Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 05:11 PM
MDHLexus
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DickH
I'd check out all of the timing chain components first before pulling the head. What happened? Did it just start acting up out of nowhere or was it while in the upper RPM range? Can you get a video of the car acting up?
It is NOT the timing chain, everything appeared to be okay in that area, and after further evaluation of the noise, it appears to be coming from the valve train. So everyone please disregard the initial post. I will try to get a video, it essentially is just an incredibly choppy idle, with really loud valve clicking. I still have a misfire code that occasionally triggers in cylinder 4 only. We think it is possibly a damaged ECU. The absolute manifold pressure does not change.
Old 12-26-16, 05:53 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts

Have you checked out under the valve covers?
Old 12-26-16, 06:57 PM
aventur2
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gville350
When it comes to E85, you have to be able to flow up to 30% more fuel through the motor. So even if you were "tuned" for it, more than likely you'd lean out in the higher rpms due to lack of fuel delivery. That's why an aftermarket high pressure fuel pump will be necessary...along with the tune of course.
True, but the benefit of running it in a stock fuel system is that the motor will stay at peak timing. According to OV.
Old 12-30-16, 07:57 AM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MDHLexus
I have a IS250 tuned to 7400 RPM, and my car is now not drivable unfortunately. I am not sure if this is directly related to the tune, or what. The timing chain is slipping once the car fully warms up. It is a god awful sound and the whole car begins to shake. I will begin taking apart the head today and let you know of the findings. Or if anyone has any thoughts or suggestions feel free to let me know!
It is NOT the timing chain, everything appeared to be okay in that area, and after further evaluation of the noise, it appears to be coming from the valve train. So everyone please disregard the initial post. I will try to get a video, it essentially is just an incredibly choppy idle, with really loud valve clicking. I still have a misfire code that occasionally triggers in cylinder 4 only. We think it is possibly a damaged ECU. The absolute manifold pressure does not change.
Any new updates on why your engine took a nose dive? Do you still think it has to due with a damaged ECU (or connectors) or do you think the higher 7,400 RPM contributed to the engine problems you're experiencing?
Old 12-30-16, 09:51 AM
Kmasyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I have about 100 miles on the tune and I can absolutely say it's 100% worth it!

Normal driving under 3k RPM is basically the same, I believe I can sense an increase in torque at light throttle. When at part to moderate throttle I can definitely feel the increased power. The engine sounds like it's breathing harder, I do not notice much of a difference in exhaust sounds from the inside. The throttle feels more direct and I no longer have much of a "dead" feeling when leaning into the throttle at moderate throttle like before. When in manual shift mode, for example 3.5-4k RPM in any gear and I give throttle it is much more direct and I can feel the instant torque when before the power would come on slowly. Most importantly at full throttle performance is significantly improved. I have to think before stabbing the throttle especially in 1st and 2nd because it will break loose much easier. I do not have any hard data to backup the performance increase. I will try and get a good 0-60 video this weekend. I believe it is easily under 5 seconds. On a side note I believe my exhaust tips are staying cleaner as a result of the leaner tune.

Car specs: 07 is350 RWD, 172k miles, Joe-z intake tube, Tanabe axle back, OV flashed ECU (7k RPM limit in sport mode)

I am looking forward to the upcoming OV intake system and transmission tuning.
Old 12-30-16, 10:26 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmasyl
Well I have about 100 miles on the tune and I can absolutely say it's 100% worth it!

Normal driving under 3k RPM is basically the same, I believe I can sense an increase in torque at light throttle. When at part to moderate throttle I can definitely feel the increased power. The engine sounds like it's breathing harder, I do not notice much of a difference in exhaust sounds from the inside. The throttle feels more direct and I no longer have much of a "dead" feeling when leaning into the throttle at moderate throttle like before. When in manual shift mode, for example 3.5-4k RPM in any gear and I give throttle it is much more direct and I can feel the instant torque when before the power would come on slowly. Most importantly at full throttle performance is significantly improved. I have to think before stabbing the throttle especially in 1st and 2nd because it will break loose much easier. I do not have any hard data to backup the performance increase. I will try and get a good 0-60 video this weekend. I believe it is easily under 5 seconds. On a side note I believe my exhaust tips are staying cleaner as a result of the leaner tune.

Car specs: 07 is350 RWD, 172k miles, Joe-z intake tube, Tanabe axle back, OV flashed ECU (7k RPM limit in sport mode)

I am looking forward to the upcoming OV intake system and transmission tuning.
Great to hear you like it! Im still surprised by the tune myself, and I've had it for about 1000 miles now lol. I've been finding any and every excuse to drive my car

As a matter of fact I just went out to try and learn how to launch it properly and I think I finally got it! I did a baby launch from around 1200 rpm while easing into the throttle (traction control completely off) and also managed to nail the 1st and 2nd gear shift at 7400rpm! I was blown away by how quick the car felt, I made the tires chirp in both gear changes lol. My tires aren't ideal though being 235 out back but still, the car felt really quick in that instance. 1000% worth it!
Old 12-30-16, 07:29 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Create a new thread when you can and dive into this new "issue". Did you ever have the valve spring recall performed on your car?
The following users liked this post:
MDHLexus (01-04-17)
Old 12-30-16, 07:48 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Here's an acceleration video I did about two weeks ago. I had a passenger recording it (and were both heavy lol). I will also mention that I didn't fully step on it till about 10mph since this was when I was still slammed. I also shifted late in each gear as you can hear me bounce off the limiter in the video.. Fail. Regardless, hopefully this helps you guys get an idea for the acceleration with the tune. The car really pulls stronger up top and this video was only a pull to about 95mph. Anyway, enjoy

The following 2 users liked this post by Tro209:
MDHLexus (01-04-17), Rezno (12-31-16)
Old 12-31-16, 01:05 AM
Rezno
Lead Lap

Received 25 Likes on 23 Posts

Just saw the video and its clear there is some improvement. Based on what I saw (Being very optimistic. All estimates. I slowed down the video just to make sure I'm at least sort of accurate.):

0-40: 2.3 - 2.5 sec (2.7 stock)
0-60: 4.7 - 4.8 sec (4.8 - 5.1 stock)
0-80: 7.5 - 7.9 sec (8 - 8.5 stock)
0-95: 11.6 - 11.9 sec (~12 stock)

1st gear: 7400 RPM at ~38 - 39 mph
2nd gear: 7400 RPM at ~63 - 65 mph
3rd gear: 7400 RPM at ~96 - 98 mph

3rd gear is literally almost at 100 mph. I take it if it revved to 7600 it would be over that and 0-40 would be a bit faster due to 0-40 all being in 1st gear, preventing increased time from an additional shift. Which is ridiculous. Hopefully when they make internals that can rev safely higher we can see that. That 2GR has a lot of potential.

Honestly you didn't do a bad job at timing the shifts. I take it if there was no lag at all in shifting and if you went full throttle from 0 with no wheelspin, it could improve the 0-95 / 0-100 times by maybe .5 - 1.2 seconds and the 0-40 / 0-60 times by .1 - .25 seconds. Initial launch is probably what slowed down the 0-40 and 0-60 time a little bit. I'll be honest I was expecting a possible 4.5 second 0-60, which was clearly my mistake. My expectation that most of the impact of the tune would take place at higher speeds was probably a bit more accurate lol. Still though, this is incredible from a tune that hasn't been out for very long without many other performance parts added to the car yet. Now if only that transmission shifted faster so shifts don't take such a long time...

Was the video recorded with stability control off? And what RPM did you launch from? Curious.

Other than all my thoughts, awesome job man!
The following users liked this post:
MDHLexus (01-04-17)
Old 12-31-16, 01:21 AM
Robertring
Driver School Candidate

I got my 2015 IS250 F Sport tuned recently and it added about 20/20 HP/TQ.

I also added on the Invidia axelback and F Sport Air intake - Love the sound of both. The tune broke in after about 1000 miles and I really love the result. Theres a stronger pull in the 4-6 RPM range. It's nice.
Old 12-31-16, 01:37 AM
aventur2
Rookie

Originally Posted by Tro209
Here's an acceleration video I did about two weeks ago. I had a passenger recording it (and were both heavy lol). I will also mention that I didn't fully step on it till about 10mph since this was when I was still slammed. I also shifted late in each gear as you can hear me bounce off the limiter in the video.. Fail. Regardless, hopefully this helps you guys get an idea for the acceleration with the tune. The car really pulls stronger up top and this video was only a pull to about 95mph. Anyway, enjoy

https://youtu.be/NtQdrxyW818
Nice run, I can't even go close to WOT in 1st gear my tires are really bad now lol.
Old 12-31-16, 06:11 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Rezno
Just saw the video and its clear there is some improvement. Based on what I saw (Being very optimistic. All estimates. I slowed down the video just to make sure I'm at least sort of accurate.):

0-40: 2.3 - 2.5 sec (2.7 stock)
0-60: 4.7 - 4.8 sec (4.8 - 5.1 stock)
0-80: 7.5 - 7.9 sec (8 - 8.5 stock)
0-95: 11.6 - 11.9 sec (~12 stock)

1st gear: 7400 RPM at ~38 - 39 mph
2nd gear: 7400 RPM at ~63 - 65 mph
3rd gear: 7400 RPM at ~96 - 98 mph

3rd gear is literally almost at 100 mph. I take it if it revved to 7600 it would be over that and 0-40 would be a bit faster due to 0-40 all being in 1st gear, preventing increased time from an additional shift. Which is ridiculous. Hopefully when they make internals that can rev safely higher we can see that. That 2GR has a lot of potential.

Honestly you didn't do a bad job at timing the shifts. I take it if there was no lag at all in shifting and if you went full throttle from 0 with no wheelspin, it could improve the 0-95 / 0-100 times by maybe .5 - 1.2 seconds and the 0-40 / 0-60 times by .1 - .25 seconds. Initial launch is probably what slowed down the 0-40 and 0-60 time a little bit. I'll be honest I was expecting a possible 4.5 second 0-60, which was clearly my mistake. My expectation that most of the impact of the tune would take place at higher speeds was probably a bit more accurate lol. Still though, this is incredible from a tune that hasn't been out for very long without many other performance parts added to the car yet. Now if only that transmission shifted faster so shifts don't take such a long time...

Was the video recorded with stability control off? And what RPM did you launch from? Curious.

Other than all my thoughts, awesome job man!
The crazy thing is that I didn't even launch the car, it was just me staying in 1st gear manually and stepping on it at 10mph. I still had traction control and all that on too AND I had a passenger (and once again, we ain't light either LOL) I'm fairly confident that the 0-100 time with a proper launch, zero wheelspin, traction off, perfect timed shifts, and no passenger is at the very least a full second faster. But that's just my guess from what I see and feel from driving the car. What's really great is that OV's transmission tune is coming next month which will allow us to Rev to 7400 in "D" auto so that shifting will never be an excuse. And as you know, the IS350 is always faster in auto vs manual so this along with improved shifting should definitely help.

As for stability, I've only ever driven the car ONCE without traction and that was yesterday when I was practicing launching the car (in preparation for my eventual 1/4 mile run next month) and if you read my post a few posts above, I managed to launch the car yesterday morning at around 1200 rpm with perfect timed shifts and OMG the car felt quick lol. Not saying it's ISF status or anything because it obviously isn't, but for a V6 it's Damn quick.
Old 12-31-16, 06:20 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by aventur2
Nice run, I can't even go close to WOT in 1st gear my tires are really bad now lol.
Thanks , I'm guessing you drive with stability off? I can't do that and feel safe in this car hahaha. My tires aren't bald either, just not "optimal".
Old 01-03-17, 05:40 PM
Kmasyl
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I am told dyno results with OV's new carbon induction intake with larger MAF will be released Friday!
Old 01-03-17, 08:33 PM
Dimitrij30
Driver School Candidate

Hopefully it will make the car sound even meaner, 3-5 whp is realistic from this carbon induction intake with larger MAF. Anyone thinks it can deliver 8-12whp?

Quick Reply: Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review