Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Ovtune ECU tuning experience/review

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 10:53 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Oh wow, I tried to find it a bit back and couldn't find it. Guess they do still sell it. My bad.
I have it and still think it works very well. had it a couple years now and have had no issues.
The following users liked this post:
MD3 (01-18-20)
Old 01-17-20, 10:56 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Nice! I'm definitely interested, did you see a noticeable difference in throttle response and did horsepower increase at all?
Old 01-17-20, 11:00 PM
B00M3R
Driver

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I still have not dynoed it so I can't say numbers but with my butt dyno i noticed a difference running a 93 octane tune with PPE headers and stock exhaust with F sport intake. Also if you go with the paddle shifters in a race, you can have the rev limiter raised and that makes a huge difference.
Old 01-17-20, 11:48 PM
MD3
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Sounds like it's probably worth the $$, I'll have think about pulling the trigger on it. Thanks for the feedback!
Old 01-20-20, 01:06 PM
buister
Pit Crew

Received 50 Likes on 34 Posts

Originally Posted by B00M3R
Oh wow, I tried to find it a bit back and couldn't find it. Guess they do still sell it. My bad.
I have it and still think it works very well. had it a couple years now and have had no issues.
Still have mine too without issues. I particularly like the 7200 rpm red line. If you're racing, I recommend manually shift it at 7100. The car has no more pull at 7200.
Old 02-01-20, 01:26 PM
Icetrai350
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts

Hey everyone, I just ordered my OV tune and I already have the RR tune. This may seem redundant however, I am someone who likes to push and explore. The new OV stuff looks promising as their software/hardware is open. You can bring it to your tuner and they can work their magic oppose to having to play a data/email game. Right now there is a promotional code going on for a sale and I managed to save some money. I'll be getting a tune in April likely mid April to be exact as the weather isn't decent north of Toronto until then. When I get things going I'll be sure to provide information. Also back to the RR racing stuff, I love their products and their push for excellence but I'm an information dude and like to see what is going on so this setup is more suited to my liking. RR rocks however this OV stuff could have the edge. Cheers!
The following 2 users liked this post by Icetrai350:
IZA350c (11-04-21), Ultra4 (02-03-20)
Old 02-03-20, 01:04 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Icetrai350
Hey everyone, I just ordered my OV tune and I already have the RR tune. This may seem redundant however, I am someone who likes to push and explore. The new OV stuff looks promising as their software/hardware is open. You can bring it to your tuner and they can work their magic oppose to having to play a data/email game. Right now there is a promotional code going on for a sale and I managed to save some money. I'll be getting a tune in April likely mid April to be exact as the weather isn't decent north of Toronto until then. When I get things going I'll be sure to provide information. Also back to the RR racing stuff, I love their products and their push for excellence but I'm an information dude and like to see what is going on so this setup is more suited to my liking. RR rocks however this OV stuff could have the edge. Cheers!
When you get your OVtune and have time to do real-world testing to figure out the differences, create a thread and let us know your impressions of the two.
Old 02-10-20, 11:15 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

So I just finished emailing with Mathew from OV about compatibility with the 4GR-FSE, since it's not listed on their site.
The long and short of it is that their tablets will work in the IS250 application, but they don't have any canned tunes for it yet, and the handhelds are out of stock due to supply issues. Their software suite is still in the works.

This is going to save me so much time...
Old 02-27-20, 07:35 PM
wrightbenz
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mike33
As tro209 stated, get the rev limit increase (7000 or 7200rpm) to work in auto mode... Also having the paddle shifters working as true manual shifters instead of gear limiters would be great...

Thanks for all your efforts.
I may be missing something here. I get that the trans will shift for you when your trying to use the paddles. But if I slide my shifter to the left into manual and use the paddles to shift it seems to allow very good control with the paddles. Just switching to sport mode does not but moving the actual shifter to manual works great ! Pics of my recently acquired IS250 by the way !

Old 02-28-20, 03:04 AM
Icetrai350
Driver

Received 23 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Ov tuned skepticism

I had ordered the tuning tablet from OV for a February deal but have not received shipping information or much of a response in regards to if they'll even ship it. The only response I recieved was we're working on getting all orders out. No formal email just that message on FB messenger. I proceed to check their website and bam.... they dont even offer the product anymore... so what's going on should I request a refund or call my CC company? Are they reputable? because I was looking forward to this possibility but now I'm leaning toward stand alone. RR is too locked down and I need a flexible interface.
Old 02-28-20, 06:32 AM
Ultra4
Intermediate

Received 97 Likes on 84 Posts

Well, I was wiling to backorder and wait on a handheld at the end of my convo with Mathew, but the site wouldn't allow backorders...checking a few days later, the products were removed altogether. My assumption is that the previously mentioned supply issues they were having with the handhelds is to blame, and with the disruptions over there (HK, tariffs, COVID19), there isn't any way to predict when things will level out. I'm just over here tapping my foot, waiting for either handhelds to be orderable, or them to release their software.

I'm a little worried it'll be April+, and by then all the wiring info I crammed into my head while cutting up these harnesses will be mostly gone...
Old 02-28-20, 10:23 AM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

Yeah, I'd assume they'd pull through on the product; it's just that you'll have to wait for them to get them in-stock.

Like many websites in general, they probably removed them from the site as they cannot guarantee a speedy processing of the order, due to the product "back-order".
Old 02-28-20, 10:30 AM
tmiller43
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I received a response from Matt regarding the tune being pulled. Production has been affected by the Coronavirus and they don't have a set date as of right now.
Old 02-28-20, 06:12 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by wrightbenz
I may be missing something here. I get that the trans will shift for you when your trying to use the paddles. But if I slide my shifter to the left into manual and use the paddles to shift it seems to allow very good control with the paddles. Just switching to sport mode does not but moving the actual shifter to manual works great ! Pics of my recently acquired IS250 by the way !

The shifting limitations apply to the 2nd gen IS with the 6spd auto. The 3rd gen IS that you have has
the upgraded 8spd auto with true direct shifting via the sport paddles... One of the main reasons I
moved on from the 2is to the ISF was for the 8spd auto with rev matching, it is a tremendous upgrade.