Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Drone!! Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust w/ no resonator

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-16, 04:34 AM
janterry15
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Drone!! Tanabe Medalion Touring Exhaust w/ no resonator

Hi

first started off with a resonator delete for my stock exhaust.
Then I bought the Tanabe axle back and got it installed.

There is so much cabin drone! is it just loud because its new? does it get better after breaking in??

If not,
How can i fix it. Should I put my stock resonators back on? (i heard that makes my exhaust sound really soft and stock sound)
or should i get a after market resonator (vibrant resonator? or which one do you guys recommend?)
or buy a aftermarket mid pipe? or
what else can I do??

Im trying to do this as cheap as possible but still having a deep tone. Just need to get rid of that cabin drone. Its giving me a headache!

Please help

Thanks
Old 08-25-16, 06:34 AM
Sexis350
Pole Position

I gave up on exhausts because im assuming all of them have drone to some degree (even f sport). You cant have a growl on outside without hearing anything inside. Thats why i just put an afe intake in and called it a day. You get growl from 3kup to WOT and luxury silence under that. Gona weld on some exhaust tips so exhaust looks nicer too.
Old 08-25-16, 05:17 PM
LexSense
Intermediate

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I have PPE headers and JoeZ axleback.
Actually have the full JoeZ exhaust, but it was droning like crazy with headers, so that had to come off.

With headers, stock midpipe, and JoeZ axleback the sound was significantly less deafening.
Now the JoeZ midpipe is just sitting there for now.

I'm convinced the sound deadening on our car is pretty deplorable, as the exhaust is hardly loud hearing it from outside the vehicle.

Anyone try Dynamat in the trunk or similar sound deadening products to reduce drone?
Old 08-26-16, 12:12 AM
Fsportme
Driver

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by janterry15
Hi

There is so much cabin drone! is it just loud because its new? does it get better after breaking in??

If not,
How can i fix it. Should I put my stock resonators back on? (i heard that makes my exhaust sound really soft and stock sound)
or should i get a after market resonator (vibrant resonator? or which one do you guys recommend?)
what else can I do??

Im trying to do this as cheap as possible but still having a deep tone. Just need to get rid of that cabin drone. Its giving me a headache!

Please help

Thanks
Pretty simple... put the resonator back on is the cheapest route!
Old 08-26-16, 10:37 AM
anthonys2r
Advanced

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by LexSense
I have PPE headers and JoeZ axleback.
Actually have the full JoeZ exhaust, but it was droning like crazy with headers, so that had to come off.

With headers, stock midpipe, and JoeZ axleback the sound was significantly less deafening.
Now the JoeZ midpipe is just sitting there for now.

I'm convinced the sound deadening on our car is pretty deplorable, as the exhaust is hardly loud hearing it from outside the vehicle.

Anyone try Dynamat in the trunk or similar sound deadening products to reduce drone?
I have the Ark exhaust and Dynamat in my trunk, about 75% covered. It does not blanket the drone, probably about 10%. You're going to need it all under the seats and floor carpet lining for any true sound deadening.
Old 08-28-16, 01:13 PM
UngBuck
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

i think once you changed the resonator. you will definitely get drones no matter what. especially with headers.
Old 08-28-16, 08:17 PM
janterry15
Rookie

Originally Posted by Fsportme
Pretty simple... put the resonator back on is the cheapest route!
haha yea I put the resonator back on.
the exhaust is very soft and only loud when it heats up, which is perfect for me.

Old 12-07-18, 06:46 PM
teban
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by janterry15
Hi

If not,
what else can I do??

Please help

Thanks
Old post but but because you did resonator delete that it is your cause for it being loud like that. I was very interested in the Tanabe Medallion Touring for my is200t but don't want the drone.
Old 12-09-18, 03:41 PM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by teban
Old post but but because you did resonator delete that it is your cause for it being loud like that. I was very interested in the Tanabe Medallion Touring for my is200t but don't want the drone.
I have the Tanabe exhaust on and it drones only during the break in period then there’s no drone after, just give it like 100-300 miles.
The following users liked this post:
teban (01-02-19)
Old 01-02-19, 09:57 AM
teban
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Flash5

I have the Tanabe exhaust on and it drones only during the break in period then there’s no drone after, just give it like 100-300 miles.
Thank you. I also want to change my diffuser to 17 to complete look.