Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-19, 05:06 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Let's hope this is enough to get around the steering shaft.

Old 03-21-19, 06:43 AM
captainva
Instructor

Received 269 Likes on 236 Posts

Bad ***. Are you laying in ice to do that work? There is no way I would be willing to do that
Old 03-21-19, 06:59 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Muffinizer
Bad ***. Are you laying in ice to do that work? There is no way I would be willing to do that
Ya gotta WANT IT! Lol, i am doing this on ice. The snow has been so crazy, now it's melting and my garage is semi flooded. That's ok, ice is nature's creeper.

I only get a limited window of opportunity to work on this pig, and believe me, I really want my car back. I'm dead inside without it 😂
Old 03-21-19, 02:43 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Alright. This has been pissing me off ever since i bought the parts. I found some LS460 cv shafts for 80 bucks, and bought the differential for around 100 if i recall.

NONE of the internal parts were compatible, so i tabled the idea.

BUT! I persevere... I slapped my 460 diff back together enough for a mock up. Then i plugged in 1 CV shaft, and i found it works!

Well, it works save for the ABS ring. And i need to confirm the pinion flange will swap.

Old 03-21-19, 03:36 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Pinion swaps! I wish i hadn't disassembled this diff, but hey if this information helps 1 other person, it's worth it.

There it is, LS460 diff fits the GS300 with the LS cv shafts. I think i can weld the tone rings from the old cv on the new, just gotta get it PERFECTLY straight. I'd like to keep ABS operational, but I'd still swap if i couldn't.

This may seem like a lot of extra work for 200 rpm but swapping in a 6 liter... It's gonna need all the gear i can get.

Old 03-22-19, 09:04 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Well, i'm all in now. I'm gonna do my best to get the driver side header to fit. There's no amount of bashing that would have made it fit, so i just cut out the section that hits the steering shaft. Plan is to go around the shaft, making it run in between the pipes.

I ordered some 2" stainless bends, we'll see how i tig it!

You know, I would almost cut the header at the flange, go up and over the 3rd runner, and drop between the rear two runners... I'm stoked to see how you solve this puzzle!
Old 03-22-19, 07:51 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

You know, i cringe at running the steering shaft through the header... I don't wanna do it. I'll try anything but that, but if it comes down to it i will.

Dunno, it was reeeally a **** day for me today, but my 5 year old kept up his end of the bargain and was a really good boy at school for a week and a half straight. So tomorrow i gotta take him to the water park. A weekend of relaxation will do me good.

Originally Posted by bloodMoney
You know, I would almost cut the header at the flange, go up and over the 3rd runner, and drop between the rear two runners... I'm stoked to see how you solve this puzzle!
Old 03-26-19, 04:23 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

So, i found a spot in the firewall that gave me enough clearance behind the last runner. I simply cut the fiberglass away and bashed it in. So i will not have to go around the steering shaft! Bloodmoney, i'm glad you mentioned it, i may not have checked.

Ordered a few things, a mini starter, slave cylinder, remote clutch bleeder kit, and bought some stainless tig welding supplies.

Haven't touched the car lately, we got us a great Dane pupper!

Old 03-28-19, 06:46 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Got a quick test fit of the header tacked together. Had to bash the living crap out of the #1 runner, but it should be alright.

Old 03-29-19, 08:07 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Originally Posted by CRASHMONK
Got a quick test fit of the header tacked together. Had to bash the living crap out of the #1 runner, but it should be alright.

Happy that it helped! I was moreso thinking out loud...

Holy smokes! I'm glad Engine Masters did a test showing that bashing up header like that had a negligable impact on total horsepower, because you really went to town on that runner!

Did you cycle the steering to make sure you clear the set screw?
Old 03-29-19, 09:19 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

I probably test fitted and bashed and re fitted 10 times to get it to clear the damn bolt on that steering shaft. Yes, engine masters made me feel much better about lt. All the denting should be good for at least 10hp lol.

Originally Posted by bloodMoney
Happy that it helped! I was moreso thinking out loud...

Holy smokes! I'm glad Engine Masters did a test showing that bashing up header like that had a negligable impact on total horsepower, because you really went to town on that runner!

Did you cycle the steering to make sure you clear the set screw?
Old 03-29-19, 09:23 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Got it welded up. I wish i had used thinner steel for the bend, but it's what was local. Was a major pain getting the lower part welded, it's so close to the other pipe.

Again, i'm no welder but i respect those that do it.

Old 03-29-19, 12:55 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Can't post a video here, but i dial indicated my bellhousing. Glad i did, the sucker is .015" outta whack! I just so happen to have some .014" offset dowels...😈

Old 04-01-19, 05:35 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Damn! Don't worry about it being perfect. Functional is a level of perfection!

I can't wait to see a video of this thing running.
Old 04-01-19, 07:45 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Me too! I need my beasty back..

I got the trans back together and clutch and pilot bearing installed. I suspect however the pilot is not fully engaged in the bearing. So ive ordered an extended pilot, .25" longer, and also a set of slave cylinder shims. The slave nearly seats in the retainer, but the bell housing is preventing it from fully seating.

Quick Reply: GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!