Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Misfire,what else can it be ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-17, 06:44 AM
eeric7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by brker1
swap coil packs... maybe a bad one
I changed those when I changed my spark plug and wires ,thanks tho
Old 04-25-17, 11:26 AM
silverbul
Intermediate

Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts

Listen guys. Burn that bad gas out of your car by either driving around town until empty or let set & idle. Pour a gallon of lacquer thinner in your tank & fill to the half mark line with premium fuel. Thinner has all the solvents the most major cleaners have & more in it to clean & for water absorption. Then take you a nice cruise around town to burn that mixture out of your tank. That mixture will remove water in the gas, clean your intake out of engine carbon deposit, clean your fuel injectors, O2 sensors. By the time you your at 1/4 tank your car should be back to normal but you still gotta burn that mixture out. Engine misfire, flashing cel, stalling all will go away. Shouldn't take long to burn out by your car running lean, needing more gas to stay idle. I also cleaned my throttle with carburetor cleaner & brush. Did this method 2 months ago & no problems to this day.
Old 04-27-17, 06:18 AM
99 GS3
Lexus Champion

Received 32 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by chek128
I am having the same issue, but the misfire didn't start until after I replaced my spark plugs. I replaced them originally because I could feel the car bogging down under boost. Replaced plugs and gapped them at .44. Installed brand new Coil Pack connectors and even swapped out my coils for other used coils I know are good, still misfire. I used some maf cleaner and cleaned the maf but same issue. Misfire at idle but give it some gas and it sounds better or when its in gear , but in park or neutral with no throttle it will misfire
You are turbo and running a .044? Geeze that's a huge gap, no doubt you are blowing out the spark.

Which model plugs did you take out and what were they gapped at? And which model plugs did you reinstall?

What turbo and injectors are you running, just stock twins with 440's, or something else?

Don't discount a bad coilpack since you say you only installed more used ones. I've been through a bunch of packs/problems on various 2j cars and they may work fine on a GE and seem ok but then when used on a GTE the problems show up. Random misfires at idle or cruising/boosting are common, and if you are going to keep the car I would invest in a brand new set of oem toyota coilpacks. They run so hot sitting down in the head that they just start getting unreliable after a few years, and really show their issues when turbo. Also have you replaced the coilpack jumper wires? Either with oem or the ngk, these breakdown and cause issues as well.