RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

Muffler Delete and MPG ?

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-15, 02:33 PM
iceweasel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Muffler Delete and MPG ?

Prior to my muffler delete I was averaging about 15 MPG or 230 miles per tank 90% City w/ a lot of stop and go in normal mode. After my muffler delete couple months ago I am averaging 13.5 mpg in normal mode. Eco mode is even worse. I drove to Vegas this past weekend from LA and averaged only 22 MPG and this is 95% highway going 80-95 mph with little traffic. My brother's 15 GS is averaging 18 mpg mostly city aswell. I Feel like I don't know how to drive and/or my car is secretly an e9x M3 without the power. Crazy how much gas this v6 uses.
Old 12-22-15, 02:45 PM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Received 188 Likes on 145 Posts

it's probably not the car more than it is the driver.

I've done muffler or resonator deletes on many cars and never really seen the MPG affected either direction overall.

what I have noticed is that initially after doing the delete and for several weeks my right foot was a bit heavier because I wanted to hear the exhaust roar.

you might be experiencing the same thing.

When I bought my RCF 2 months ago I was only averaging ~13mpg due to my driving habits, hot rodding it a lot, pushing it a bit harder because it was a new toy. racing from light to light, etc.

now two months later I am getting ~19 mpg, same route that hasn't changed in several years, difference now is I am being a bit more responsible and driving it like an old man.

Same experience with my previous vehicle, a Camaro 2SS/RS convertible, for the first few months I was lucky to see 12 mpg in it, after the newness wore off and I stopped hot rodding it, it settled into a steady 16 mpg for the next 3 years for my daily commute.
The following users liked this post:
Devin55 (05-17-19)
Old 12-22-15, 09:15 PM
ZAM
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

From what I've researched, I am suppose to get better mpg with my cat back exhaust because of the back pressure. I think it might be that I my right foot got heavier after the exhaust as well.
Old 12-25-15, 09:01 AM
toystry
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I've got an RCF and get close to 19mpg. How is your mileage so terrible?
Old 12-28-15, 10:58 AM
iceweasel
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not to sure lol
Old 12-29-15, 12:55 PM
nelson143
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I average 20.4 on my DD RCF. I have 4400 miles on it.
Old 01-04-16, 10:47 AM
ARM350F
Pole Position

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I know this thread is about MPG but I have to ask does the RC have drone with a muffler delete, I did one on my GS and it drove me insane. However, it did sound good.
Old 01-04-16, 11:01 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Muffler delete is illegal in almost all states. I'm surprised you haven't been fined by the police or at least turned in by your next door neighbor.
Old 01-04-16, 11:37 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by tradosauru
Muffler delete is illegal in almost all states. I'm surprised you haven't been fined by the police or at least turned in by your next door neighbor.

well that is not entirely true.

deleting the CATS is illegal, removing the mufflers is not as long as you do not exceed the Decibel level set forth by your State's vehicle code.

sound laws are State specific, however in some states you may not pass inspection (those that require inspection) if said inspection requires mufflers or resonators be visible.

I've deleted and done straight pipes on all my vehicles for the past 30 years, I do however use resonated tips to keep the noise down at idle, and I've never been cited for loud exhaust or removed mufflers in NY, TX, CO, NV, AZ, and CA.

I was however nailed in CA for long tube headers and hi-flo cats.
Old 01-05-16, 08:08 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

Originally Posted by mjeds
well that is not entirely true.

deleting the CATS is illegal, removing the mufflers is not as long as you do not exceed the Decibel level set forth by your State's vehicle code.

sound laws are State specific, however in some states you may not pass inspection (those that require inspection) if said inspection requires mufflers or resonators be visible.

I've deleted and done straight pipes on all my vehicles for the past 30 years, I do however use resonated tips to keep the noise down at idle, and I've never been cited for loud exhaust or removed mufflers in NY, TX, CO, NV, AZ, and CA.

I was however nailed in CA for long tube headers and hi-flo cats.

Here is the Texas transportation code that specifically states against removal of muffler. I've check a few other states and the language is similar.

Sec. 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise. (b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Like I said any neighbor could force the police or city to make you put a muffler on your vehicle. I know because I did it in my neighborhood since my morning sleep is more important than someone trying to compensate.
Old 01-05-16, 10:25 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

Here is the Texas transportation code that specifically states against removal of muffler. I've check a few other states and the language is similar.

Sec. 547.604. MUFFLER REQUIRED. (a) A motor vehicle shall be equipped with a muffler in good working condition that continually operates to prevent excessive or unusual noise. (b) A person may not use a muffler cutout, bypass, or similar device on a motor vehicle.
Acts 1995, 74th Leg., ch. 165, Sec. 1, eff. Sept. 1, 1995.

Like I said any neighbor could force the police or city to make you put a muffler on your vehicle. I know because I did it in my neighborhood since my morning sleep is more important than someone trying to compensate.

see the key in that code is that the muffler has to operate to prevent excessive or unusual noise.

a resonated tip accomplishes that on a straight pipe, or a resonated straight pipe and a standard tip.

this is a resonated straight pipe and I know it passes inspection as a qualified noise reduction device/muffler in NY and TX.

This is a resonated tip and it also passes inspection as a qualifying noise reduction device/muffler in NY and TX:

CA doesn't have inspections, but I know that either of these on a car would not induce a pull over for excessive noise and I know they both pass the DB test at the CHP station, as I have recently had it done to a 1932 Ford Roadster I am restoring, and it has straight pipes from headers to tail pipe, with resonated mid-pipes, and it is loud under load, but passes the CHP decibel tests at idle through 3,000 rpm.

and as far as the neighbor issue. I doubt any person can "force" a LEO to write a citation for it, and I know for fact a LEO cannot "force" you to put on a muffler, only a court order can do that.

The officer is required to use a DB meter to test the sound at idle through a specific rpm and if he doesn't then the ticket will be thrown out of court.

while the officer can write the ticket if he wants without the test, if fought in court, the judge would likely throw out the citation without the test. Sound is subjective so specific devices are required to be used to measure the sound to be sure it is within the legal parameters.

now personally I don't fire up my cars or motorcycles and rev them and wake my neighbors intentionally, and I idle in and out of my street as not to disturb anyone, it's called respect, since I have to live next to these people I have no interest in causing a feud with them.

Last edited by mjeds; 01-05-16 at 10:29 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 10:32 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

I guess you missed the capitalized "MUFFLER REQUIRED". Most small municipalities are not going to buy the dB equipment to measure noise. It's easier for the police to just issue a citation.
I don't get the fascination with making a car intentionally louder as there is no advantage to doing so beside annoying other people.

Last edited by tradosauru; 01-05-16 at 10:40 AM.
Old 01-05-16, 10:41 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

I guess you missed the capitalized "MUFFLER REQUIRED". Most small municipalities are not going to buy the dB equipment to measure noise. It's easier for the police to just issue a citation.

and you missed the "qualified noise reduction device/muffler in NY and TX" part of my post for both items.

a resonated straight pipe qualifies as a muffler.

and it doesn't matter if the small municipalities want to buy the DB meter or not, with out it the ticket would not hold up in court if it was fought.

I know what I am talking about, I have a dozen family members that are LEOs in NY, CA, TX, CO and IL. I've lived in all these places and had enough discussion over equipment laws and what can and cannot be done especially when restoring older vehicles, building hot rods, and building kit cars, something I have been doing for 30 years.

a LEO can write a citation for anything they want, that doesn't mean the citation will stand up in court if the receiver of the citation decides to fight it.
Old 01-05-16, 11:02 AM
tradosauru
Advanced

In a court of law you would lose. trust me.
Our inspection place in our small town would allow any car to get an inspection as long as the wipers and headlights work. Doesn't mean they are right.
LEO's are not lawyers and are normally aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer so don't see legal advice from them.

This is the required inspection list for Texas. the place I go for inspection only does 1,2, 12, 13, and 17. I thinking about reporting them to the state.

05.01 Inspect Every Passenger Car For: (Listed in suggested order of inspection)
* Check for evidence of Financial Responsibility
1. Horn
2. Windshield Wipers
3. Mirror
4. Steering
5. Seat Belts
6. Brakes (system) (Parking - beginning with 1960 models)
7. Tires
8. Wheel Assembly
9. Exhaust System
10. Exhaust Emission System (beginning with 1968 models)
11. Beam Indicator (beginning with 1948 models)
12. Tail Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
13. Stop Lamps (2); (1) if 1959 model or earlier
14. License Plate Lamp (1)
15. Rear Red Reflectors (2)
16. Turn Signal Lamps (beginning with 1960 models)
17. Head Lamps (2)
18. Motor, Serial, or Vehicle Identification Number
19. Gas caps on vehicles 2-24 model years old
20. Window Tint.
Old 01-05-16, 11:43 AM
mjeds
Lexus Champion

In a court of law you would lose. trust me.
Our inspection place in our small town would allow any car to get an inspection as long as the wipers and headlights work. Doesn't mean they are right.
LEO's are not lawyers and are normally aren't the sharpest knives in the drawer so don't see legal advice from them.

Actually in a court of law I have won 4 times with my motorcycles, since the officers didn't test the sound with the proper equipment when they pulled me over, and my bikes have full on straight pipes with no resonators.

The job of a LEO is to enforce the laws, not interpret them. Your comments about them is offensive and disrespectful.

I'm done arguing over it.

Quick Reply: Muffler Delete and MPG ?