Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

PPE/Mazzuri Header Performance Gain Discussion

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 05:16 PM
rw3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default PPE/Mazzuri Header Performance Gain Discussion

Originally Posted by ms2619
Joe Z full exhaust with some PPE headers on a IS350 with this tune should make some good numbers!
PPE Headers or Mazzuri have shown to make little to no power on a few different IS350s....
Old 03-28-16, 12:18 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rw3
PPE Headers or Mazzuri have shown to make little to no power on a few different IS350s....
Huh?? PPE Headers consistently have made 15-20WHP on IS350s. I wouldn't consider that to be "little or no power." Not much else out there (aside from F/I) making that much additional power.
Old 03-29-16, 07:19 AM
rw3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZ JB
Huh?? PPE Headers consistently have made 15-20WHP on IS350s. I wouldn't consider that to be "little or no power." Not much else out there (aside from F/I) making that much additional power.
I was waiting for the "infamous" AZ JB to reply to my comment about the PPEs not making any additional HP.....

Please do a "before tune" dyno with the headers on a completely stock car if possible. There have been multiple people who have shown that the headers do not show any improvement in power despite the dyno sheet on PPEs website. I have a local friend who is a Certified Lexus Master Mechanic (including the LFA) and when doing logging, it showed that the MAF flow was the same stock vs. Maruzzi.

MAF Post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post3693529

Dynos with the Mazzuri Super:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post3438905

and

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post3465236
Old 03-29-16, 01:08 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by rw3
Please do a "before tune" dyno with the headers on a completely stock car if possible. There have been multiple people who have shown that the headers do not show any improvement in power despite the dyno sheet on PPEs website. I have a local friend who is a Certified Lexus Master Mechanic (including the LFA) and when doing logging, it showed that the MAF flow was the same stock vs. Maruzzi.
Not that this is the appropriate thread to start a discussion about headers.... But

You do realize that Maruzzi, which is out of business, is a different company than PPE ???
All the links you posted are a thread about the Maruzzi header for the is350, which did show some gains in the mid range, but did not show much in the peak numbers...

Now, if you do have links in regards to PPE not showing gains please provide that, instead of using data from the Maruzzi header to justify tarnishing a differently designed header made by PPE.

PPE provided a documented dyno to back up the numbers they claim... Maruzzi never provided dyno results showing any major peak numbers for the is350 and was open and honest about the results, he even tried a re-design, but it did not work well. Maruzzi also had problems with a cel from the o2 sensor that he was unable to resolve... PPE provided a solution to the cel as well as the increased hp & tq... Again, if you have some data on the PPE that refutes their claims please provide that.

Last edited by Jeff Lange; 03-29-16 at 01:47 PM.
Old 03-29-16, 01:16 PM
rw3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by mike33
Not that this is the appropriate thread to start a discussion about headers.... But

You do realize that Maruzzi, which is out of business, is a different company than PPE ???
All the links you posted are a thread about the Maruzzi header for the is350, which did show some gains in the mid range, but did not show much in the peak numbers...

Now, if you do have links in regards to PPE not showing gains please provide that, instead of using data from the Maruzzi header to justify tarnishing a differently designed header made by PPE.

PPE provided a documented dyno to back up the numbers they claim... Maruzzi never provided dyno results showing any major peak numbers for the is350 and was open and honest about the results, he even tried a re-design, but it did not work well. Maruzzi also had problems with a cel from the o2 sensor that he was unable to resolve... PPE provided a solution to the cel as well as the increased hp & tq... Again, if you have some data on the PPE that refutes their claims please provide that.
If you can provide me/us with a dyno from an independent source of the fact that PPE Headers on the IS350/GS350 make more HP and TQ than the factory manifolds, I will then believe the claim. Whether it is Mazurri or PPE, the header designs are much the same. Also, if you look at the CFM readouts from the MAF thread, you will see that the motor isn't breathing any better with the Mazurri headers installed on the vehicle.

I'm not going to spend $700+ on parts when there is proof from the logs of a Master Lexus Mechanic using the TechStream to show that the engine ISN'T ingesting more air...

To my knowledge, there is only a singular dyno for the PPEs showing gains and it comes from PPE themselves. So until another shop/user shows these, I will say they don't make power, because it hasn't been backed up by ANY independent source.
Old 03-29-16, 02:10 PM
Jeff Lange
Keeping it Real

Received 584 Likes on 393 Posts

I believe AZ JB had his own car tested with the PPE headers back in 2009. There were a couple of other dyno results posted by other members as well.

Regardless, this isn't appropriate discussion for the thread it was happening in, I've moved it to its own thread.

Jeff
Old 03-29-16, 02:21 PM
Gville350

Received 430 Likes on 384 Posts

My '06 IS350 was stock (minus a hot air intake), added PPE headers, and it immediately opened up the mid to upper rpm range. No need for me to dyno it because I KNOW I gained WHP. One familiar enough with their car that drives it everyday for 5yrs should notice a slight change in anything with the car.
Old 03-29-16, 02:41 PM
mike33
Intermediate

Received 55 Likes on 44 Posts

Thanks moderators for moving this from the tuning section...

rw3,

I agree with you that it would be great to see more dyno results from the PPE headers for the is350... They have shown a gain on the isf that has been backed up by many members, so I do feel that there is a gain for the is350 as well, primarily because of the deletion of the primary cats but also because of the equal length tubing. I'm not sure if the maruzzi used equal length tubing but to me the PPE and Maruzzi are quite a bit different in design, and I think that maybe reflected in the dyno result as well.

If you want to use the Maruzzi header data to draw a conclusion that no other header will show improvement, and therefore PPE must be making false claims, so be it... But you are drawing a conclusion of "proof" about PPE's product based on the data from Maruzzi's and thats not a correct way to assess the PPE's...

Hopefully this thread will get members who have the PPE's on the is350 to provide more data and feedback that will help others who may have concerns or doubts about the gains of ppe headers.
Old 03-30-16, 12:36 PM
AZ JB
Advanced

Originally Posted by rw3
I was waiting for the "infamous" AZ JB to reply to my comment about the PPEs not making any additional HP.....

MAF Post:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post3693529

Dynos with the Mazzuri Super:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post3438905

and

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...ml#post3465236
LOL, I am not sure if I am supposed to take being called infamous as a compliment or not . I make claims based on evidence that I have to back it up. In this case, it is my own car with an independent dyno done on it before and after header install. Now sure how much more evidence you need..?

Also, you are posting links to a completely different set of headers then PPE. Mazzuri is a different company with a different design, just as Mike already pointed out.

Originally Posted by Jeff Lange
I believe AZ JB had his own car tested with the PPE headers back in 2009. There were a couple of other dyno results posted by other members as well.

Regardless, this isn't appropriate discussion for the thread it was happening in, I've moved it to its own thread.

Jeff
This is 100% correct. It was MY car with an independent dyno being done, and I posted a BEFORE header and AFTER header dyno comparison.
Old 03-30-16, 01:18 PM
Icy350
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its been long proven that PPE is the only company that make headers with proven gains on the high end for the IS350. If one does not want to believe such claims then thats completely up to you, but facts are facts.

Granted, we dont know what little for you could be.

PPE makes +16 WHP. is it a proven gain? yes.

Does 16 constitute as a large or small gain? Thats completely up to you.
Old 03-30-16, 02:08 PM
Gville350

Largest "bolt-on" power-to-dollar mod for our vehicles really, minus the NEWLY available tuning options.
Old 04-13-16, 08:29 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Just an IS250 guy passing through and thought I would say hi.

My Mazzuri headers have well over 100,000 miles now. Some bottom end gains. Also don't discount the overall weight saving. Sure I would have loved to slap headers on and get massive gains but not possible back in the day with no tuning options.

Good luck!
Old 04-14-16, 01:47 PM
Gville350

^Thanks for the post! Not many Mazzuri header owners still floating around.
Old 04-15-16, 10:19 AM
ShotmaKer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

From what I gather, the PPE ones seems to be yielding some potent gains and this has been backed up by other members... I'm personally looking at getting a PPE/tune combo in the future. Still waiting what they can come up with, if anything at all, for the transmission though.
Old 04-16-16, 08:07 AM
Gaugster
Advanced

Originally Posted by Gville350
^Thanks for the post! Not many Mazzuri header owners still floating around.
No worries. Have a lot of respect for Mazzuri given his support for IS over the years. So I am happy to represent this era of the 2nd Gen IS.

Quick Reply: PPE/Mazzuri Header Performance Gain Discussion