Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

OS Giken LSD installed finally in 2008 IS 350

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-16, 10:29 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default OS Giken LSD installed finally in 2008 IS 350

Finally got this done with the help of a forum member Benard. BTW if you need some work done to your car Bernard is the man! Enthusiast who does work out of his garage at his house in Orange County. Leaving my car was an interesting emotional experience but no problems. If your interested in having him do something for you send pm. When we got into it we found out that FIGS sent me the wrong unit. It was for an ISF. SO IF YOU DO THIS MAKE SURE YOU DOUBLE CHECK THE PART. I got lucky in that Giken is 20 miles away from me so the proper part was in my hands the next day. What he sent was a ISF unit. Mixed it up. Mike at FIGS quickly corrected the error.

People who have done this mentioned a clicking with turns at parking lot speeds. It's
annoying but I can live with it. I think it will quiet down a little once the clutch plates wear in. Will change out the initial fluid at 600 miles. There is also a little extra vibration I believe because of the FIGS mounts.

Driving around with track and VDM OFF and a real LSD is a different experience with this car! Feels like a different car altogether! Very predictable easily to correct. I took some areas I know where the track control would have activated and got just good traction and control without the momentary balance upset or lag. One place I put myself into a throttle slide and corrected pretty easy with steering and throttle which was hard to induce with track. Where ever the nose and steering is pointed it just goes there. Up and out the driveway at an odd angle because of a lowered car is easier to. With track it stopped and "thought " about it with the track light blinking and dead wheel, now it just goes.

Thanks for all that helped on this! Will post up some pic later. Would have been difficult to do this with out someone to talk me through it. It is definitely not a mod for the faint of heart. The next mod is PPE headers. We plan on cutting them so the main cats can go back on.
Old 07-03-16, 02:47 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

This mod is definitely not for the faint of heart which is why I left that install to my local experts at Titan Motorsports.

That's crazy to hear that you initially received the wrong LSD. I never would have thought that it would be the cause as to why you were having a lot of difficulties with the installation.

The first 500-1000 miles with the differential using the break in fluid will be noisy and a bit clunky since the break in fluid lacks the viscosity of the super thick OS Giken fluid. Once you swapped out the fluids, all the noise will be gone and the clutch plates will be extremely smooth and predictable. I had the same initial thoughts when I was using the break in fluid and later learned that what you're experiencing now is not the true representation of the LSD. Try to rack up as much miles as you can soon so you can throw in the OS Giken fluid and you won't experience anymore of the clunking sounds or odd locking behavior.

Since having the lsd installed, I'm always leaving VSC off. I find that the VSC will sometimes interfere with the full potential of the differential by engaging the brakes on the inner rear tire and makes the lexus feel "snappy". I've had no traction issues on the streets with leaving VSC off all the time, even during rain showers (provided you have enough tread wear on your tires).

Let us know when you finally get rid of the break in fluid and report back on the difference using the OS Giken fluid.
Old 07-03-16, 05:23 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Good to hear more having installed the OSG unit! If it wasn't be a new vehicle purchase in my near future, I'd probably lay down the cash for it. However, bigger/better things to come!

Report back after the break-in is completed.
Old 07-04-16, 05:23 AM
redspencer
OG Member

Received 529 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
Good to hear more having installed the OSG unit! If it wasn't be a new vehicle purchase in my near future, I'd probably lay down the cash for it. However, bigger/better things to come!
The car you plan on buying has its own trick differential.
Old 08-24-16, 04:59 PM
rijn
Rookie

How does the traction control react to the LSD? I'm assuming it would be best to turn it off. Is there a way to disable it?
Old 08-24-16, 05:09 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

The E traction control does not work with a mechanical LSD. They sort of fight with each other. One side (E) is trying to apply brakes to the inside wheel to let the other side catch up. The LSD is routing power to the outside wheel.

On my 2007 I just depress traction button for 6 sec at a stop and the VSC AND Trac turn off for as long as I'm driving. When the car is shut off it turns back on. That way it's totally mechanical.
Old 08-24-16, 05:17 PM
rijn
Rookie

Exactly. Traction Control fights with a real LSD. I was able to disable TC in my Vette, but leave the stability control in place. It sounds like there's no way to turn off the TC without disabling the VSC.

I have the cross brace too and it really tightened up the rear (as it should).
Old 08-24-16, 05:31 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

With Trac and VSC off feels more like a real sports car. Great feel and control.
Old 08-24-16, 07:50 PM
Alpinam3
Rookie

Actually one can turn of the traction control with out turning off VSC. Just hit the button on a 2007 or > and it turns off.
The only problem is it only stays off until 40 mph then it resets. The only way to leave it off is depress for 6 seconds which disables VSC for that driving session only. It resets when car is shut off.

Its one of my peeves with this car that and the foot emergency brake.
Old 10-02-16, 12:40 PM
mattmatt57
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very interesting nice mod.
Old 12-02-16, 01:24 PM
rlydeadly
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when ur ready to sell it let me know,i will buy it