Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Heat Shield For Short Ram Intake

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-18, 08:16 PM
Dante486
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Heat Shield For Short Ram Intake

Hi I’m new here and I had a question about wether I should install a heat shield for an Injen Short Ram Intake? Is this something that is necessary for all short ram Intakes? I have a 2014 Lexus IS 350 and I see that the air filter will sit behind the headlight, away from the engine.
Old 10-19-18, 12:59 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

A CAI is bad enough. but you installed a Hot air intake? Honestly i'd return it to stock. don't bother with no heat shields. you are trying to cool something down which shouldn't be hot to begin with.
Old 11-25-18, 10:56 AM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante486
Hi I’m new here and I had a question about wether I should install a heat shield for an Injen Short Ram Intake? Is this something that is necessary for all short ram Intakes? I have a 2014 Lexus IS 350 and I see that the air filter will sit behind the headlight, away from the engine.
Why would you even want that intake? Instead of pulling in the coldest possible air from the airstream hitting the car head-on (stock lexus intake pipe+airbox), you would be using hot air from the engine compartment instead. That will easily drop your performance by 7-15%. What benefit would that serve? There is no heat shield that would shield you from the heat of the compartment, as you would be pulling in hot air. That heat shield will not be able to cool that air, as it is not what it was designed to do. It just can't do this by its design. Its purpose is to simply isolate one component from heat soaking another, which is not the case here.
Old 11-25-18, 04:22 PM
Dante486
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sunamer
Why would you even want that intake? Instead of pulling in the coldest possible air from the airstream hitting the car head-on (stock lexus intake pipe+airbox), you would be using hot air from the engine compartment instead. That will easily drop your performance by 7-15%. What benefit would that serve? There is no heat shield that would shield you from the heat of the compartment, as you would be pulling in hot air. That heat shield will not be able to cool that air, as it is not what it was designed to do. It just can't do this by its design. Its purpose is to simply isolate one component from heat soaking another, which is not the case here.
Have you ever installed this intake on a Lexus IS? The intake sits pretty far away from the engine as it’s below the right headlight. My car sounds so much better since installing it and the acceleration has improved. I’ve had no issue with the intake.
Old 11-28-18, 01:56 PM
TonyN
Instructor

Received 115 Likes on 79 Posts

yes on the heat shield, also try the thermal reflective stuff of DEI to reflect radiant temps, a decent heat shield will show a decent temp change.
Old 11-28-18, 02:14 PM
sunamer
Advanced

Received 177 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by Dante486

Have you ever installed this intake on a Lexus IS? The intake sits pretty far away from the engine as it’s below the right headlight. My car sounds so much better since installing it and the acceleration has improved. I’ve had no issue with the intake.
it is pretty hot down there, when the engine runs above idle. The fact that it “sits quite far away” is irrelevant as there isnt much space in there to begin with, and on top of that, the space is enclosed, which means, it is gonna heat up that air in there pretty quickly . And if you did not test your setup, it is kind of pointless to use subjective criteria to determine whether you did lose some power or not. It might sound good, but the sound is usually not an indication of how much power you gain/lose.
Old 11-28-18, 04:59 PM
TonyN
Instructor

With turbo charge cars and the intercooler setup it runs, hot air pre cooler is not as important, the cooler effectiveness is what really matters as that is the air that get used. Yes, having as close to ambient air temp as possible is important but your overstating the importance when it comes to turbo charge cars that has an after cooler.
Old 11-28-18, 05:05 PM
TonyN
Instructor

here is my setup, using rubber weather strip and insulation does make it effective in keeping away the heat and engine bay air, it also retains the cool air induction that the factory system uses.
I must admit, I did it more for thefsound then the performance gains itself, I wanted to hear the induction and actuator sound and did not want to hamper performance. The larger diameter piping did allow more air flow and smooth it out by removing the flex section.