Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-17, 08:19 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

I got the diffs apart and quickly saw this was not the quick n easy project i hoped for.
460 on left 300 on right. Note the major difference in ring gear location. Not a ring gear swap unfortunately.

Gs300 flat tooth splines
Gs460 pointy tooth splines. 30 of em
Here's to hoping i can swap the spider gears out!
Old 03-09-17, 12:35 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 03-11-17 at 08:00 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 06:36 AM
bloodMoney
Rookie

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Looking good!! Time to get lower now
Old 03-10-17, 04:32 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

I figured i would hear about lowering... As much as i would like to, this car is my daily. If anything i can actually use the increased ground clearance where i live.

I dunno the Lexus community standpoint on Plasti-Dip but I plan to try it on the wheels. I ordered the burnt copper kit and figured I'll give it a shot. I have all 4 tires installed but off of the car.

BTW i thought I'd mention about mounting these low pro tires. I bought a set of staggered tires for 100 bucks: 225/40/19 and 255/35/19.

Again, it's not easy but you CAN install this low of profile by hand. Had to use the bead breaker to get the bead down into the drop while also prying on the tire. It's tricky.

Got the plasti dip down tonight. Hopefully i get them mounted tomorrow

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 03-11-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-10-17, 04:36 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

please tell us you have the center caps for those wheels. theres nothing worse than wheels missing center caps. the plasti dip looks good.
Old 03-10-17, 04:42 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Erm.... the center caps are MIA...

That's part of why I got them for 200 bucks. Lame, but i thought i could sorta make up for that with plasti dip.

If anyone knows where to get Konig Appeal center caps I'm all ears! Konig discontinued them so i think I'm outta luck.

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 03-11-17 at 07:13 AM.
Old 03-11-17, 07:05 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Well I'll be the first to say, I'm not a painter. I got impatient and had some runs and a couple spots that were thin.

But that's the beauty of plasti dip, if i were so inclined i can tear it all off like it never happened. But i don't actually care. I think it looks good. Just don't look too close!

This is after all a thread designed for the cheap-***.

Last edited by CRASHMONK; 03-11-17 at 07:11 AM.
Old 04-06-17, 07:42 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

So i recently won an android stereo on ebay. This first pic is the unit i "won". With some cutting it should fit into a gs double din plastic metra doohickey blah blah.... 6.2 inch screen with 5.1 android. K?

Here's what i received:

A 2010 Toyota corolla specific 4.4.4 stereo. Supposed to fit in the dash and "Be" the double din. At first I'm pissed and message the seller and they're totally fine with refunding and paying shipping.

But then i start doing some measuring, and i offered the seller a perfect feedback score IF they refund me 40 bucks. This would be a total of $100 for this unit. They accepted and then it was mine.

After cutting as much outside plastic off as i felt comfortable with, i now have an 8" screen android stereo that does seem to operate OK. DVD works, the phone bluetooth is not bad, screen is nice. The radio volume is crazy loud with a few clicks but i would normally use BT anyway.

Yes i gathered that the fitment is less than desirable. But i am willing to keep my expectations reasonable for a $100 android head unit.

FWIW being a Toyota corolla unit I didn't have to cut or splice ANY WIRES! The harness literally just plugged into the wiring i pulled from the factory amp. 1 wire (remote switch) had to be relocated to receive switched power but no big.

Someday these head units will actually be worth a damn. Currently they all seem to just have 1 gb of ram and old software. How much does a stereo really need?
Old 04-07-17, 03:32 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Did i mention this cheapie stereo solved my need for a coolant temp Guage??

I can even have 2 bluetooth devices hooked up at once. My phone automatically connects without my attention.

And the ELM327 seems to work seamlessly every time i turn the car on. I ordered a USB elm327 and that should work better but not entirely necessary.
Old 04-08-17, 06:20 PM
badblackgs
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 62 Posts

I see why they sold it so cheap. its a defect unit because at the top right the word "tune" is spelt " tun". score for you. looks cool.
Old 04-08-17, 07:36 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Originally Posted by badblackgs
I see why they sold it so cheap. its a defect unit because at the top right the word "tune" is spelt " tun". score for you. looks cool.
Funny you mention that. I'm the grammar **** that has considered writing an E on that.

Definitely a score, but I'm not sure it's for everyone. The fitment really is the only downside. Ebay handed me a lemon, so I'm sipping on cool lemonade.....

I also bought my neighbors sub system yesterday for 60 bucks. 2x12" sony xplodes and an RF amp. I'll have to get some pics of that sometime.
Old 06-14-17, 06:15 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

65xx Mile update:

Not much to report other than summer is here, very much missing air conditioning The GS is running strong. Still no cam swap, I'm fixing my Nissan maxima to drive while the gs is down for upgrades. I'm strongly considering AC since I have most of the parts.

Recently I pull in my driveway and the clutch pedal is soft, weird. I park and begin cycling my clutch pedal and notice it's sticky? Then I put it in gear, pedal it a little and the car lurches forward.. Oh ***** not the slave cylinder! God anything but that! So I pump the pedal a bunch, look under the car and...... Wait no fluid? Wtf?

Look under the dash and oh... Yeah my carpets wet with brake fluid. That's not so bad. Guess my landcruiser master cylinder from 1985 won't last forever. Better than the internal slave failing!

Also I did cut the outside lip of plasti dip from my wheels like I originally wanted. Looks better IMO.

​​​

I'll have to take more pics tomorrow, I put a couple stripes on the hood. Some will hate it but I like it.
Old 06-14-17, 08:42 PM
GS400V8
Intermediate

Received 42 Likes on 32 Posts

Cool stuff, I'm in for the stripe pics. I'm actually very curious about how they would look.
I've only seen pics of stripes on an SC, and one 2GS but the car itself was way overdone.
Any idea from which car the a/c compressor would work in there? Didn't know if you had enough room to fit the GS or 4.8L one in there
Old 06-15-17, 04:27 PM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

Well here's a couple dirty pics. You get the idea. I attempted applying some pre cut window tint to the rear windows to start. I got the small windows pretty well, but the larger two I got BUBBLES!! I'll need to adjust my technique for the front.

Old 06-16-17, 05:22 AM
CRASHMONK
Pole Position

When I was first test fitting the engine I left the compressor on and it did fit. Now however engine mounts are made and done. I have a couple pics... I'd definitely just use the Chevy compressor.

Less ac compressor but the engine mount and compressor mount are here.

Originally Posted by GS400V8
Cool stuff, I'm in for the stripe pics. I'm actually very curious about how they would look.
I've only seen pics of stripes on an SC, and one 2GS but the car itself was way overdone.
Any idea from which car the a/c compressor would work in there? Didn't know if you had enough room to fit the GS or 4.8L one in there

Quick Reply: GS480 Stick Shift For Cheap Asses!