RC - 1st Gen (2015-present) Discussion about the new Lexus RC model

not a big fan of RC

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-14, 03:48 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
Default not a big fan of RC

the car looks great, but i'm not a big fan of an entirely new model with the dated powertrain from other existing models. at least give us a turbo 3.5 V6 or a dual clutch tranny or something new. basically a two door IS with the same powertrain sells for $5k more
Old 02-18-14, 01:02 PM
reyoasian
Lexus Champion

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i'd rather take a zf tranny for a "luxury" sports car for daily
the tranny from the isf (i think that's what they're using) is not bad either

definitely need an updated engine tho...

almost-10-yr-old technology
Old 02-20-14, 02:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Last week we had a trainer from Lexus Corp and he told me we were going to be happy with the power made by the RC cars.....but he wouldn't say more.
I told him we enthusiasts were depending on Lexus to give us more power.
Old 02-20-14, 05:51 PM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree on the drivetrain bit. Lets hope the RC models engines make more power than the IS models.
Old 02-20-14, 06:34 PM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Just be happy Lexus has a physical coupe coming in less than a year and not just talk.

As to the powertrains, we're roughly 1 1/2 to 2 years away from the next generation. Puts everything right in line with the 250/350 being a decade old.

TTV6 and TTV8 will be here soon enough as reported
Old 02-22-14, 06:17 PM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Just like I did with the IS...soon as I get access to the training videos of the RC, I will share with the community.
Old 02-24-14, 02:28 PM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by Hoovey2411
Just be happy Lexus has a physical coupe coming in less than a year and not just talk.

As to the powertrains, we're roughly 1 1/2 to 2 years away from the next generation. Puts everything right in line with the 250/350 being a decade old.

TTV6 and TTV8 will be here soon enough as reported
can you elaborate more on that? 1 or 2 years away from which generator of what model? GS and IS both just redesigned, and for mid-cycle refresh they usually only do cosmetic stuff. we're looking at at least 5 more years before a new motor is introduced for Lexus sport sedan lineup
Old 02-25-14, 12:49 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

As long as the RC350 model produces around 350 horsepower I think that's about right, however a 2.5L-3.5L TT V6 that slots below the RC-F would be welcome. I know that isn't coming but it would be more appropriate. I'd love to see the RC-200 or whatever it will be called with the 2.5L turbo four cylinder slotted below the RC350.

As for transmissions, though, while I'd love to see a true 6-speed manual I know that won't happen. I did, however, fully expect to see Lexus offer a dual-clutch manual transmission on their first real performance luxury coupe in years. The RC-F not having a dual-clutch transmission is even more eyebrow-raising since Lexus had a clean sheet for this design.
Old 02-25-14, 10:05 AM
01LEXPL
Lead Lap

Received 68 Likes on 58 Posts

I can care less about power... Wish they had these things [even IS'] in diesel in north america like Europe gets them.

We don't know much as-is, but they can spin it two ways. Make a powerful coupe with a powerful price, or make like the CT, and keep it cost-effective whilst reliable.

Who cares if the motor is 10 years old, like really, how does it affect your life?
Look at the 1UZ, its a motor that was near two decades old and it worked & was praised.

Look at the early 3GS, GS300 motors with gumming up, last thing they need is more ****-ups on a new model.

If anything play around with the cams/timing to give it more pep for the 350 version, and leave the 250 with the '10 yr old motor'... simply aimed for better fuel econ [assuming a hybrid isn't coming out].
Old 02-25-14, 10:43 AM
Hoovey689

Received 122 Likes on 82 Posts

Originally Posted by stlgrym3
can you elaborate more on that? 1 or 2 years away from which generator of what model? GS and IS both just redesigned, and for mid-cycle refresh they usually only do cosmetic stuff. we're looking at at least 5 more years before a new motor is introduced for Lexus sport sedan lineup
Yes I'm talking about the TTV6 and TTV8 mills. The Turbo 4 will be introduced this year on the NX with a variant of it for RWD eventually. As to the former, the most likely candidates for the FI mills are the IS, GS, LS, RC and LF-LC (SC/LC). I'd expect the latter flagships LS and LF-LC to get them first around MY16, but theres an off chance we could see the TTV6 implementation on IS and GS too. Lexus does after all like to throw curveballs look at the 300/350 and 430/460 ordeal. And another factor to consider is the 250/350 are coming up on a decade old, so it'd coincide nicely to see FI 4/6 be dropped in IS. Of course this is all just speculation, but its the mental image my sources have painted thus far.
Old 02-25-14, 08:00 PM
spwolf
Lexus Champion

Received 110 Likes on 81 Posts

well RC is being launched with brand new 2.0 turbo, 300h and V8, only really old is V6 that is still great engine... but back to op, whatever engine RC get, so will IS and GS.
Old 02-26-14, 05:02 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

transmission already shifts in .1 sec like the ISF. Why do you want a dual clutch?
Old 02-26-14, 08:19 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
transmission already shifts in .1 sec like the ISF. Why do you want a dual clutch?
Why not, given that it's the current state of the art performance transmission available from just about every manufacturer that isn't still supporting traditional three-pedal manuals? As good as Lexus is getting with their automatics it's old technology that has been surpassed. Dual-clutch boxes have a very different feel from a torque convertor automatic. BMW (one of their closest target competitors with this vehicle) sells SMG cars, VW has their DSG, Mitsubishi's outgoing Evolution MR uses a dual-clutch, and Porsche famously offers their PDK throughout the 911 and Cayman lineup. There are many other examples of dual-clutch performance cars sold today but within the ballpark cost range of the RC and RC-F these made the most sense.

I love traditional stick transmissions more, personally but this is the standard the performance car world is moving to, save for a few specialty models like the Corvette and Viper.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-26-14 at 08:23 AM.
Old 02-26-14, 09:59 AM
4TehNguyen
Lexus Fanatic

Received 51 Likes on 46 Posts

why would you want to pay more for a car with dual clutch which is less reliable vs a proven transmission from the ISF, and still have the same shift times? Sounds like its for status despite the shift times and performance are the same. Why pay more for the same performance and less reliability? Those DCT are $3k+ options, require special transmission fluid, need as much fluid as the engine itself, and need changing every time the oil is changed or sometimes more often. Driving up the cost for no gains in performance other than to say yea its a DC.
Old 02-26-14, 11:14 AM
stlgrym3
Racer

Originally Posted by 4TehNguyen
why would you want to pay more for a car with dual clutch which is less reliable vs a proven transmission from the ISF, and still have the same shift times? Sounds like its for status despite the shift times and performance are the same. Why pay more for the same performance and less reliability? Those DCT are $3k+ options, require special transmission fluid, need as much fluid as the engine itself, and need changing every time the oil is changed or sometimes more often. Driving up the cost for no gains in performance other than to say yea its a DC.

with your knowledge, technology should never need to be evolve. the old 4 speed auto works just as fine when it came out, so why bother with the 6 speed auto? at least for me, if i pay the kind of money for a Lexus that's comparable to BMW or Audi counterparts, i want to have the up to date drivetrain in my Lexus, not because anything wrong with the old tech, but why paying the same $$$ for old stuff.

Quick Reply: not a big fan of RC