Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-17, 06:14 PM
MRKIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I did email them and I did hear back. They really did not have any trouble shooting just that they will send me a new one. I did try to get the stock config I choose several of the IS 350 options. They all say the same thing other than 1 that states a Canada motor. I got the prompt saying connect to the ECU yes/no. I choose yes and it said no config error and a code. I suppose this unit is bad. Things do happened I had just timed the delivery to a week when I had some extra time to deal with and enjoy this.

Since you also have a 250 what are your overall thoughts of the car after the tune?
Old 08-14-17, 06:54 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Originally Posted by MRKIS250
Thanks for the advice. I did email them and I did hear back. They really did not have any trouble shooting just that they will send me a new one. I did try to get the stock config I choose several of the IS 350 options. They all say the same thing other than 1 that states a Canada motor. I got the prompt saying connect to the ECU yes/no. I choose yes and it said no config error and a code. I suppose this unit is bad. Things do happened I had just timed the delivery to a week when I had some extra time to deal with and enjoy this.

Since you also have a 250 what are your overall thoughts of the car after the tune?
I ended up selling mine to a member here. OV didn't have my calibration on file so. They requested me to send in my ECU, and I declined. I wish it was available though. In the meantime I'm just going to wait on tuning for now. Hopefully in the near future they are able to obtain and ECU with my calibration.
Old 08-14-17, 07:40 PM
MRKIS250
Driver School Candidate

well.... I finally got the machine to update. Ran through all the files and ran the updates. Plugged it into the car and still receive the error code that it can't find a config file on my ECU.
Old 08-14-17, 08:41 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

If it says calibration file not found. It means they don't have your ECU on file.
Old 08-16-17, 11:30 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Okay so I finally got my car tuned (7400 RPM redline, no exhaust modification, FTS mod). I have not had the time to open it up on a back road yet, but here is what I observed so far:

1. The transmission does NOT shift any faster (unless I am using the wrong tune. All the tunes I received said 'FTS' next to them and only one said 'FTS beta' but did not indicate it was for 91 octane, 93, etc. which is why I did not use it.) However, the transmission does shift smoother between gears (especially paddle downshifts). I don't know if this had to do with the tune or something else. I might have used the wrong tune. For anyone using FTS, what was the exact name of the tune you're using?
2. When the car isn't warm, it idles at 500 RPM instead of ~700-800 RPM. Not sure if this was an ECU relearning the tune type thing. I will get back to this next time I go for a drive.
3. There is improvement in throttle response. Not a night and day difference, but the throttle does feel a bit more sensitive than before I got the tune installed.

In city driving there isn't much of a difference. Hoping to go to a back road or empty highway to really see what this tune is capable of.
Old 08-21-17, 12:31 PM
MRKIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by tlts82
I ended up selling mine to a member here. OV didn't have my calibration on file so. They requested me to send in my ECU, and I declined. I wish it was available though. In the meantime I'm just going to wait on tuning for now. Hopefully in the near future they are able to obtain and ECU with my calibration.
Well it's been a week since reporting my error code. I was told there was nothing I needed to do which I took as they don't need my ecu sent in. I asked for a time frame and have not received an answer. I will probably be returning this and moving on to the next upgrade.
Old 08-22-17, 03:39 PM
svelt
Driver

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to derail the thread, but is someone able to give a rundown of whether it's worth it at all for an IS250, any reliability concerns and what the approx. price they paid for a tune is? Completely new at this. Thanks in advance.
Old 08-22-17, 03:41 PM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Well it's been a week since reporting my error code. I was told there was nothing I needed to do which I took as they don't need my ecu sent in. I asked for a time frame and have not received an answer. I will probably be returning this and moving on to the next upgrade.
You might get better responsiveness using Facebook chat; it is unfortunate that they are so bad at communicating that people give up.
Old 08-27-17, 07:32 AM
MRKIS250
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by andper10
You might get better responsiveness using Facebook chat; it is unfortunate that they are so bad at communicating that people give up.

Well all I can say is I could not agree more with there lack of communication. I could not be more frustrated. I tried for 3 weeks to work with them. When you can get there attention you could get 2 or so reply but then back to a week of nothing. I think the reason you don't see any reviews of the OV tune for 250's is they can't do it. They may be able to but they have no interest. I did also try there Facebook site and got nothing. You see all the time a new car they now claim to support but from what I have seen they may or may not. I can't say everyones not going to get a tune of of these people but I can say I would not suggest spending any money with them. Mine is on it way back for refund. Guess you get what you pay for. I'll try one of the other bigger companies and hope for better results.
Old 08-27-17, 10:38 AM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Well all I can say is I could not agree more with there lack of communication. I could not be more frustrated. I tried for 3 weeks to work with them. When you can get there attention you could get 2 or so reply but then back to a week of nothing. I think the reason you don't see any reviews of the OV tune for 250's is they can't do it. They may be able to but they have no interest. I did also try there Facebook site and got nothing. You see all the time a new car they now claim to support but from what I have seen they may or may not. I can't say everyones not going to get a tune of of these people but I can say I would not suggest spending any money with them. Mine is on it way back for refund. Guess you get what you pay for. I'll try one of the other bigger companies and hope for better results.
I had the same issue with OVT. 4 months to tell me they didn't have my ECU on file. It's redicoulos they have all the equipment to see which files your ecu has. According to OVT. Yet it takes 4 months to get an answer that the best way is to send in my ECU. After countless hours of BS answers. I gave up and sold it. It's not that they can't do it it's just they force you to send it in. Because they need to download your specific ECU calibration. There are so many different ECU's with different Calibration ID's. They know this. They'll give you all the customer satisfaction to get you to purchase the item. Then go silent after you need help. I think it's really a BS way to do business. For that fact I will never do business with them ever again. Shady way of doing it IMHO. It looks like many IS350's gave been tuned that's why it's so easy to get tune. As for the 250's so many ecu's out there that they need to get their hands on first.
Old 08-29-17, 11:06 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Wow. And I thought I had it bad having to wait 6 days for a tune they already had in stock... If I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt, it might just be that they have 3 people working and too much to do, but I don't know. It only takes a minute to reply to a message. And seeing as to how many IS250s are on the road, you'd think they would have tuned a few IS250 ECUs. Hopefully another tuning company will serve you guys better.

As for my tune for anyone seeking updates on how it performs in both daily driving and spirited driving, the car definitely pulls harder over 4000 RPM. There definitely is a noticeable difference. I thought for a while that the claim of 18-26 HP and 24-30 lb ft over stock might be a tad exaggerated, but it certainly doesn't feel like it. I still can't really tell if the transmission shifts any faster except in 2 circumstances: in manual mode (if you can call it that) upshifting at over 6500 RPM and whenever you downshift in manual mode. Or maybe it just feels faster because the transmission feels a lot smoother. I'm getting a transmission fluid flush when I change the oil next and hopefully that also helps improve it a little. As for daily driving, it feels exactly the same except for a slightly sharper throttle. To update my previous post, the low idle (500 RPM) was just the ECU relearning as it never seemed to do that again. Put about 500 miles since I got tuned. Overall I'm very satisfied.
Old 09-23-17, 09:01 AM
belac
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just checked OV's website and it looks like a lot of their products have been taken down and they no longer offer the 2IS tune.
Is this just a website glitch or did something happen with the tune and it's no longer available?
Old 09-23-17, 10:29 AM
bbaugher47

Received 224 Likes on 195 Posts

RR racing has their 2is tune as well.
Old 09-26-17, 01:28 PM
my07is350
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy

Originally Posted by belac
I just checked OV's website and it looks like a lot of their products have been taken down and they no longer offer the 2IS tune.
Is this just a website glitch or did something happen with the tune and it's no longer available?
They have it back on and it's much cheaper then when I ordered it, should have waited.
Old 09-26-17, 02:08 PM
Gville350

Received 435 Likes on 387 Posts

So all they (OV Tune) offer is the handheld tuner option. So what happens to a customer that is unable to use their handheld to upload a tune and actually use it as described? Has anyone been offered a refund?

At $400, it is very tempting! But without any support behind the offering, it's useless.

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review