ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion

ClubLexus - Lexus Forum Discussion (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/)
-   RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-1st-gen-2015-present-258/)
-   -   RC350 burnt smell?? (https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-1st-gen-2015-present/763555-rc350-burnt-smell.html)

Cam0m0 11-16-14 07:06 AM

RC350 burnt smell??

My RC FSport is just a week old and had been great until yesterday night. I was driving and suddenly I saw smoke coming from the front so I pull aside to check. There were smoke coming front the headlights, fogs, and guess hood...and smell like burnt plastic too. It's still like that when I turned it on this morning. Any new owner experience anything like that???

Truly55 11-16-14 09:19 AM

Can't say for sure but the Toyota GT86 (Scion FR-S / Subaru BRZ) engine bay was liberally covered in green goo which burnt off (smoke from the bonnet) when the engine was hot. It wore off after a while. Is your engine bay covered in a similar thing?

dchar 11-16-14 09:37 AM

I had a similar smell when parking the car in the garage after I picked up my new GS350. Didn't see any smoke though...might want to get that checked and leave car outside.

sydtoosic 11-16-14 08:02 PM

i was told it was some type of engine sealant burning off... it happened when i had the 2013 GS F Sport... it never smoked though, i just got the smell.

aWorkOfArt 11-16-14 11:18 PM

Had the weird odor you guys are describing when I picked up my RCF and no smoke either... If it continues to smell like something is burning I would suggest driving to the dealer and have them check it out just to be sure its nothing.

Cam0m0 11-17-14 06:00 AM

It never happened to any new Lexus I picked up before. It also didn't happen for the whole week I had it until now. The smell seems to come from the headlight area more because it's not really from the center area. Going in for a check.

NYKnick101 11-17-14 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by Cam0m0 (Post 8789945)
My RC FSport is just a week old and had been great until yesterday night. I was driving and suddenly I saw smoke coming from the front so I pull aside to check. There were smoke coming front the headlights, fogs, and guess hood...and smell like burnt plastic too. It's still like that when I turned it on this morning. Any new owner experience anything like that???

New York? You wouldn't happen to be that USB RC350 from poughkeepsie I saw the other morning would you?

As for the burning smell, I would continue to drive through out the break in period of the engine because I read some people having that light smoke smell on the IS350's. If you are really worried, document it and take it back to the dealer. if its heavy smoke, then you can take picture of whats going on

Cam0m0 11-17-14 09:18 AM

Just got out from the service and found out it was a garbage bag caught inbetween the exhaust piping melting the bag! Feel so silly and embarrassed haha...at least now I don't have to worry anymore...but yeah...

I do have an ultrasonic blue with rioja red but I'm from brooklyn.

4TehNguyen 11-17-14 10:27 AM

well glad it didnt turn out to be a bigger issue. I've been in a car where we saw smoke coming out and freaked out. Found a nearby mechanic and it was the same plastic bag issue too. Sure felt silly.

aWorkOfArt 11-17-14 06:35 PM

^ Thankfully its nothing wrong with the new ride

Lexus1998 11-21-14 10:00 AM

The cars are sprayed underneath with a protection barrier that protects the car from the salt water air on the boat and piers. The coating is then designed to burn off as you drive the car. It is completely normal but dealers should warn customers to expect the smell. Now in your case the bag that is different story, hopefully it wasn't melted because that could take awhile to come off.