Performance Forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

IS200t tune

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 04:13 PM
OrangeVirus Tuning
Driver

Received 198 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by idleninjaz
How's the development progressing?
It's been going a little slower than we expected, but we have made good progress, and should have every pending file wrapped up by monday. (including 2018s)

We are also getting a car back on the dyno next weekend. We really want this working 100% for everyone.
Old 04-29-19, 12:33 PM
E46CT
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2,066 Likes on 1,560 Posts

Interesting on the 2016 30% lag. Just out of curiosity, is OV saying the 30% cannot be tuned out? That implies it's a hardware limitation? I wonder what about it makes it makes it a (permanent?) characteristic.

Interesting as well that Toyota changed the way torque is handled for 17+ MYs seemingly through software changes.

Just curious as to the exact reasons the 16 is different than the rest and what if any hardware was changed. Throttle body the same part# for example? I thought I checked this before and confirmed it was the same. Would be nice to know!
Old 04-29-19, 01:08 PM
OrangeVirus Tuning
Driver

Originally Posted by E46CT
Interesting on the 2016 30% lag. Just out of curiosity, is OV saying the 30% cannot be tuned out? That implies it's a hardware limitation? I wonder what about it makes it makes it a (permanent?) characteristic.

Interesting as well that Toyota changed the way torque is handled for 17+ MYs seemingly through software changes.

Just curious as to the exact reasons the 16 is different than the rest and what if any hardware was changed. Throttle body the same part# for example? I thought I checked this before and confirmed it was the same. Would be nice to know!
It's all software, no hardware changes
Old 04-29-19, 01:22 PM
Thirst16
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeVirus Tuning
Does anyone know WHY Toyota did this? It really doesnt make sense to hinder the user driving experience without some sort of logic behind it.
Old 04-29-19, 06:10 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirst16
Does anyone know WHY Toyota did this? It really doesnt make sense to hinder the user driving experience without some sort of logic behind it.
Perhaps due to the lack of solutions for Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) back in 2015/2016? It's a common problem on direct-injected turbo motors, manifesting between 2-3k rpm under heavy load. Maybe they limited throttle to never get the engine in this zone. Just a theory; don't know for certain.
Old 04-29-19, 06:35 PM
Thirst16
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
Perhaps due to the lack of solutions for Low Speed Pre-Ignition (LSPI) back in 2015/2016? It's a common problem on direct-injected turbo motors, manifesting between 2-3k rpm under heavy load. Maybe they limited throttle to never get the engine in this zone. Just a theory; don't know for certain.
It would be good to know if this is the case or something similar. If so, maybe messing with it isn't the best idea. I would absolutely love to get this car to perform well but not if it means messing things up.

Can't wait to see how everyone's tunes perform over a period of time.
Old 04-29-19, 06:35 PM
gbgary
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by E46CT
wait, what? soooo...2016's can't have the 30% restriction tuned out? i missed seeing that.

Last edited by gbgary; 04-29-19 at 06:39 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 08:09 PM
Clarjoa
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by OrangeVirus Tuning
If everything is the same, any reason why you can just use a 2018 code as the base and send this out to all model years? I would think that a 2018 firmware can be flashed on 2016 hardware?

Last edited by Clarjoa; 04-29-19 at 08:16 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 08:10 PM
chezgk
Intermediate

Received 82 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirst16
It would be good to know if this is the case or something similar. If so, maybe messing with it isn't the best idea. I would absolutely love to get this car to perform well but not if it means messing things up.

Can't wait to see how everyone's tunes perform over a period of time.
API SN PLUS (not SN) / GF6 motor oils already address the LSPI issue. They traced the oil droplets mixing with fuel and combusting to excessive calcium content or something.
Old 04-30-19, 05:30 AM
1stwrldprb
Driver

Received 31 Likes on 19 Posts

I bought this tune the day it came out, on March 8th. I have a 2016 IS200 which is the same year as the development car. Im starting to worry about ever getting my tune. I bought a windows laptop just for this tune. I tested my car down the 1/4 mile drag strip a few times, and I've also dynoed my car for stock whp/wtq numbers. It was posted that Monday (yesterday) everyone would have their tunes, including ones with 2018+ cars. I still don't have my tune. When am I getting my tune? It's frustrating to be patient after waiting almost 2 months, for a product I paid full price for.

Last edited by 1stwrldprb; 04-30-19 at 05:39 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 05:37 AM
OrangeVirus Tuning
Driver

Originally Posted by 1stwrldprb
I bought this tune the day it came out, on March 8th. I have a 2016 IS200 which is the same year as the development car. Im starting to worry about ever getting my tune. I bought a windows laptop just for this tune. I tested my car down the 1/4 mile drag strip a few times, and I've also dynoed my car for stock whp/wtq numbers. It was posted that Monday (yesterday) everyone would have their tunes, including ones with 2018+ cars. I still don't have my tune. When am I getting my tune? Its hard to be patient after almost 2 months of waiting.
Your Tune files have been emailed to you

Sorry we are trying to get these out as fast as we can. We got your ECU file only 2 weeks ago not 2 months ago.
My team member Rafael has been unavailable for more than a week due to some huge earthquakes in his location destroying power. I'm working on all lexus files right now, should have them out to a majority of people in a few hours and hopefully wrap up the rest tonight.

Everyone will absolutely get their tunes, I'm just doing it alone at the moment until Rafael is back up to speed.

We did not say the 2016 30% limit cannot be tuned out. I am just saying that the newer vehicles don't have this same thing.

The reason lexus did this is to provide a flat torque curve.

We will have ALL pending tune versions out today, without any more delay.

Last edited by OrangeVirus Tuning; 04-30-19 at 06:28 AM.
Old 04-30-19, 07:10 AM
zhifan1
Advanced

Received 78 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by 1stwrldprb
I bought this tune the day it came out, on March 8th. I have a 2016 IS200 which is the same year as the development car. Im starting to worry about ever getting my tune. I bought a windows laptop just for this tune. I tested my car down the 1/4 mile drag strip a few times, and I've also dynoed my car for stock whp/wtq numbers. It was posted that Monday (yesterday) everyone would have their tunes, including ones with 2018+ cars. I still don't have my tune. When am I getting my tune? It's frustrating to be patient after waiting almost 2 months, for a product I paid full price for.
Eagerly waiting for your tuned numbers..
Old 04-30-19, 07:21 AM
Lexus989
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OrangeVirus Tuning,
What about mine with error code, did you fix it? Calibration file: 89663-78035
Thank you.
Old 04-30-19, 10:50 AM
Flash5
Pole Position

Received 449 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by chezgk
API SN PLUS (not SN) / GF6 motor oils already address the LSPI issue. They traced the oil droplets mixing with fuel and combusting to excessive calcium content or something.
This is actually just their leading theory. They don’t know EXACTLY what all is causing it, but they did trace one reason back to the calcium in the detergents added to the oils so they are changing to magnesium based detergents.
Old 04-30-19, 11:52 AM
OrangeVirus Tuning
Driver

Originally Posted by Lexus989
OrangeVirus Tuning,
What about mine with error code, did you fix it? Calibration file: 89663-78035
Thank you.
Yes I have a fix if you can test it ( File emailed ) , but I think your ECU has a TSB (Flash update) from Lexus that may be required.

There were brochures about the 2016 IS200T that explains exactly why there is throttle limitation.

1. Throttle was setup as "intelligent throttle" used for making better response through flat torque curve
2. Throttle is used to control torque curve.
and 3. Many people complained and Toyota removed the throttle limitations on updated IS200s (2018+ 8ARFTS cars) and is now controlling torque a different way.

Ford uses a same strategy to control torque, by reducing throttle.

Last edited by OrangeVirus Tuning; 04-30-19 at 02:02 PM.

Quick Reply: IS200t tune