Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

What's a real, nice exhaust that crackles/pops?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 09:35 PM
SamySalmon
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default What's a real, nice exhaust that crackles/pops?

Hi folks,

Have been thinking about exhausts recently. If I'm being honest, all the IS 350 exhaust videos I've seen on youtube just look crap. They sound like bogan cars with loud trumpets that don't sound better, just louder or more bogan-racer-boy. I'm a big fan of the AMG sound, the deep muscular growl with the nice crackles and pops that you hear. Now, you may say, the 350 is only a 3.5L V6, not some big 6.0L twin turbo or something, but looks at this humble old VW Golf (GTI/R32?) with a decent aftermarket exhaust:

This sounds amazing! And its only like a 2.0T or so? So this video goes to show you dont need some ridiculous V8 engine to get that sound. AMG45, same thing, 2.0T. I did read somewhere that its also to do with your ECU tuning, adding in more throttle when you let off the gas or something??

Anyway - can anyone shed some light on this topic? Is there a good combo for exhaust setups/tuning thats required to get a sound similar to that Golf sound? Or does anyone have any videos etc?

Cheers!
Old 05-26-17, 12:50 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Hard to compare completely different cars with V8s OR even V6s to the IS350 and expect to get similar results. What is your budget? Suruga Speed​​ has some of the best sounding exhaust systems I've heard on a 350.
Old 05-26-17, 04:18 PM
Aspect
Racer

Received 129 Likes on 122 Posts

Mercedes seems to always nail down the musical symphony from their cars. The only AMGs that I know of that crackle and pop are the CLA45 and the A45 off the top of my head and they are both 4 cylinder turbos. Pretty sure the pops and crackles are from the anti-lag system for the turbochargers. Given that the IS350 doesn't have a turbo it might be hard to get those... although you can try running really rich and removing all restrictions in your exhaust system... maybe you'll start spewing fire :P

but if you're looking to mimic something like the Jaguar F Type in either v6 or v8 variants... might be hard pressed on this platform

I do agree that a lot of full exhaust systems on our cars end up going the "trumpet" route just like the Nissan VQ engines. Can probably suggest to you the Joe Z true dual exhaust system. You can look it up on youtube and I think it might suit you in terms of adding more muscle to the sound
Old 05-26-17, 07:42 PM
604GSE21
Instructor

Received 320 Likes on 137 Posts

i think if u put that exhaust from the VW on the IS350 it would still sound like a trumpet lol... V6 will never sound amazing even a R35 sounds like a trumpet... European cars tend to sound a lot better when it comes to exhaust sound... even Fiat 500 Abarth sounds better than a lot of japanese or domestic cars...
Old 05-29-17, 02:22 AM
SamySalmon
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

But surely a V6 can pull of anything decent that an inline 4 can pull off? I know turbo may make a different but I always thought N/A was always better sounding for a real muscular sound, hence why all the american cars are large 5.0L + N/A engines... I just don't understand!!

But as Aspect said, Mercedes really has got it sorted:
+ beautiful start up sound
+ Depth and muscular sound
+ sounds great when it revs, nice intake sound as well
- No drone
- doesn't sound obnoxiously loud like some kid boyracers ricer car with some $100 exhaust system

Are there any exhausts systems with remote valve control? Thats the other option I'm quite keen to look into.
Old 06-12-17, 06:31 PM
bazzle01
Pit Crew

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Use a copper pipe for the tips.
Old 06-12-17, 09:39 PM
langjaykev
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

cant go wrong with F sport + Megan mid pipes imo!
Old 06-23-17, 05:13 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think most of the crackle/pop comes from a tune. Obviously the less muffling material in your exhaust, the more prominent the pops will be... but I think the root of it comes from the fuel mapping. Most car's I have driven, and my 428i specifically, pop a lot more when they are in eco mode. I'm pretty sure eco mode only changes the throttle sensitivity, shift points, and fuel mapping... and the fuel mapping would be the only thing that would make a difference in exhaust pops. Even further, I have a tune setting for my car that specifically makes it pop even more.
Old 06-23-17, 08:30 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Old 06-23-17, 08:33 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Same car, different video... sounds much better.

Old 06-29-17, 02:32 AM
240harrier
Driver School Candidate

Talking

Originally Posted by SamySalmon
Hi folks,

Have been thinking about exhausts recently. If I'm being honest, all the IS 350 exhaust videos I've seen on youtube just look crap. They sound like bogan cars with loud trumpets that don't sound better, just louder or more bogan-racer-boy. I'm a big fan of the AMG sound, the deep muscular growl with the nice crackles and pops that you hear. Now, you may say, the 350 is only a 3.5L V6, not some big 6.0L twin turbo or something, but looks at this humble old VW Golf (GTI/R32?) with a decent aftermarket exhaust

This sounds amazing! And its only like a 2.0T or so? So this video goes to show you dont need some ridiculous V8 engine to get that sound. AMG45, same thing, 2.0T. I did read somewhere that its also to do with your ECU tuning, adding in more throttle when you let off the gas or something??

Anyway - can anyone shed some light on this topic? Is there a good combo for exhaust setups/tuning thats required to get a sound similar to that Golf sound? Or does anyone have any videos etc?

Cheers!
Hi!
There is this Armytrix exhaust which might be what you are looking for but they are on the pricey side..