Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 12:27 AM
andper10
Driver

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Adding this update from the handheld thread for those who may not have looked at it. I did not ask explicitly but I assume you could request a bench tune with 1 set of the available options if you wanted.

Originally Posted by andper10
I had a great Facebook messenger chat with OV on Wednesday to help me decide if I should buy the handheld tuner and got some details on its capabilities for the 2IS! If you experience slow response to emails, I would recommend trying Facebook chat instead. The extremely long full chat log (minus some personal details) is below for those interested. I am very impressed with all they are offering for the 2IS platform, especially considering its age!

Summary: OV is not a forum sponsor so if you want updates directly from them check their Facebook page. E85 tune (on stock fuel pump) with increased torque, 93 octane, and 91 octane tunes are all available. They have a development 3IS with 5k miles on E85 tune with the stock fuel pump. Upshift maps with increased RPM limiter up to 7400rpm (only works in S mode), torque control for shift speed (faster slightly harsher upshifts), and top speed limiter increase to 255kph (158.45mph) are available for the 2IS. The handheld can swap between different tunes with different option combinations. For example: E85 tune with 7200rpm limiter and upshift maps and torque control can be swapped with 93 octane tune with 7000rpm limiter and regular upshift behavior using the handheld (+3 more option combinations). Future standard tune updates are included in the original price. Also cam and ported cylinder head info is coming soon!
Old 04-06-17, 04:20 PM
edhohoho
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by andper10
Adding this update from the handheld thread for those who may not have looked at it. I did not ask explicitly but I assume you could request a bench tune with 1 set of the available options if you wanted.
Thanks, that was helpful. Their handheld sounds much more advanced than the DimSport one, which can only read, upload, and download (one file only).

Im just worried about ordering the remote tune as some people are having problems similar to what I had with TTFS. I asked if I could drive down and get a bench tune on the same day but never got a confirmation. Would have bought the handheld at the same time so I could make sure it worked before leaving.

Has anyone ever taken their OV tuned car for factory maintenance? Do you have to upload the stock tune file beforehand or is the tune file stable even if they try to do reset the ECU or perhaps do an update?
Old 04-06-17, 09:33 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts

I can't make any promises but I have had my car to the lexus dealership and it came back with what seemed to be the same tune. I have also reset my ecu several times without any problems. If you are worried about the handheld working right away email OV with your ecu part number and ask if they have it in their system.
Old 04-06-17, 09:44 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
I can't make any promises but I have had my car to the lexus dealership and it came back with what seemed to be the same tune. I have also reset my ecu several times without any problems. If you are worried about the handheld working right away email OV with your ecu part number and ask if they have it in their system.

Yeah I did email them, almost 30 days ago when I received my tuner. There are others with this issue as well. Finally today me ECU was added now I just have to wait for my tunes.
OVT has been very busy and are having a hard time keeping up with the demand.
Old 04-12-17, 11:12 AM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

So I finally have some evidence of how the car runs with the bench flash.
This is my 2009 IS350 with only intake and Tune vs a 2004 C5 corvette, stock is 350 HP to the flywheel, being older I am sure he is loosing a little power.

The following users liked this post:
Dimitrij30 (04-13-17)
Old 05-24-17, 05:13 PM
josephx66
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ??

@MDHLexus what ever happened to your car? I've got an 09 is250 i wanna get tuned.
Old 05-31-17, 08:19 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

It looks like you were supposed to be shipping something to them as per the email on 05/24? Did you do that?

If you have a previously tuned ECU, it is unlikely a handheld tuner would work for you.

Jeff
Old 05-31-17, 09:00 AM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real
Forum Moderator

Received 612 Likes on 406 Posts

Right, so did you ship the ECU to him as per his request on 05/24?

Jeff
Old 06-01-17, 12:47 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by josephx66
@MDHLexus what ever happened to your car? I've got an 09 is250 i wanna get tuned.
I ended up having Lexus do an intake valve cleaning, which helped the misfire situation out a little bit. But I was still misfiring around once or twice a week. I then took it to lexus after it started misfiring and heard what I thought was rod knock. After leaving it with them for a few days, the knocking sound went away so I had it towed up to the shop that I used to work at where it will be torn apart and looked at. As of now, the car turned on and ran fine around the block, but I am almost certain it will still misfire.

I bought an IS350 and I am planning on fixing the 250 and selling it. I will keep you updated on what the problem is if we ever figure it out. Maybe it's a bent valve or something.
Old 06-29-17, 01:33 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

I know it has been a long time, but has OV announced anything on the other parts they were making for the IS350 engine?
Old 08-07-17, 02:35 PM
Joelseff
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Any news on the Transmission Tune? DO the paddles work as they should? This is really all I want. I think the power of the stock is adequate for me but i HATE the tranny!!!

I am an old guy and dont do much racing anymore but like to carve canyons and touring type driving and would love better paddle shifting capabilities...or I am selling my 2is LOL
Old 08-08-17, 01:17 PM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Took forever, but I finally copied my ECU file and sent it to OV. Currently waiting on tunes to arrive!
Old 08-08-17, 01:29 PM
ShotmaKer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joelseff
Any news on the Transmission Tune? DO the paddles work as they should? This is really all I want. I think the power of the stock is adequate for me but i HATE the tranny!!!

I am an old guy and dont do much racing anymore but like to carve canyons and touring type driving and would love better paddle shifting capabilities...or I am selling my 2is LOL
From my research, nothing's available yet Would truly be a game changer for us 2is peasants if they ever came out with something.
Old 08-14-17, 11:38 AM
MRKIS250
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anyone have issues with registering the handheld? Have the software loaded,driver for the USB driver installed. Device connects says identifying device then says unconfigured device cannot use. Used windows 7 and 10 same result.
Second issue. No option for the 250. 2 pages of the 350. Do not only can I not update it but i can't even send the file of my stock ecu off to get the process moving.
Old 08-14-17, 05:07 PM
MikeFig82
Lead Lap

Received 774 Likes on 676 Posts

Email them asap to inform them about the issue. I was running windows 8 & 10 with no issues.
According to OV the list of only IS350 doesn't matter. Once you download your ECU calibration it will probably be listed as IS250.
The following users liked this post:
MRKIS250 (08-14-17)

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review