touch! Good job OP.
Thanks for sharing.
Thanks Radical350

Originally Posted by shadow1118
how do you think it will hold up with the heat?
So far the reflective tape still looks great
Old 10-20-16, 08:10 PM
sirdimarco
Pole Position

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks Radical350

So far the reflective tape still looks great

How has the vinyl held up until now? I'm interested in doing my calipers in dark blue.
Old 10-21-16, 11:42 AM
LatinLS430
Instructor

Received 89 Likes on 72 Posts

That looks pretty good!
Old 10-21-16, 12:43 PM
forcaport7
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by suvi2k
I'm doing it on Saturday but will not do the cut pieces like you. I want to use only a single piece and yes I will take my time. Thanks for the tips! I also ordered more than I needed and the logo vinyls. :P
Did you stick the logo vinyls on top of the completed wrap? how are those holding up? I saw a couple of people put the vinyls on, and then paint over it, and then remove the vinyls to have the logo leftover. Since I am not painting this is not an option but I am guessing they did this because most of the reviews on these vinyls say that they don't stick well due to the heat and what not...
Old 10-21-16, 03:28 PM
jaywuzhere
Rookie

Originally Posted by sirdimarco
How has the vinyl held up until now? I'm interested in doing my calipers in dark blue.
Calipers are still looking great! No signs of any wear-and-tear

Quick Reply: 3M Reflective Red Brake Caliper Vinyl Wrap