RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model
View Poll Results: AWD or RWD based on this information?
RWD
40.00%
AWD
60.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

RC350 RWD vs AWD

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-15, 06:33 PM
Hite10
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC350 RWD vs AWD

Hi

So I'm in the process of trading in my IS350 for an RC350. I live in Toronto and am having a really hard time deciding RWD vs AWD.

The price difference in Canada is only $200 due to packaging. AWD is useful for Canadian winters and this price its a no brainer, but it looks like i'm sacrificing a lot.

None of this is available on AWD:
VGRS + LDH
8speed
staggered performance tires
Silly transfer case hump on AWD
LED fogs (odd canadian packaging)
No 2 piece rotors and smaller calipers (i discovered this by comparing 2 cars, not on any spec sheet)- Is it true the RWD gets 6 pistons and AWD gets 4!!????

Also is it just me or does the AWD sit really high?

I love the staggered setup, I might swap it out myself or pay the dealer. Anyone doing a staggered setup on AWD?

I want your thoughts, would you choose AWD or RWD if this was the case?

Last edited by Hite10; 08-29-15 at 06:37 PM.
Old 08-29-15, 09:20 PM
AussieRC
Rookie

I believe the (front) brakes on the F Sport are 4 piston, while RCF gets 6 piston.
Old 08-30-15, 09:31 AM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 223 Likes on 178 Posts

Lexus AWD models have a significantly higher ride height than RWD models...maybe to have more clearance for driving in snow?

If you plan on driving in the snow a lot...then you should probably get AWD.
Old 08-30-15, 10:39 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^ Agreed with the statement above, if you are going to drive it in poor conditions: rain, snow, go for AWD. If it is a car to drive when the weather is great, go RWD.
Old 08-30-15, 11:16 AM
lexusjeff
Driver School Candidate

That is a tough choice. I have driven my 2014 IS350 F-Sport RWD through the last 2 Buffalo, NY winters and with a solid set of winter tires, you will be able to take advantage of all the benefits of RWD while still retaining good winter capability as well. I used a set of Pirelli Soto Zero run flats on my IS and the car handled excellent in the snow, still rode very quietly or dry road and handled very well for normal driving. As long as you don't have a steep driveway or regularly park on city streets, the RWD should work well for you.
Old 08-30-15, 11:18 AM
Bimmerbob
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have the AWD and also liked the staggered look so... I had lowered it, but liked the OEM wheels so I found RCF wheels on ebay that were 9" in front and 10" on the rear. The big challenge was finding tires that were the same diameter needed on the AWD. Found tires on tire rack that worked. The wheels have been on for awhile now with no problems. It has made the car look very aggressive, just what I wanted.
Old 08-30-15, 04:11 PM
Hite10
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Bimmerbob
I have the AWD and also liked the staggered look so... I had lowered it, but liked the OEM wheels so I found RCF wheels on ebay that were 9" in front and 10" on the rear. The big challenge was finding tires that were the same diameter needed on the AWD. Found tires on tire rack that worked. The wheels have been on for awhile now with no problems. It has made the car look very aggressive, just what I wanted.
Thanks for the information. What tire size you running? Also do you have some pictures.

FYI my IS350 is RWD. I love it, but even with winter tires its not without challenges. Got stuck at a stop sign and every time, I see a snowy hill I park and walk up Lol.
Old 08-30-15, 08:33 PM
Guy Legend
Pit Crew

Would get awd in Toronto. You'll get more use and versatility of your car year round.
Old 08-31-15, 06:26 AM
dmac250
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default In Chicago

AWD was the only choice I would even consider...since i will have to most likely drive this year round. I may at some point end up getting a beater for winter to save miles. I feel more at ease around here with AWD tho.
Old 08-31-15, 07:28 AM
SRC350F
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by dmac250
AWD was the only choice I would even consider...since i will have to most likely drive this year round. I may at some point end up getting a beater for winter to save miles. I feel more at ease around here with AWD tho.
I am just going to the dealer and see if I can up my miles LOL (12k-15k)
Already did 3k miles in 2 months >.>
Old 08-31-15, 07:36 AM
GregCanada
Advanced

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

If you have a winter beater - go RWD, if this is your DD, AWD.

The 6-speed tranny is nice.
The smaller brakes still grab very hard. You will only notice the difference when tracking it.
LED fogs you can add aftermarket for $150.
Staggered tires - use your stock rims with winter tires, and get staggered performance wheels for the summer.
Old 08-31-15, 08:58 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Hite10
Hi

Silly transfer case hump on AWD

Also is it just me or does the AWD sit really high?

I want your thoughts, would you choose AWD or RWD if this was the case?
The transfer case hump is a non-issue to me. I rarely notice it. Can't speak for others, but my stance has settled in nicely. I don't consider it really high. I like to drive in manual mode and prefer the 6 speed to the 8 speed.

Best of luck in your decision.
Old 08-31-15, 09:26 AM
JDR76
Lexus Champion

Received 1,603 Likes on 1,021 Posts

According to Lexus, both the RWD and AWD models have 5.3 inches of ground clearance. I think the GS is the only model where the AWD model rides higher than the RWD model (not sure about the LS).
Old 08-31-15, 11:19 AM
Bimmerbob
Driver School Candidate

Default AWD Staggered pics

Originally Posted by Hite10
Thanks for the information. What tire size you running? Also do you have some pictures.

FYI my IS350 is RWD. I love it, but even with winter tires its not without challenges. Got stuck at a stop sign and every time, I see a snowy hill I park and walk up Lol.

Tires are Continental extreme contact DW 245/40-19 front and 275/35-19 rear.
Fronts have 20mm HR spacers,they come with the longer studs.

The diameter were 1/10 of an inch difference so tire rack shaved the fronts, they are now 1/32 different which is OK. The research I had done, 1/10th of an inch difference in diameter Is the maximum on AWD. There were a lot of tire manufactures that offered the sizes but the diameters were too far apart that's why I went with the continentals. With the all-wheel-drive and the wider tires the car handles amazing in corners.
Attached Thumbnails RC350 RWD vs AWD-image.jpg  
Old 08-31-15, 11:30 AM
Bimmerbob
Driver School Candidate

Here is another picture it only allows me to post one at a time. Hope this helps. I had kept the old wheels and tires and most likely will run them in the winter, I have no other use for them.
Attached Thumbnails RC350 RWD vs AWD-image.jpg  

Quick Reply: RC350 RWD vs AWD