Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Extended Warranty and Exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-18, 11:05 AM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Extended Warranty and Exhaust

Hey everyone, I'm interested in putting an aftermarket exhaust on my 15 is350 fsport. I have the extended warranty to 75k. If I get an exhaust other than the f sport performance axleback would this void the warranty? I'm hoping to add some growl without waiting for 30k miles to tick by.
Old 02-26-18, 12:48 PM
ChineseKFC
Driver

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

if you do decide to install an exhaust, keep the stock one and re-install if there is any work done by the dealer if you wish to be safe with your extended warranty. although i do believe they have to prove that your exhaust did in fact caused the problem in the first place.
Old 02-26-18, 01:02 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Maybe... it depends... possibly... it could... on and on.

If your extended warranty is through Lexus Financial Services, and you look in your in Vehicle Service Agreement under the Exclusions and Restrictions, provision 1. j. states:
"(1) ...This Agreement does not cover any breakdown, mechanical failure or expenses that are due to, result from, or are caused by any of the following:
(j)Any alteration to Your vehicle or any component thereof that does not meet the manufacturer's specifications."

So with the above in mind, obviously, if you install an aftermarket exhaust, any mechanical failures related to the exhaust would not be covered under your extended warranty, but the question really is, could the aftermarket exhaust give the warranty administrator reason to not cover other failures that would otherwise have been covered - and this is where one cannot say for sure either way, as it depends on the situation, the failure, the dealer, the mood of the warranty administrator on that day, how picky the dealer wants to be, etc, on and on.

If it were me with an extended warranty, I wouldn't give them any reason to deny any coverage, and IMO, installing an aftermarket exhaust (or anything non-OEM or OEM approved for that matter) only opens yourself up to that possibility - so I'd wait to install until after the warranty you purchased expires - but that's me. Happy driving.
Ugh, I was afraid that was the case. I know the f sport exhaust is supposed to be an upgrade and won't void warranty. It just seems like that is a lot for what you get, doesn't seem as loud for the price other options offered. It seems like the f sport intake is the same case unfortunately.
Old 02-27-18, 12:02 PM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Most of the time an axle back is no worry unless your dealer is a real ****.
Old 03-03-18, 03:17 PM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loophole35
Most of the time an axle back is no worry unless your dealer is a real ****.
I'm getting my oil changed in about 1500 miles, it's covered under the warranty. I'll ask when I'm there if an axle back will get me scuffed up. Now, should I go to a Toyota or Lexus dealer?
Old 03-03-18, 05:45 PM
loophole35
Pole Position

Received 45 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by irkthejerk
I'm getting my oil changed in about 1500 miles, it's covered under the warranty. I'll ask when I'm there if an axle back will get me scuffed up. Now, should I go to a Toyota or Lexus dealer?
Toyota can’t perform warranty work on Lexus FWI. I would take it to the Lexus dealer you plan to use for warranty and ask them. Some places will differ in what the “decide” to cover.
Old 03-04-18, 06:25 AM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by loophole35

Toyota can’t perform warranty work on Lexus FWI. I would take it to the Lexus dealer you plan to use for warranty and ask them. Some places will differ in what the “decide” to cover.
That's good to know, saved me a phone call and looking like an ***. Not the first time I was told something wrong by a dealer.
Old 04-07-18, 10:09 AM
irkthejerk
Driver School Candidate

So, I have a client that is a tech for toyota and huge mustang nerd (Has 11 of them, the one he was driving was a 2015 procharged 780 hp one). He said I could take it to him to work on, an axle back wouldn't void my warranty and he would do any of the work I wanted and make sure I don't do anything to void it. So, I'm glad I meet that guy.
Old 04-17-18, 03:54 PM
JoelsLexIS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by PatrixUSA
Welcome to Club Lexus.

Maybe... it depends... possibly... it could... on and on.

If your extended warranty is through Lexus Financial Services, and you look in your in Vehicle Service Agreement under the Exclusions and Restrictions, provision 1. j. states:
"(1) ...This Agreement does not cover any breakdown, mechanical failure or expenses that are due to, result from, or are caused by any of the following:
(j)Any alteration to Your vehicle or any component thereof that does not meet the manufacturer's specifications."

So with the above in mind, obviously, if you install an aftermarket exhaust, any mechanical failures related to the exhaust would not be covered under your extended warranty, but the question really is, could the aftermarket exhaust give the warranty administrator reason to not cover other failures that would otherwise have been covered - and this is where one cannot say for sure either way, as it depends on the situation, the failure, the dealer, the mood of the warranty administrator on that day, how picky the dealer wants to be, etc, on and on.

If it were me with an extended warranty, I wouldn't give them any reason to deny any coverage, and IMO, installing an aftermarket exhaust (or anything non-OEM or OEM approved for that matter) only opens yourself up to that possibility - so I'd wait to install until after the warranty you purchased expires - but that's me. Happy driving.
Couldn't have said it better myself!