Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

2006-2013 IS350 Bolt ons and tune. N/A 300+ Rwhp!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-16, 04:05 PM
gt500tony
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2006-2013 IS350 Bolt ons and tune. N/A 300+ Rwhp!

Well now that we are able to tune these 2is is350 I'm very excited

Up until now with the is350 we haven't been able to properly extract power.
The second gen IS350 is one of the top performing lexus models.
It has more capabilities than all gs350. And is right there with the 3is.

Capable of 0-60 in 4.7 seconds stock with traction off (search youtube there are videos of 0-60 runs of 4.6 and 4.7 all day.) And with bolt on performance mods like PPE headers with ppe/joez true dual exhaust with cold air intake there are even quicker 280+rwhp 0-60 and 1/4 is350.

Now we can tune there should be some true quick n/a is350 running around.
I wont be surprised to see a increase of is350 hitting up the 1/4 now.

With a good intake manifold/ headers/ exhaust/.cold air/ engine and transmission tune from which ever company you choose.
Very quick automatic v6 n/a sedan. These is350 are dig monsters and love to give you good 60ft with meaty tires. They do well even in street trim. So easy to brake launch at 1800-2000 rpm. Love to see one with With 300+rwhp N/A. And the best torque curve you'll see in a 3.5 v6. Will see some mid 12 second is350 for sure.

Supercharging and turbo are also viable options now despite high compression.

Im saving up what I can (got wife and kids)
But I cant wait to buy all the bolt ons and get a tune.

The is350 will be a sleeper for sure. Nows a good time for is350 owners.

what do you guys think? Excited or meh.

I'm personally excited and cant wait to see some guys post up dynos tune who already have all the bolt ons.

Your friendly neighborhood Asian
Tony
Old 05-17-16, 07:04 PM
Gville350

Received 429 Likes on 383 Posts

Glad you found out about the available tuning options. Couple the PPE headers and dual exhaust and a tune with weight reduction...FAST!
Old 05-17-16, 11:44 PM
DickH
Intermediate

Received 51 Likes on 45 Posts

Part of why I chose the is350 was that it is a very nice car that isn't too slow and didn't have a lot of room to grow power wise. I wanted a DD not another project car and the lack of options with the is350 was somehow a large selling point. Well since owning the car as with any enthusiast I feel the need to poke at it and the ability to tune it is encouraging. However I don't really see the car making a lot of power (maybe good power for a NA v6) and being any sort of sleeper. Even at some very optimistic 320hp at the wheel the car hits its cap at or below where newer sport cars start out at. The 4.7 second 0-60 is nice when compared to other daily driver choices however at a track a 60ft of ~2 seconds is hardly impressive. The car doesn't launch hard, it just has steep gearing which only goes so far. But its all ok, I don't mind as I like that the car doesn't feel harsh or cheap. Of course ill probably still put in the unnecessary effort to get a little bit more HP but I honestly think that there might be more fun for the money investing into the suspension of these cars.
Old 05-18-16, 01:47 AM
gt500tony
Rookie

Originally Posted by DickH
Part of why I chose the is350 was that it is a very nice car that isn't too slow and didn't have a lot of room to grow power wise. I wanted a DD not another project car and the lack of options with the is350 was somehow a large selling point. Well since owning the car as with any enthusiast I feel the need to poke at it and the ability to tune it is encouraging. However I don't really see the car making a lot of power (maybe good power for a NA v6) and being any sort of sleeper. Even at some very optimistic 320hp at the wheel the car hits its cap at or below where newer sport cars start out at. The 4.7 second 0-60 is nice when compared to other daily driver choices however at a track a 60ft of ~2 seconds is hardly impressive. The car doesn't launch hard, it just has steep gearing which only goes so far. But its all ok, I don't mind as I like that the car doesn't feel harsh or cheap. Of course ill probably still put in the unnecessary effort to get a little bit more HP but I honestly think that there might be more fun for the money investing into the suspension of these cars.
You have to remember to keep it in perspective. AS far a sleeper goes these are great.

You have no idea what the average nissan 350z/infiniti g35 guys go through just to get a little over 300 rwhp n/a.

Now with just a tune and some bolt ons the is350 can hit probably over 300rwhp N/A from a 3.5 v6.

There are faster cars. But a lot of high performance cars---especially with class (used ten year old lexus class in my case lol)---- tend to break down quite often. Or they are very pricey to maintain. I switched from ford to toyota because i got sick of constantly having little things always go wrong on my daily driver.

Also these cars can pull 60ft 1.9-2.0 on street tires with out trying.

A further perspective. If a second gen is350 can 'stock'muster out 4.7 0-60 and 13.4 1/4. I think a n/a 30-40 rwhp gain with a increase in redline to 7200 rpm will help give you a nice daily driver.

Last edited by gt500tony; 05-18-16 at 01:54 AM.
Old 05-18-16, 06:32 PM
Gville350

Check out out my sig for a near 2.0 flat 60ft on street tires and FULL interior AND full junk in the trunk.
Old 05-19-16, 06:43 AM
badx33
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome Tony, yes this car has potential and looks good. I raced alot of cars on the highway from a 40mph start and it can hold its own. Three of my best and closes races was against and Evo10 stock, 135i with a tune and with another is350 with bolt-ons. Really looking forward to getting the ECU tune to maybe pass the 300whp mark.
Old 05-20-16, 09:50 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Love my IS350 very comfortable and good power. Very reponsive with intake, midepipe, Tanabe Axle muffler. My next mod PPE header.

Old 05-20-16, 09:59 PM
MWIS350
Lexus Champion

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 05-21-16, 08:48 AM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by gt500tony
You have to remember to keep it in perspective. AS far a sleeper goes these are great.

You have no idea what the average nissan 350z/infiniti g35 guys go through just to get a little over 300 rwhp n/a.

Now with just a tune and some bolt ons the is350 can hit probably over 300rwhp N/A from a 3.5 v6.

There are faster cars. But a lot of high performance cars---especially with class (used ten year old lexus class in my case lol)---- tend to break down quite often. Or they are very pricey to maintain. I switched from ford to toyota because i got sick of constantly having little things always go wrong on my daily driver.

Also these cars can pull 60ft 1.9-2.0 on street tires with out trying.

A further perspective. If a second gen is350 can 'stock'muster out 4.7 0-60 and 13.4 1/4. I think a n/a 30-40 rwhp gain with a increase in redline to 7200 rpm will help give you a nice daily driver.
Actually the 350z HR (I think thats the 07 and 08) has a 3.5 v6 making 306hp stock like us but they have a much higher redline from factory (7500rpm). I've seen plenty of HR 350z over the 300whp mark N/A. It's a very stout motor and I'm honestly a little jealous of them that they can Rev so damn high. I know a guy with one and his tune let's him Rev to 7800rpm!! And he makes power the entire way there. They got top end that matches v8's unlike our cars which are only good for digs or low mph races. That's not to bash the IS350, I love my car and I'm sure the new tunes with the increased 7200rpm redline help quite a bit but when it comes down to apples to apples the HR engine is just superior in my head. Hell, I've seen them run with LS2 GTO's from a roll and stick right with them if not beat them and that's all without even going Turbo or whatever.

Now back to the topic, yeah I'm sure we can hit over 300whp but thats gonna require intake, cat back, headers, and a tune. So basically every mod for our cars there is lol. Maybe in the future RR Racing or someone can create more aftermarket parts for our cars to help increase power but for the foreseeable future I think that's it honestly.
Old 05-21-16, 03:09 PM
saturdays
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by MWIS350
Love my IS350 very comfortable and good power. Very reponsive with intake, midepipe, Tanabe Axle muffler. My next mod PPE header.

Where did you buy the spoiler, diffuser, and exhaust?
Old 05-21-16, 04:30 PM
TsunamiF
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Tro209
Actually the 350z HR (I think thats the 07 and 08) has a 3.5 v6 making 306hp stock like us but they have a much higher redline from factory (7500rpm). I've seen plenty of HR 350z over the 300whp mark N/A. It's a very stout motor and I'm honestly a little jealous of them that they can Rev so damn high. I know a guy with one and his tune let's him Rev to 7800rpm!! And he makes power the entire way there. They got top end that matches v8's unlike our cars which are only good for digs or low mph races. That's not to bash the IS350, I love my car and I'm sure the new tunes with the increased 7200rpm redline help quite a bit but when it comes down to apples to apples the HR engine is just superior in my head. Hell, I've seen them run with LS2 GTO's from a roll and stick right with them if not beat them and that's all without even going Turbo or whatever.
No need to be jealous of that engine. The only thing the VQ35HR has going for it is a higher redline but the 2GR-FSE is a more efficient engine overall. The 2GR-FSE produces peak torque much sooner than the VQ and maintains most of the peak torque throughout the powerband (90% of its torque is produced from 2000 RPM). The 2GR-FSE also has a much higher compression ratio (11.8 vs 10.6) as well as both direct and port injection from the D4S system.

A 3rd party forum debated on which was the better motor (2GR-FSE vs VQ35HR) and the unanimous votes went to the 2GR-FSE as being the best in its class: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-engine-37275/

When Road and Track compared the Lexus IS350 to the Infinity G35 with the VQ35HR motor, the IS350 decimated the G35 in both 0-60 and the 1/4 mile.

With the new tune that's available, max horsepower is available from 6000 RPM to 7000+ RPMs. This makes the 2GR-FSE extremely potent at both low-and-high RPMs.
Old 05-21-16, 06:13 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by TsunamiF
No need to be jealous of that engine. The only thing the VQ35HR has going for it is a higher redline but the 2GR-FSE is a more efficient engine overall. The 2GR-FSE produces peak torque much sooner than the VQ and maintains most of the peak torque throughout the powerband (90% of its torque is produced from 2000 RPM). The 2GR-FSE also has a much higher compression ratio (11.8 vs 10.6) as well as both direct and port injection from the D4S system.

A 3rd party forum debated on which was the better motor (2GR-FSE vs VQ35HR) and the unanimous votes went to the 2GR-FSE as being the best in its class: http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/f...-engine-37275/

When Road and Track compared the Lexus IS350 to the Infinity G35 with the VQ35HR motor, the IS350 decimated the G35 in both 0-60 and the 1/4 mile.

With the new tune that's available, max horsepower is available from 6000 RPM to 7000+ RPMs. This makes the 2GR-FSE extremely potent at both low-and-high RPMs.
Wow thanks for that link, that was a very interesting read. And on a GM site of all things lol.

As for the whole 2gr vs VQHR I still think the VQ's are the overall better motors for performance. They Rev higher than a tuned 2GR, even higher if they get tuned. They have a lower compression so they can be boosted more easily than our 2gr's and on top of that there are tons of dyno charts available that prove just how well these engine respond to mods. Even there tunes get them higher gains to wheel on average than that of our IS350 when tuned. I'm not saying the 2gr isnt great, because it most definitely is impressive. We make more torque than the Vq35hr and even Vq37hr, we make our power and torque sooner then they do BUT we're still just not as potent for some reason. I don't know why exactly either.. Yeah I'm sure now that we can Rev up to 7000+ we can hit that magical 300whp mark but I don't see it going anywhere after that. I'm hoping I'm wrong though, and hoping that maybe in the future there will be a little more possibilities with this engine but seeing as how not many companies are interested in making aftermarket parts for our cars it seems unlikely that anymore progress will ever be made

Still, I am glad that tuning is now an official thing we can do. I just now only hope for a transmission tune of some sort to allow us to shift like the newer IS's and ISF do. Or at least for a tune that allows the car to exploit it's new higher Redline while in automatic. Until then I'm still perfectly content with my cars performance. Having a nice exhaust along with a good intake made my car more enjoyable to drive for sure. Also my BC coil overs as well
Old 05-21-16, 06:40 PM
Gville350

The VQ motors just seem to be better when modded because they've been able to tune them for years. We just now started being able to tune ours; so who knows what might happen another 10yrs down the road with these motors! Only time will tell!
Old 05-21-16, 07:32 PM
Tro209
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by Gville350
The VQ motors just seem to be better when modded because they've been able to tune them for years. We just now started being able to tune ours; so who knows what might happen another 10yrs down the road with these motors! Only time will tell!
Yeah that is true. I guess we will just ha e to wait and see
Old 05-26-16, 10:09 AM
IS3504life
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This thread is AWESOME, thx everyone! Time to get building!

Quick Reply: 2006-2013 IS350 Bolt ons and tune. N/A 300+ Rwhp!