Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU Flash Tune Review

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-16, 11:06 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
So it's been about a little over 2 weeks with my tune guys, and all I can say is I love it. I've raced a few cars now and I have yet to lose (Not that I condone racing, keep it at the track) Most runs were just friendly stoplight to stop light pulls out of curiosity. So far I've managed to get a win against my brothers G8 GT by a fender (cat back, Headers, tune) 2x 04-05 WRX's (one with headers, downpipe, exhaust, Bov, and the other unknown) A R32 Golf (unknown mods), and believe it or not seem old dude in a Tesla P85 from a high speed roll that I'd rather not talk about since people only argue when I talk about it lol. Oh and a few Hondas but that's nothing new... I'm very impressed with what a simple tune can do for this car and I can't wait to see how it improves with OV's new True cold air carbon fiber intake and transmission tuning coming next month
Great to hear you haven't lost a race. Although I think a few of those cars you could beat without a tune (R32 Golf [I can attest to this] and any WRX that isn't an STI or STI swapped). Doesn't the G8 GT run high 12s in the 1/4 mile stock? If so that could mean the tune could allow the 2IS to break the 12s without too much trouble. Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason why I could see the win in the Tesla race (something is still nagging at me though... does the tune really provide that much high end power to allow this?) is because Teslas are 0-80 monsters and are as fast as hypercars from 0-60 but if its a rolling race, they lose their edge because low end torque is less useful in a rolling race. The trap speed of a P90D (just as an example) which runs a 10.9 - 10.8 second 1/4 mile is significantly less than a combustion car that runs close to the same time (R8, NSX, C7, GTR, 911 Turbo S, etc.). If you've seen any 'Model S vs Hellcat' video you'd know that the Hellcat starts to catch up just before the 1/4 mile finishes because 1. it actually has a little tiny bit of traction and 2. The massive torque advantage the Tesla had isn't as useful. Even though the Hellcat's 1/4 mile time is higher, its trap speed is also higher. If the Tesla had more than 1 gear, it could be faster in 60-120 acceleration, but the car only having 1 gear really limits or could limit it. Not to mention, its an almost 5000 pound sedan, which doesn't help at all in rolling races. So, if it was a rolling race from any speed that wasn't anything less than 60, I could believe that. Correct me if I am wrong. I am not a mechanical engineer nor have I ever worked on cars. This is just a hypothesis.

Is the transmission tune really coming out next month? And what is this 'carbon fiber intake'? I don't even know and yet I'm still really excited lol
Old 12-28-16, 11:43 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rezno
Great to hear you haven't lost a race. Although I think a few of those cars you could beat without a tune (R32 Golf [I can attest to this] and any WRX that isn't an STI or STI swapped). Doesn't the G8 GT run high 12s in the 1/4 mile stock? If so that could mean the tune could allow the 2IS to break the 12s without too much trouble. Correct me if I am wrong.

The reason why I could see the win in the Tesla race (something is still nagging at me though... does the tune really provide that much high end power to allow this?) is because Teslas are 0-80 monsters and are as fast as hypercars from 0-60 but if its a rolling race, they lose their edge because low end torque is less useful in a rolling race. The trap speed of a P90D (just as an example) which runs a 10.9 - 10.8 second 1/4 mile is significantly less than a combustion car that runs close to the same time (R8, NSX, C7, GTR, 911 Turbo S, etc.). If you've seen any 'Model S vs Hellcat' video you'd know that the Hellcat starts to catch up just before the 1/4 mile finishes because 1. it actually has a little tiny bit of traction and 2. The massive torque advantage the Tesla had isn't as useful. Even though the Hellcat's 1/4 mile time is higher, its trap speed is also higher. If the Tesla had more than 1 gear, it could be faster in 60-120 acceleration, but the car only having 1 gear really limits or could limit it. Not to mention, its an almost 5000 pound sedan, which doesn't help at all in rolling races. So, if it was a rolling race from any speed that wasn't anything less than 60, I could believe that. Correct me if I am wrong. I am not a mechanical engineer nor have I ever worked on cars. This is just a hypothesis.

Is the transmission tune really coming out next month? And what is this 'carbon fiber intake'? I don't even know and yet I'm still really excited lol
Yeah I've beat a Wrx before my tune actually. Only except it was closer and from a dig with me winning at around 80mph by about almost a car. We both had a passenger and I'm not sure of his mods. Off the line we were pretty even, it wasn't till later on that I would pull, but then again with a manual its always up to the driver of the vehicle (the wrx in this case). However with my recent experience with my tune, I raced a modded WRX (Headers, exhaust, downpipe, Bov) once again with one passenger each of us, and I pulled him easy in every run. We ran 4 times, and even from a dig I pulled right off the bat. I had to have won each race by a good 2 cars or so. And keep in mind that this is just a short race up to 80 or so. The higher Rev limit really helps this car pull ahead because while he has to shift his wrx, I'm still pulling away lol.

As for the Tesla at first I couldn't believe it, but after doing research it made complete sense that I won in that race. I even personally witnessed how fast he can take off from lower speeds, and I was for sure that I would lose. But I didn't

As for the intake, OV announced that next month they will have it for sale as well as the transmission tune. The intake is actually up for pre order right now into their site. It's available in 3 types : Short ram (pretty much just for sound), Standard (just like stock), and their true cold air (the intake routes to the front bumper, kind of like the rare ppe intake) Plus its made of real carbon according to OV to help keep ambient temperatures down.

As for the transmission tune, all its gonna do is allow the car to take advantage of its 7400 redline in Auto "D" mode, which by the way will come in handy a lot more than you think. It's will also make the car shift more crisp and improve the manual "S" mode to actually shift when you want it to. Instead of having to shift 300-400 rpm before your actual desired shift point.
Old 12-28-16, 11:47 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I also want to add that with the tune, I'm actually pretty darn sure our cars should at least be flat 13 second cars. We just need a proper track and conditions. But this is all just a guess until one of actually goes and runs at the strip. As for me, My plan is to have my car put on the dyno to see what she puts down. From there I will add the intake and other mods OV comes out with and re dyno to see what we actually gain.
Old 12-28-16, 12:12 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

Awesome results!
Old 12-28-16, 12:24 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Yeah I've beat a Wrx before my tune actually. Only except it was closer and from a dig with me winning at around 80mph by about almost a car. We both had a passenger and I'm not sure of his mods. Off the line we were pretty even, it wasn't till later on that I would pull, but then again with a manual its always up to the driver of the vehicle (the wrx in this case). However with my recent experience with my tune, I raced a modded WRX (Headers, exhaust, downpipe, Bov) once again with one passenger each of us, and I pulled him easy in every run. We ran 4 times, and even from a dig I pulled right off the bat. I had to have won each race by a good 2 cars or so. And keep in mind that this is just a short race up to 80 or so. The higher Rev limit really helps this car pull ahead because while he has to shift his wrx, I'm still pulling away lol.

As for the Tesla at first I couldn't believe it, but after doing research it made complete sense that I won in that race. I even personally witnessed how fast he can take off from lower speeds, and I was for sure that I would lose. But I didn't

As for the intake, OV announced that next month they will have it for sale as well as the transmission tune. The intake is actually up for pre order right now into their site. It's available in 3 types : Short ram (pretty much just for sound), Standard (just like stock), and their true cold air (the intake routes to the front bumper, kind of like the rare ppe intake) Plus its made of real carbon according to OV to help keep ambient temperatures down.

As for the transmission tune, all its gonna do is allow the car to take advantage of its 7400 redline in Auto "D" mode, which by the way will come in handy a lot more than you think. It's will also make the car shift more crisp and improve the manual "S" mode to actually shift when you want it to. Instead of having to shift 300-400 rpm before your actual desired shift point.
I'd imagine so for both your WRX races. Considering the 2IS transmission is the slowest shifting gearbox I ever experienced (yes, even more than the Honda 5-speed that everyone complains about in the Tl Type-S and the BMW 6 speed automatic) that increased redline probably saved you a lot of time. I don't think the shifting in the WRX costed him too much time but rather the higher end power on your IS350 is what made the difference (Remember, that 6 speed auto in our cars is reeeeally slow). The fact that the car stays longer in the 6600 - 7400 rev range in higher, harder-to-spin gears definitely helps a lot with high-end power. The 0-100 time is probably also cut significantly. I can only imagine how much quicker it will be once they release the aftermarket internals. Seems they are already making progress as I saw this post recently of work on an intake manifold for the 2GR FSE engine:

Facebook Post

Unless I am completely wrong on my guess the Tesla race makes sense. Its ridiculous though to see how well this tune has transformed the abilities of the car. And it wasn't even like a Model S 70 sedan, it was a P85. That is really impressive.

The carbon intake is what I am most interested in as it is probably the one that adds the most power. A short ram actually reduces power and why would I spend money on a stock intake. Still though its over $600 for that intake, and that is a bit much. I understand why (because its a new product from a small company), but it hasn't been tested yet and there aren't any gains. I'll probably wait until HP figures are released before deciding on them. If they can get even 10 HP out of that intake, that is a really good upgrade. The 'only 5 in stock'' thing also worries me. Are they not planning to make more than 5?

If they can just pull off making the gearbox shift faster and manually that is all I am really asking for. From what it seems though I haven't seen many posts indicating progress on this. Have they stalled on it or are they focused on the engine? Not complaining, just curious.

I have no doubt in mind the cars with this tune can run 13.0 second 1/4 mile times consistently now from all the progress that seems to have been made.

Last edited by Rezno; 12-28-16 at 12:27 PM.
Old 12-28-16, 12:43 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

I'd imagine so for both your WRX races. Considering the 2IS transmission is the slowest shifting gearbox I ever experienced (yes, even more than the Honda 5-speed that everyone complains about in the Tl Type-S and the BMW 6 speed automatic) that increased redline probably saved you a lot of time. I don't think the shifting in the WRX costed him too much time but rather the higher end power on your IS350 is what made the difference (Remember, that 6 speed auto in our cars is reeeeally slow). The fact that the car stays longer in the 6600 - 7400 rev range in higher, harder-to-spin gears definitely helps a lot with high-end power. The 0-100 time is probably also cut significantly. I can only imagine how much quicker it will be once they release the aftermarket internals. Seems they are already making progress as I saw this post recently of work on an intake manifold for the 2GR FSE engine:

https://www.facebook.com/Orangevirustuningltd/photos/pb.990934840931760.-2207520000.1482956845./1480703391954900/?type=3&theater

Unless I am completely wrong on my guess the Tesla race makes sense. Its ridiculous though to see how well this tune has transformed the abilities of the car. And it wasn't even like a Model S 70 sedan, it was a P85. That is really impressive.

The carbon intake is what I am most interested in as it is probably the one that adds the most power. A short ram actually reduces power and why would I spend money on a stock intake. Still though its over $600 for that intake, and that is a bit much. I understand why (because its a new product from a small company), but it hasn't been tested yet and there aren't any gains. I'll probably wait until HP figures are released before deciding on them. If they can get even 10 HP out of that intake, that is a really good upgrade. The 'only 5 in stock'' thing also worries me. Are they not planning to make more than 5?

If they can just pull off making the gearbox shift faster and manually that is all I am really asking for. From what it seems though I haven't seen many posts indicating progress on this. Have they stalled on it or are they focused on the engine? Not complaining, just curious.

I have no doubt in mind the cars with this tune can run 13.0 second 1/4 mile times consistently now from all the progress that seems to have been made.
Regarding the quantity of the intakes, I can't really say. All I know is that they are purely for pre order right now. Also they require we send our ecu for a re tune of the intake. Which is kind of annoying to be honest but I don't mind it since I have a daily anyway...

As for the transmission, the tune will NOT improve the actual shift time, as in the car won't shift like a Dual Clutch or ISF with the new programming. It's just supposed to reduce the user input lag. As in when you actually want to shift, the car will commence the gear change. Not sure if that makes any sense the way I explained it lol.

Also a correction to what you said earlier, the G8 Gt run a mid 13 or so stock from what I know and with the mods my brother has it should at least be a flat 13 car if not borderline 12 second car. It used to pull real good on me until I got tuned lol.
Old 12-28-16, 12:49 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Regarding the quantity of the intakes, I can't really say. All I know is that they are purely for pre order right now. Also they require we send our ecu for a re tune of the intake. Which is kind of annoying to be honest but I don't mind it since I have a daily anyway...

As for the transmission, the tune will NOT improve the actual shift time, as in the car won't shift like a Dual Clutch or ISF with the new programming. It's just supposed to reduce the user input lag. As in when you actually want to shift, the car will commence the gear change. Not sure if that makes any sense the way I explained it lol.

Also a correction to what you said earlier, the G8 Gt run a mid 13 or so stock from what I know and with the mods my brother has it should at least be a flat 13 car if not borderline 12 second car. It used to pull real good on me until I got tuned lol.
Alright that's fine. The reason why I'm waiting is because I want them to perfect and release everything before I make a purchase. Plus I daily my car, so it would be very inconvenient to send them my ECU now. I think I understand what you mean about the transmission tune, but honestly as long as it shifts faster than stock, that is a huge and very wanted improvement.

So the G8 isn't 13s stock but with a few mods. Got it.

Anyway all my thoughts aside its really incredible how much improvement they have made in a relatively short amount of time. Hopefully soon we'll have a very small but actual performance aftermarket for this car!
Old 12-28-16, 01:04 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Alright that's fine. The reason why I'm waiting is because I want them to perfect and release everything before I make a purchase. Plus I daily my car, so it would be very inconvenient to send them my ECU now. I think I understand what you mean about the transmission tune, but honestly as long as it shifts faster than stock, that is a huge and very wanted improvement.

So the G8 isn't 13s stock but with a few mods. Got it.

Anyway all my thoughts aside its really incredible how much improvement they have made in a relatively short amount of time. Hopefully soon we'll have a very small but actual performance aftermarket for this car!
No, the G8 gt IS a 13 seconds car, about even with our IS350 stock vs stock with them having an advantage from rolls I'd imagine. Before my tune no matter what kind of run we did, my brother would always beat. Even we had a passenger (and not a light one) from a dig, or from a roll, he would pull right away and only widen the gap between us. Maybe the tune didn't make that big a difference but the fact that I can now hang with him and even slightly take him makes this tune well worth the $300 I paid for it.

Also OV told me over on their FB messenger that they're goal with cams, Headers, and intake is to hit 350whp on their RC350. And from there they will aim for 400whp. They also keep saying that 2017 is going to be a great year for the 2is and I agree.. Even RR Racing is coming out with a few aftermarket performance parts for our cars thanks to the 3IS IS350 they bought purely for development of new parts. This coming year is gonna have a lot in store for us and I am beyond excited
Old 12-29-16, 01:17 AM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I am jealous of all you sea level guys. Up here at 4500 feet it is less pronounced but I still love my tune so much. Cant wait for it to warm up so I can try a 1/4 mile test.
Old 12-31-16, 01:21 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That's what he said? I'm still confused as to what the tune is actually going to be. All I want is it to shift when I click it. I hope we actually get that. The car it self shifts fast enough on its own just not when you click the paddle.
Old 12-31-16, 01:38 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2

That's what he said? I'm still confused as to what the tune is actually going to be. All I want is it to shift when I click it. I hope we actually get that. The car it self shifts fast enough on its own just not when you click the paddle.
Well from what he told me that's what I'm guessing. None of what I say is 100% till we hear it from them when its ready. But from what I said above, what I mean is that when you click the paddle, the car will commence its shift instead of waiting another 300-400 rpm to do it.

Let's put it another way, let's say the car take half a second to actually shift, as in the time the transmission is actually changing gears. With the tune the transmission will still take half a second to shift, only now it won't have the lag it currently does in manual when you press the paddles...

Edit : In other words the car will start shifting once you press the paddles.

I know OV also said something about the shift being more crisp or aggressive or something like that, but not sure what that entails... Anyway we'll just have to wait and see what happens. For me, as long as the manual mode is improved and the Auto mode shifts at 7400 then I'm happy
Old 02-26-17, 11:59 PM
GiantsFan
Lexus Fanatic

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Mannnn, I want a higher redline! lol
Old 04-19-17, 05:58 AM
4wheelin
Rookie

Anyone with any 0-60 or 1/4 mile data?
Their claim is up to 26hp and 30torque...surely this should make some numbers change at the track!
Old 04-22-17, 02:51 PM
tmade03
Driver School Candidate

Default OV Tuner

I have a 08is250 Lexus and wanted to know how to purchase a OV Tuner, what am I looking at for a Price. thanks
Old 06-22-17, 08:44 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Have to revive this thread. Any of you IS350 guys with the tune has tried the "7400 FTS BETA" on the handheld? According to OV Tuning 'this is a more aggressive, beta version of our 7400 FTS map. it's OK for 93 octane too'. I'm hesitant to try it since it's still a beta version but want to know the outcome of whoever has run it.

Last edited by my07is350; 06-23-17 at 09:01 AM.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU Flash Tune Review