Photoshop Forum The place to photoshop rims, bodykits and etc. for your Lexus or other automobile.

PS 5.5 not loading!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-02, 01:41 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default PS 5.5 not loading!

I just reformatted my hard drive because I caught a bug that caused internet explorer and windows explorer to crash. So I'm reinstalling all my software today, and Photoshop installs properly, loads all it's filters, plug-ins and engines when I open it, but when it finishes loading all the crap it closes itself. I've tried reinstalling it twice and same thing both times. I can open Image Ready just fine, but I don't know how to export transparent gifs in IR 2.0. I need to make a transparent background for my avatar so it's not a white background on gray background (tacky). Any ideas what's up with Photoshop 5.5? I'm running Win2k and PS 5.5 has worked flawlessly in the past. No patches or updates online at Adobe.com either. Thanks.
Old 07-15-02, 04:48 AM
GrafFX
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well usually when PS crashes when loading into the ram. Something its loading is corrupted. Now there are many things that could actually go wrong here. First of the engine your talking about is the ICC profile. And if that file is corrupted it will cause PS to crash. To fix that problem you would have to get into your display properties to fix that problem.

Now the other issues that could be cause you didnt mention this part of the splash screen is FONTS. I have seen this many times where PS can HANG or CRASH when you have a corrupted font file. Most of the time it will hang for a few minutes but can still crash. The fix for this problem can get lengthly. Remove and fonts that you have installed to a different folder until PS loads. So you will have to keep removing fonts till it would load.

Now I havent played with 5.5 in a LONG time. But this is an odd problem. Maybe your PS disk is corrupted ?. Or perhaps you need to reinstall your video drivers. As far as whats your problem after a fresh install of win2k, and PS. I would think that the problem could be with win2k(drivers), or your disk. Oh btw I am assuming you have the PS disk and didnt just save the PS folder when reinstalling PS ?

You could also try rebuilding your preferences and see it that helps (Shift + Ctrl + Alt during the startup splash screen. Choose yes when prompted). Cant make any promises but like I said. Try reinstalling your videos drivers or use different version drivers(video). If you still having problems message me on AIM *markuscoolest* . Thank god for ACE test haha.........

Mark

Last edited by GrafFX; 07-15-02 at 04:51 AM.
Old 07-15-02, 11:24 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Actually it could be any of those possibilities. When I reformatted and installed Win2k, none of the video drivers would work for my ATI Rage 128 Pro, so I popped it out and used my older Diamond Viper V770 card. Also I had some custom fonts from my old OS that I didn't want to have to find and download again, so I backed up the font folder and overwrote the Win2k font folder.

I tried the Ctrl + Alt + Shift trick and it brought up a list of dropdown fields titled

Scratch Disk Preferences

Primary: startup, C:\, D:\
Secondary: none, C:\, D:\
Third: none, C:\, D:\
Forth: none, C:\, D:\

Okay so I left all the fields as highlighted and clicked OK. It crashes again, but the next time I load Photoshop the splash screen shows a new image with a box labelled "Strange Cargo" floating in the ocean. It crashes as well.
Old 07-16-02, 12:12 AM
GrafFX
Driver School Candidate

Hmmm interesting.......That kinda boggles my mind. Well as far as the scratch disk. That is PS version of virtual memory. And if its shared on the same partition as windows. It can cause problems. I take it windows is installed on your C drive. You would want to change that to D drive in the scratch disk section.

On my PC I had that same card at one time the V770. And I dont thing I had any problems with that card. Its just the luck that you have installed font and had video driver issues lol. Well start with correcting the scratch disk to D and D only. Then try to reinstall drivers for that card. Goto www.nvidia.com and try there drivers for your card.

Good luck
Old 07-16-02, 12:21 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Okay, well the D:\ drive thing didn't work. What if I installed photoshop on the D:\ itself? I'm on the NVIDIA page and the only display driver they have for Win2k is the Detonator XP. I think the Detonator drive worked for me before when I had Win98, but I don't know if I should try it. The reason I junked the ATI card was because of some stupid composite refresh setting in the driver that saved to the card's onboard BIOS and screwed it up permanently.
Old 07-16-02, 12:29 AM
GrafFX
Driver School Candidate

Hey I still think its a corrupted driver/file somewhere. You had a fresh install then it wont work. Oh and as installing it on another drive. I always make that standard. But its best to install that on another physical drive. Well did you try your font ? And yes the XP drivers should work cause in that exe there are XP and 2K drivers. I would try that next and let me know what happens.

This is the link you need.
http://www.nvidia.com/view.asp?PAGE=windows2000

Last edited by GrafFX; 07-16-02 at 12:31 AM.
Old 07-16-02, 12:50 AM
lex400sc
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I went ahead and downloaded it, but to no avail. Is there any way to reinstall my Windows fonts fresh without having to reinstall Windows? My drives are setup with applications and OS on one disk and media files, archieves, and backup/installer files on the other. I guess I'll try install PS on the D:\ drive